Swift FX : Which size pillow is right?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scottjf8

Swift FX : Which size pillow is right?

Post by scottjf8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Help me size my pillows properly. I've been using the large but think it's WAY too big for me.

(notice the welt on my nose, from the Quattro... gonna let it heal before going back to it, plus waiting for my padacheek)

So here's the 4 sizes FX pillows. Which one should I be using?

Extra Small

Small:

Medium

Large

I tried the XS and S a while back but when I exhale they whistle. Any idea why?

xenablue

Re: Swift FX : Which size pillow is right?

Post by xenablue » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 pm

IMHO, only you can say which size pillow is right for YOU. From the pics it's difficult also, as you don't have the headgear on to get a true feel for which size would work best for you.

I use a Swift FX, and although I have very small nares find the Medium pillows work best for ME. I tried XS, S and M.

Maybe you need to do some more experimenting. My guess for the whistling pillows in the smaller sizes is that they're too small and/or too loose and you're not getting a good seal.

Cheers,
xena

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:00 pm

I use the Swift FX pillows. I read on this blog that you should make decision based on inflated pillows. They should fit nicely in the outside of your nares, not too far in. They should not be so big as to give you pig nose. If you are hearing whistling while fully inflated, can you alleviate the whistle by repositioning or fidgeting with the position of the pillows or does it persist? If it persists, than use the next size up and see how that works for you. Some people have commented that they have different size nares on each side. I would think there would have to be more than a neglible difference in size to make a difference in sizing the pillows.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:38 pm

By your pics, I'd start with the large. But as others have said, you won't know until you fit them with the mask (which changes the angle), and your prescribed pressure.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Scott, looking at the pictures supplied by Resmed (I think they're in the video). Their sizing seems to be based on the spacing of the nares, not the size. If you notice, the space between the pillows goes up with size. In my case, the small pinches my nose and causes some soreness, the medium fits perfectly, as far as spacing, but tends to leak more. So....?
Jay

P.S. I find those little round bandages about the size of a nickle helpful with sores on the bridge of the nose. I get the kind labled "sheer" or something like that. I find they protect the nose but don't cause leaks.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:22 pm

My respiratory therapist told me that most men take a medium. Try that.

NYcpap

Post by NYcpap » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:30 pm

The therapist told me medium. They leaked easily so I switched to large. Large is almost leak free. Pick one and see how it works. In my experience, keeping the head gear "not very tight" works best. It's counter-intuitive.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Apneawho is right--the only way to tell is with the pillows fully inflated--the mask must be assembled and the machine on. See my blog link below for the "Swift FX fitting guide".

I'd start with the mediums, and if you can't get a good seal with those, try going UP a size first. If it's between two sizes, select the larger size as it will allow you to breathe more freely. But you say you don't think the large is too big--why? If it seals properly and doesn't rub and irritate your nose, it should be fine.

The X and XS whistled because of air leakage.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Scott

I would feel bad making a judgement based on your pictures.
As others have said you really need to attach the pillows to the mask and use the whole thing.
Also in my opinion you should use the mask fit feature of your S9.
Using the mask fit allows the machine to run and for the dual wall pillow design to function.
The pillows will then "plump out" under pressure thus fitting narrow and rounded nares differently. You may find the Small ones no longer whistle.
Also during the mask fit you can move around into different sleeping positions and see if the pillows become dislodged creating leaks.

Its a bit of work but you have everything you need to do it

Good luck.

scottjf8

Post by scottjf8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Janknitz wrote:Apneawho is right--the only way to tell is with the pillows fully inflated--the mask must be assembled and the machine on. See my blog link below for the "Swift FX fitting guide".

I'd start with the mediums, and if you can't get a good seal with those, try going UP a size first. If it's between two sizes, select the larger size as it will allow you to breathe more freely. But you say you don't think the large is too big--why? If it seals properly and doesn't rub and irritate your nose, it should be fine.

The X and XS whistled because of air leakage.
The whistle is when I exhale. Also I say they're too large because I can see them "fold up" or not go in my nostril cleanly.

scottjf8

Post by scottjf8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:34 pm

NYcpap wrote:The therapist told me medium. They leaked easily so I switched to large. Large is almost leak free. Pick one and see how it works. In my experience, keeping the head gear "not very tight" works best. It's counter-intuitive.
My issue is that when I turn in bed, the pillows pull out of my nose when the headgear is light.

Here's the Small with the headgear tightened and the machine ON

Here's them pulled a bit out of my nose.. seems like a decent fit to me

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:03 pm

The smalls are too small--they either go too far into your nose when the headgear is tight and they don't make a proper seal when the headgear is loose. Try the mediums. The pillows should NOT sit inside your nose--they should seal around the outside of the nostrils.

You can alleviate the problem of the pillows being pulled away from your nose when you move around in bed with two fixes:
1. Sew some velcro hook tape (the stiff side) INSIDE the back strap so it catches on your hair and stablizes the headgear. This is not uncomfortable at all, even though it sounds like it would be.

2. Hang your hose over your head using a commercial hose hanger or you can jury-rig something of your own. Make sure it allows you to move around freely in bed without pulling on the nasal pillows.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Scott, I had lots of whistling problems with nasal pillows. I eliminated all whistling by removing the allergen filter
from my cpap. Try it as a test. You may be surprised.

Jerry

scottjf8

Post by scottjf8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 pm

mrnetwurm wrote:Scott, I had lots of whistling problems with nasal pillows. I eliminated all whistling by removing the allergen filter
from my cpap. Try it as a test. You may be surprised.

Jerry
Is that the little filter thing in the back of my S9?

scottjf8

Post by scottjf8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Janknitz wrote:
2. Hang your hose over your head using a commercial hose hanger or you can jury-rig something of your own. Make sure it allows you to move around freely in bed without pulling on the nasal pillows.
I tried this but that little hose coming off of the FX would still pull them out...