Humidifier not working?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rogerconnelly

Humidifier not working?

Post by rogerconnelly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 am

Any suggestions for me here - my machine used to work just fine - I set the humidifier to 4 and I'd have nice warm moist air blowing for me not long after I fell asleep (only noticible if you wake up in the night) - but yesterday I noticed the water tray was sill almost full after a full night of sleep, so last night I paid attention and I don't think the tray is heating up. I checked it this morning just before shutting the unit off and the plate was only the smallest bit warm - and the tray is full of water still.

The only thing I did different was this weekend I took the unit on a camping trip and there I moved the humidifier number to zero to save energy as I was plugged into a battery (worked great). Could I have damaged the unit somehow? Is my only option to take it into my DME, or have others seen anything similar and have some tips for me?

Pugsy

Re: Humidifier not working?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 am

With the recent changes in air temp and ambient humidity the sensors in the PR S1 new mode it may simply not need to add much moisture....hence the not much heat and minimal water use.
Some nights recently I use only a tiny bit of water (setting at 4) and some nights I will use almost a full tank (setting still at 4) this is in the new mode of use with the room humidity sensors.

You can change the humidifier back to the old mode of use (heat only, no sensors) which is called the Classic mode.
Change available in setup menu. It will use a lot more water in the Classic mode.

I am betting your humidifier is working fine but the ambient room humidity is increased so the sensors don't sense the need to add much water.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 am

I just sent back my machine because of humidifier problems.

I started waking up in the middle of the night coughing with the back of the throat completely dry. I bought a new humidifier and still same situation. I touched the humidifier plate in the morning and it was warm, I didn't know if it was a normal temperature.

This situation was intermittent, maybe because some days the air humidity is higher and I didn't need more humidity added, go figure out.

Finally, I managed to get a machine same model, I set it the same as my machine and surprise, each day without fault I saw the water in the tank go lower, no more waking up because of a dry throat.

I suggest you to check it closely, maybe there is a bug with the humidity sensor in these machines. I'm waiting to hear from the DME for my return.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks! Pugsy, in my setup menu I see a "SYSTEM ONE Humidification" that is "on" that I can turn to "off" - does that put me in Classic mode?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks! Pugsy, in my setup menu I see a "SYSTEM ONE Humidification" that is "on" that I can turn to "off" - does that put me in Classic mode?
Yes it does.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 am

Guest wrote:
Thanks! Pugsy, in my setup menu I see a "SYSTEM ONE Humidification" that is "on" that I can turn to "off" - does that put me in Classic mode?

Yes it does.
I may be wrong, but I don't think "on" and "off" have anything to do with classic vs. default mode. "Off" means the humidifier is off.

If you have successfully set the humidifier to classic mode, you will see a "C" before each humidifier setting, e.g. "C-1, C-2, C-3" etc.

It's fiddly to turn classic mode on and off and I think how may differ depending on what firmware you are using.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 am

Janknitz wrote:
Guest wrote:

Yes it does.
I may be wrong, but I don't think "on" and "off" have anything to do with classic vs. default mode. "Off" means the humidifier is off.

If you have successfully set the humidifier to classic mode, you will see a "C" before each humidifier setting, e.g. "C-1, C-2, C-3" etc.

It's fiddly to turn classic mode on and off and I think how may differ depending on what firmware you are using.
You are wrong, Janknitz. "System One Humidification" is the setting that controls humidification type on the current PRS1 firmware. on=smart humidification, off=classic humidification. You turn humidification on or off with the knob.

It's badly worded. Should say "Smart Humidification on/off" or offer "Smart/Classic" as choices.

I believe the process of changing the smart humidification option may vary with the firmware version, but "System One Humidification" on/off means the same thing in all cases where you're offered the choice.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:10 am

archangle wrote:It's badly worded. Should say "Smart Humidification on/off" or offer "Smart/Classic" as choices.
Yep, very badly worded.

I have used M Series machine which of course uses the "old" or Classic way of humidification. It used a lot more water.
At my setting of 3 pretty much all the water with 7 hours of use.

The new PR S 1 Smart Humidification "default" uses much less water without sacrificing the moisture that I need.
In the set up settings Smart Humidification ON...uses less water ......Smart Humidification OFF uses lots of water. I have tried both.

I am hoping that the Smart Humidification being ON this winter gives me relief from the hose rain out to eliminate the added weight from the hose cozy.

To turn the heater off....one just turns the knob on the machine to the left to zero and it won't heat with either choice of humidification in the set up menu.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am

I can say that my ResMed H5i has been using very little water in the last couple of months due to the ambient humidity. When I got it back in March (still cold and very dry air) it was going through a LOT more water every night.

Ah, the joys of xPAP ownership =)

Gep1

Post by Gep1 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am

The humidifier setting number is flashing slowly . The hot plate will not come on . I have tried anew humidifier unit . It worked one night then next night it didn't . Setting number again flashing slowly .
I don't want to buy another humidity unit . It is a System 1 Remstar Pro with C flex +

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 am

Gep1 wrote:The humidifier setting number is flashing slowly . The hot plate will not come on . I have tried anew humidifier unit . It worked one night then next night it didn't . Setting number again flashing slowly .
I don't want to buy another humidity unit . It is a System 1 Remstar Pro with C flex +
The problem might be in the blower unit connections to the humidifier.
Any chance you have access to another blower unit to attach the humidifiers to and see if they work with a different blower?

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 am

look at the connector on the blower ... I have seen a pin push into the connector so it does not make contact
Also there is another thread here about the internal connector getting hot and melting the wire :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102275&p=957492&hil ... re#p957492
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual