Is there a link between hypothyroidism and central apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lynbarnes

Is there a link between hypothyroidism and central apnea?

Post by lynbarnes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 pm

I just read that there may be a link between hypothyroidism and central sleep apnea. My central apnea number has gone up since I started therapy. Any one else have this happen? How often does this happen? I go back for my first follow up in May. Should I be concerned that my central apneas are now always more than my obstructive apneas? Should I try to see the doctor sooner?

Elle

Re: Is there a link between hypothyroidism and central apnea?

Post by Elle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Since it happened after you started treatment you would no longer be hypothyroid would you? It would be interesting to find out what caused it. Glad you are getting it checked.

lynbarnes

Post by lynbarnes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:49 am

The endocrinologist is still titrating--they can't find the right dose. I was talking about my cpap therapy. I only had one central but since I've been on cpap therapy my centrals have gone up significantly. At least from the sleep study.

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant your hypothyroidism therapy.

It will be interesting to see what doc says. I hope it gets resolved.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 am

May I ask for the link, pretty please?

I'm currently hyperthyroid, but I've always had centrals, and I'm just curious what the connection may be!

EDIT:
I've been searching, and I've found a couple articles that state it without references, and one case report, so never mind.

lynbarnes

Post by lynbarnes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 am

I could only find the one case study and then something about hypothyroid and clinically depressed population. I didn't spend huge amounts of time looking further yet...but I have read significantly on hypothyroid and have never seen the link to central apnea before (I didn't know I had apnea then).

The thing that's kicking my butt now is the four migraines in three days. I can luckily keep a migraine from being overwhelming if I catch it early enough, but I've had a migraine every day this week in the morning. Had one last night before bed too. Not really prone to them though, so I'm a bit worried.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:26 am

Ouch, sorry to hear about the migraines, I get those too, although less with my current meds. I *do* still get horrible morning headaches, but without the migraine features, though, and my neuro thinks that is sleep apnea related.

Hope you get sorted out quickly!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 am

What makes you think you have central sleep apnea issues?
lynbarnes wrote:My central apnea number has gone up since I started therapy

How much is "up"? Remember that some centrals (like sleep onset centrals) are simply a normal occurrence and doesn't necessarily mean something bad is going on. Also remember that the machine can and will flag awake/semi awake breathing irregularities as "central" because it has no way to know for sure if you are asleep or not and any awake/semi awake flags have to be discounted.

If we could see what you are seeing on your reports then we would have a better idea what is going on.
Do you know how to post an image of your report so we can see what you are seeing?
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynbarnes

Post by lynbarnes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

I had one central during my sleep study. Now I'm having 3-5 per hour depending on the night, if I'm reading my sleepyhead data correctly. They seem to be occurring about 2 hours after I go to bed and about 2 hours before I wake up. I might be in arousal from hot flashes, but I seem to be feeling like I can't catch my breath during the day, like I'm forgetting to breathe even when I'm awake. It's weird and I don't think I'm doing a good job of explaining it.

howkim

Post by howkim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:41 am

Retired librarian here. I just did a quick search of the medical literature. I didn't find anything significant about any connection between centrals and hypothyroidism.

I am not a mushroom.

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 am

lynbarnes wrote:I had one central during my sleep study. Now I'm having 3-5 per hour depending on the night
What were you originally diagnosed with? AHI? RDI?

I am glad you are treating your apnea first and now trying to get the thyroid properly regulated. I know of cases where doctors tried to treat the thyroid problems and ignored sleep apnea. They failed because the sleep apnea, sleep deprivation and fatigue were wrecking the proper functioning of the thyroid.