Has anybody had electrical compatibility issues with travel?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Has anybody had electrical compatibility issues with travel?

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:10 pm

For instance, has anybody found an accommodation with sockets other than the one listed for the country(ies) visited, or one where there are no wall sockets (i.e. the lamps are hardwired into the wall)?

Goofproof

Re: Has anybody had electrical compatibility issues with travel?

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:10 pm
For instance, has anybody found an accommodation with sockets other than the one listed for the country(ies) visited, or one where there are no wall sockets (i.e. the lamps are hardwired into the wall)?
Empty Minds Want to Know! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:10 pm
A curious question! I'm not a serious world traveler and generally don't stray very far from the normal tourist traps, but I have never seen a setup other than what was normal for a country. Of course, there are lots of places in the world where "normal" is a jury rigged setup - perhaps a genset that runs a few hours a day. I have been told that the hot water is only on a certain times, and I've been on boats where the electricals are worthless, but I've never seen a wall socket that doesn't belong in that country.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi:
I have never traveled to third or fourth world countries but I have gone to perhaps a half dozen Continental European countries, England, Scotland and the nation of Ireland, numerous provinces of Canada and to New Zealand and never experienced any power outlet problems. Of course, the sockets differ from country, though the British Isles and New Zealand all had the same outlet type, designed for huge three prong plugs. Canada has the same type outlets that we have in USA. I do appreciate that the modern CPAP devices all seem to have the universal voltage acceptance so except for my first machine back in 1988 which did not accept 240 volt service I never had to take a personal transformer.. With foreign travel one must get the appropriate socket adapters for the countries visited. If I recall correctly, I got my adapters at AAA but I see them on-line as well.

The Duke

sam.walker.92351

Post by sam.walker.92351 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm

The only issue I ever had traveling with my CPAP machine was in India. The hotel owners had disabled the outlets next to the bed because people were using them for ironing and ruining the bed spreads. When I showed them what I needed it for, they fixed it for me in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 am

I have stayed in a hotel in Spain where there were no outlets in the bedroom, only in the adjacent bathroom. As a result, I never travel without a 15'/20' extension cord. I've never needed it other than that one hotel, but I am prepared.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Passport in-hand

Post by Passport in-hand » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am

Please have a look at my post.
Send me a message if you have any other specifics.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156962&p=1200859#p1200859
RESMED AIRCURVE 10 VAUTO
Nasal: Fisher and Paykel Eson 1
PAP user since 2014

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 am

RandyJ wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 am
I have stayed in a hotel in Spain where there were no outlets in the bedroom, only in the adjacent bathroom. As a result, I never travel without a 15'/20' extension cord. I've never needed it other than that one hotel, but I am prepared.
The first time that I traveled outside of the U.S. was in 2000 to Ireland. I'd been using a CPAP machine for about one year. The very first hotel had an electric socket so far away from the bed that the two extension cords that I packed didn't reach. Fortunately, after a whole exchange about my needing a converter, they gave me an extension cord. With the one they gave me, my adapter, and the two I packed, it just reached the bed! Interestingly, nothing quite like this has happened again (now I pack three cords).

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 am

Passport in-hand wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am
Please have a look at my post.
Send me a message if you have any other specifics.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156962&p=1200859#p1200859
Thanks. The only thing that I would add to that is that unless one is using a very old CPAP (or a stand-alone humidifier), it's pretty universal that it can run on any voltage from 100 to 240, and 50 or 60 hz. Thus, it will work on standard household (or "hotelhold") current in just about any country in the world. It will also run on most cruise ships, riverboats, and overnight trains. Beware that on some aircraft, electricity is supplied at 400 hz which could be an issue.