United Airlines and CPAP policies REPORTING AFTER TRAVEL

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rosacer

United Airlines and CPAP policies REPORTING AFTER TRAVEL

Post by rosacer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:30 am

Hi
Does somebody knows if United Airlines allows the CPAPs as a non counted item or they consider it as a carry-on. I have a small wheeled luggage ( 9'' X 14'' X 14'' ) for my CPAP/meds and wonder if it will be counted or not; I don't find any information about it in the United site. I'm leaving from Montreal to Il, I guess it will be a small airplane.

Last edited by rosacer on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TalonNYC

Re: United Airlines and CPAP policies

Post by TalonNYC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 am

Well, if it's tagged as medical equipment, they won't have a choice in the matter. However, you might get an argument if it's a wheelie bag or anything like that. I think they have seen folks tagging carry-on as medical equipment to get around the luggage limits or something.

Show them that it's a CPAP machine, and they'll be forced to let it in the cabin (Federal rules, you can't make someone check vital medical equipment, or even count it as part of their carry-on allowance).

On U.S. Air they didn't even blink at the shoulder-bag I use to carry mine, and I had a small wheelie bag and a laptop case with me. Since it was a smaller plane in once instance, they'd normally make me check the wheelie if I had 2 other "items."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:43 am

rosacer wrote:Hi
Does somebody knows if United Airlines allows the CPAPs as a non counted item or they consider it as a carry-on. I have a small wheeled luggage ( 9'' X 14'' X 14'' ) for my CPAP/meds and wonder if it will be counted or not; I don't find any information about it in the United site. I'm leaving from Montreal to Il, I guess it will be a small airplane.
You can ask to board first as you have a medical issue and you need too use a wheely due to physical limitations. That way there is always room for it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 am

All good advice above. As a handicap you do have specific rights; some airlines have their own lists; here's TSA's "http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm" Look through and print out rules that apply to you; (for example) I had to correct the TSA agent that we could take along a bottle of water FOR MEDICATIONS REQUIRED TO TAKE. First they balked, but they backed down. The key is to know your rights, be firm but not caustic, and REQUEST the serice you deserve. God Bless in your travels.

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 am

Make sure the only thing in the cpap bag is the machine and cpap supplies. If you use that bag on wheels for cpap and other packed things for your trip, you may have a problem.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 am

n0hardmask wrote:All good advice above. As a handicap you do have specific rights; some airlines have their own lists; here's TSA's "http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm" Look through and print out rules that apply to you; (for example) I had to correct the TSA agent that we could take along a bottle of water FOR MEDICATIONS REQUIRED TO TAKE. First they balked, but they backed down. The key is to know your rights, be firm but not caustic, and REQUEST the serice you deserve. God Bless in your travels.
Is a container of distilled (or other) water for a CPAP considered "medications required to take"? When they started restricting liquids I just bought water after I got to my destination (which usually meant having to use spring water, since I wasn't going to bother buying a gallon of distilled water when I only needed a three day to a week supply).

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks very much for the ideas and suggestions, very useful.

And yes my worries are because it's a wheeled bag, but I need it because of my back and shoulder's weakness, I'm not able to carry it on my shoulder for those some times endless distances you need to walk in the airports; a lot of times I haven't been able to find a cart for the luggage unbelievable.

Last time I toke the plane it was Continental for international (big plane) and I had no problem other than they let my only one registered luggage in USA while going down to my destination ( ); but this time I think it will be a very small plane.

I never bring distilled water with me, I bought some in the place I go or I simply use any bottle water if there is no choice and I wash the humidifier container once back (some vinegar makes a perfect job).

I don't put anything else in the cpap luggage other than what is needed to operate it (extension cords, transformer/adapter if needed for a heated hose or 220v outlet) and my collection of meds and vitamins in a pill's box. I know the only problem could be the wheeled issue. But yes it's a great idea to tell them I'm unable to transport it other way which is true. Some times we forget or denies our limitations

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 am

While I agree with the statements made above it probably should be noted that most TSA regs, I believe, apply to domestic flights or flights originating in the United States. OP is asking about a flight originating in another country (Canada). Any of our northern neighbors care to weigh in regarding regs for flights originating in Canada?

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Tip... doesn't make a difference if the plane originates in Canada... if US customs is done in Canada (which it usually is), then the plane flies under US rules.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:11 pm

cflame1, you are right I just remember it we pass US customs here and we even have the dreaded body scanner which I had the honor to try here in Montreal ; weird not everybody was passing there but they chose me I maybe have a terrorist face .

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:15 pm

rosacer wrote:I don't put anything else in the cpap luggage other than what is needed to operate it (extension cords, transformer/adapter if needed for a heated hose or 220v outlet) and my collection of meds and vitamins in a pill's box. I know the only problem could be the wheeled issue. But yes it's a great idea to tell them I'm unable to transport it other way which is true.
Whether the bag has wheels or not does not matter. What does matter is the size and contents. It must be a carry-on size and the contents must be items which are excluded such as meds and cpap and equip. including water for the cpap. Tho the what can depend on who you get and how they slept.

afaik - any airlines which lands or originates in the US must comply with US law which excludes cpap equip. and meds. While the water is a TSA issue the additional carry-on is up to the airline as is whether or not you can use your cpap while airborn.

As ALWAYS you should contact the airline directly to clear up ANY questions.

ps. always bring extra distilled to drink after passing security.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Tip10 wrote:While I agree with the statements made above it probably should be noted that most TSA regs, I believe, apply to domestic flights or flights originating in the United States. OP is asking about a flight originating in another country (Canada). Any of our northern neighbors care to weigh in regarding regs for flights originating in Canada?
The issue here is not the security regulations but the airline its self. But since it is an American airline flying to the USA it has to abide by US laws. Which says cpap should not count as carry on (AirCanada also now says this) However if you are last onto the plane then they are allowed to override that as a safety concern, therefore it is best to board first with the canes, the casts and the babies.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

rosacer

Re: United Airlines and CPAP policies REPORTING AFTER TRAVEL

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm back !

I discovered United Airlines/Continental works with Air Canada.

I was sent by United to the Air Canada desk here in Montreal and toke an Air Canada Jazz airplane. Nobody ask anything about my two cabin luggages + my purse.

Oh yes I looked again like a terrorist, I was examined (for security reasons I won's say what they did). That's OK we need to check if we don't want to blown up in the air. My machine stayed in it's bag no need to take it out in Montreal or in Illinois.

At O'Hare airport I passed the SCANNER (again I looked like a terrorist) and after that I won a small pat down . But that was my fault because I had a small pouch with my US currency in the pocket I forgot to put it in the purse + a lips moisturizer in the other pocket and my tennis elbow strap on the arm

The TSA lady was very polite, she sent all those things back to the RX machine and made a small search around my waist. I was thinking ' OK crap, now she is going to touche me all over' finally not too bad at all.

So nobody asked anything about my CPAP, I have a tag on it and I think they already know what is inside.

People in Elgin/ST-Charles region are so fun, they are the joyful, friendly and happiest people I had never met in all my travels to USA; I really liked my travel to Illinois. Congrats to the Illinois people for their nice way to greet visitors.

Rosie

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the update. Did your bag have wheels?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi Gumby

My CPAP's bag is a computer's luggage with wheels 9'' X 14'' X 14''. It looks big because it's black and has a pocket in the front. The airplane was a CRJ 705, rows of two places and small luggage space. If your luggage is more that 9'' depth X 14'' wide it wont fit in the bin and you will need to put it under the seat.

I repeat 'Nobody asked anything about my CPAP's bag'. I didn't take the CPAP from the bag I even didn't open it.

In Montreal the lady at the RXs machine asked who's that bag was, I answered it was mine and it was my CPAP that was all.

In the CPAP bag I had:
-my PR System One
-the power block
-two extension cords
-the hose with it's hose cover
-my Headrest deconstructed
-a 7 days pill's box
-2 Canadian ziplock bags (from our security system) with spare meds, glasses cleaner, Listerine 3onz, liquid digestion's med 3onz, travel tooth paste, travel deodorizer, lansinoh small travel pot, nasal lubrication gel tube, cortisone nasal spray. They saw all that in the XRay machine and asked no question.

I think if you respect the quantity of liquid you are allow you don't have problems.