BIPAP VS TRILOGY 100

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
journey2009

BIPAP VS TRILOGY 100

Post by journey2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 pm

My son has ALS and has been advised he needs a ventilator. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the Bipap ST and the trilogy 100? The trilogy is so much more expensive and I understand the only difference is that the trilogy will accomodate a Track.. he said he would NOT allow them to do a track.. so would the bipap st be just as good??? All of this is so confusing not to mention expensive.. just trying to find the least expensive most effective way to go. Thanks in advance for any info you might provide.

JohnBFisher

Re: BIPAP VS TRILOGY 100

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 pm

journey2009 wrote:My son has ALS and has been advised he needs a ventilator. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the Bipap ST and the trilogy 100? The trilogy is so much more expensive and I understand the only difference is that the trilogy will accomodate a Track.. he said he would NOT allow them to do a track.. so would the bipap st be just as good??? All of this is so confusing not to mention expensive.. just trying to find the least expensive most effective way to go. Thanks in advance for any info you might provide.
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. We happen to have a member where who has a Trilogy unit. Look for posts from Madalot. She had a neuro-degenerative disorder (a muscular dystrophy issue, if I remember correctly).

Though I am certain others, much more qualified than me will answer, I will give your question a shot.

The difference between the two units can be summarized in one word: Ventilator.

While the BiPAP S/T can keep the airway open. And it can often push fairly high pressures, there are some major differences.

First, the BiPAP S/T often is not sensitive enough when the breathing is fairly shallow to recognize the change in inspiration to expiration. Thus, the BiPAP S/T won't shift pressures. A ventilator will be able to notice the difference.

Second, the BiPAP S/T is not design to run at the same pressures as a ventilator. It will not fully support breathing. I have a unit that is known as an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) that is not even a ventilator. If my breathing becomes more compromised (less patient triggered breathing), I will probably need to move to a ventilator as well - for similar reasons.

Some numbers for that ... Both units have the same maximum IPAP (inhalation Positive Airway Pressure) of 30cm H2O. But the Trilogy also recognizes the amount of air that you breathe. It will be certain you get enough intake, not just let the pressure sit there without the actual inspiration.

Third, the Trilogy should be rented on a monthly basis ... to include the cost of a respiratory technician (RT). Dealing with a ventilator to be certain your son continues to breathe will be an ongoing challenge. Having an RT in the picture will help.

I hope that helps and I hope you are able to find the support here which you and your son need. Please always feel free to ask questions - or just vent. We might not be able to do much, but we will be happy to share the tips and tricks we've learned to live with this type of respiratory device.

Best wishes!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:28 am

I am really sorry about your son.

JohnFisher is correct in that I have a muscular dystrophy (of some kind) and was put in a Trilogy 100 in February 2010. I use it with a mask (no trach).

John has also explained the differences very well (thanks John!). Some members, more technically knowledgeable than me, may add more information.

In my case, the reason I was given the Trilogy over a bipap s/t is what John said -- the bipaps were having trouble recognizing my shallow breathing patterns. Also, my doctor wanted something that could handle changes in my condition, which the Trilogy can.

I use my Trilogy as a bipap s/t, with AVAPS (Average Volume Assured Pressure Support). There are numerous "modes" available on the Trilogy if needed to get the best treatment for a specific condition.

John also points out that with the Trilogy and it's monthly rental, you have regular access to a Respiratory Therapist (or you're supposed to) which will be necessary to get the most out the therapy.

I would be happy to help you any way I can.

Debbie B

Post by Debbie B » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 am

Please give me some advice. My Mom has been using the Trilogy, getting excellent results and improvement since early February. Now she is complaining that the mask is pressing against her bottom jaw/roots of her teeth and causing the teeth to loosen. Have you experienced this? Have you found any solutions?

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Mask is too tight DebbieB, her problem isn't the machine, it is all in the mask

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu May 22, 2014 12:14 pm

cflame1 wrote:Mask is too tight DebbieB, her problem isn't the machine, it is all in the mask
I'm inclined to agree. Mask fit/tightness is the first thing that needs to be addressed in this situation.