Need Help with System One Machine...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bayrat

Need Help with System One Machine...

Post by Bayrat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi, I'm new here but have been using CPAP for fifteen years; REALLY GLAD that I found this board. I opted for a new System One machine and am having a difficult time getting enough humidity out of it. Set on 5, it uses very little water, about 1/3 that small tank. So I turned the auto system off via the user menu and switched it to conventional mode. That was even worse, the thing used perhaps 1/4 tank of water and now my sinus is irritated badly.

I did take the machine back to the supplier who checked it by turning it on and feeling the plate, that was prior to the last two nights use. Why did I waste my time with that trip? I would think this machine on conventional mode would collect water in the hose if turned all the way up. One other issue was that I noticed the pressure was set a 11, where I use 10, so I dropped it back today. Fortunately I found a website that shows how to get into the same setup menu as the clinic uses.

Thanks in advance!

archangle

Re: Need Help with System One Machine...

Post by archangle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Welcome to the board.

Just to be sure, does the "system one humidification" option say "off" and the humidification say "C5"?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bayrat

Post by Bayrat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Thank you for the welcome

Would that C5 be the dial setting on the top of the machine? If so, yes.. The system one definately said "off" and I had the dial for the humidity set all the way up to five with the system both off and on.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Bayrat wrote:Thank you for the welcome

Would that C5 be the dial setting on the top of the machine? If so, yes.. The system one definately said "off" and I had the dial for the humidity set all the way up to five with the system both off and on.
With the machine turned off, turn the dial to "Setup". Press the dial. Turn the knob to "humidifier." Be sure it says "C5," not just "5". That indicates the smart humidification is off and that it's set to the highest level.

Use the machine for a while, turn it off, and see if the plate on the bottom of the humidifier tank is warm.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bayrat

Post by Bayrat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:05 pm

OK, I will hook it back up and check that particular setting, as is I have replaced it with my old S8 again until I can figure out what is up. The plate does get warm, I did that test, but not as warm as I thought it should based upon my other machine.

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

I have a system one Cpap. My machine uses very little water also. I can go about 4 nights on a tank with setting 3. System one humidification is
turned to on. I don't have any problems with dry sinus's, though. My nose is always kinda wet and runny.

Jerry

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm

The prs1's do a very good job of preventing rainout. They have a relative humidity sensor and as a resultthe humidifier is very efficient at putting enough humidity in the air without going overboard. So you should never see moisture in the hose and the water usage will be very low unless you live in a very dry climate.

This may be very different than your old machine. With the humidifier set to C5, you may have too much humidity and that can be the reason from your sinus irritation.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Bayrat wrote:I would think this machine on conventional mode would collect water in the hose if turned all the way up.
If you want more moisture you can add an HC 150 inline with your machine.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Bayrat

Post by Bayrat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I will mess with it some more this week but for now the S8 is back on the nightstand. As for too much humidity, I guess anything is possible but in the past, this same sinus issue has occurred due to operator error i.e. not checking the reservoir and running out of water. Even with a mask collecting water I have never had a sinus problem. We all react differently, the first time on CPAP at the sleep center my sinus were dried out utilizing their "passover" humidifier.

Bayrat

Post by Bayrat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh, and to reiterate, the medical supplier set my pressure at 11 rather than 10 and I did not notice that until today. It seemed the darn thing was blowing too hard but then I attributed that to a worn out predecessor going soft over time and me getting used to that. Surprising how much difference 1 cm makes.

Bayrat

Re: Need Help with System One UPDATE!!

Post by Bayrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 am

Update: I checked and yes, the setting internally is C5 and when used as a conventional CPAP humidification is almost nil. Took my sinus several days to recover from being cooked.

I contacted Phillips, explained that my medical supplier "tested" the machine by feeling the heat on the plate. Phillips returned my inquiry and told me to contact my medical supplier or my doctor for resolution, basically blowing me off. NEVER again will I deal with this company. I will continue to use my old S8 and perhaps I can fix this Phillips POS System One enough to have it for a spare. Don't know but certainly dissatisfied with the unit.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Bayrat,
Bayrat wrote: Phillips returned my inquiry and told me to contact my medical supplier or my doctor for resolution, basically blowing me off. NEVER again will I deal with this company.
Seriously, don't you think you're being a little silly here. What did you expect, that they'd send out an emergency factory service crew to fix your humidifier? If you call the Ford Corporate office with an issue, they send you to the dealer. Same thing here.

Just thought I'd tell you what my machine does. If I turn the humidifier to 1, it uses up all the water by 3am and I have to wake up and add water. I know it's a thermostat thing...but I'm happy with it on zero. Plenty of humidity.

Jamis

Carl LaFong

Post by Carl LaFong » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 am

OP, never mind how much water it uses -- At what setting do your sinuses not become irritated?

archangle

Re: Need Help with System One UPDATE!!

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 am

Bayrat wrote:Phillips returned my inquiry and told me to contact my medical supplier or my doctor for resolution, basically blowing me off. NEVER again will I deal with this company.
Does ResMed do any better in terms of being willing to deal directly with the patient?

Useful Links.

Bayrat

Post by Bayrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:50 pm

jamiswolf wrote:Hi Bayrat,
Bayrat wrote: Phillips returned my inquiry and told me to contact my medical supplier or my doctor for resolution, basically blowing me off. NEVER again will I deal with this company.
Seriously, don't you think you're being a little silly here. What did you expect, that they'd send out an emergency factory service crew to fix your humidifier? If you call the Ford Corporate office with an issue, they send you to the dealer. Same thing here.

Just thought I'd tell you what my machine does. If I turn the humidifier to 1, it uses up all the water by 3am and I have to wake up and add water. I know it's a thermostat thing...but I'm happy with it on zero. Plenty of humidity.

Jamis
Silly you say?

What I expect is that a problem with a NEW machine, under warranty, would be addressed by the manufacturer after being informed that the medical supply company is NOT going to do any more with it than see if the plate gets warm. THAT is what I expect, not certain what your expectations are after purchasing a new product. WTF is my doctor going to do with it, perform surgery on it?? Sorry, but I don't lay down just because someone kicks me i.e. this manufacturer.