Nasal Pillows and Sore Front Teeth?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ivan101

Nasal Pillows and Sore Front Teeth?

Post by Ivan101 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi all, I have had 2 nights with my cpap machine now. The first night I was a little sore on the skin between my nostrils, but this morning my front teeth felt sore-like the day after getting braces tightened. Has anyone else experienced this...I REALLY like how small nasal pillow masks are and don't want to switch to a different kind, but I also think it's probably bad if it continues to move my teeth every night...any suggestions? Thanks for all the help for us newbees!

bdp522

Re: Nasal Pillows and Sore Front Teeth?

Post by bdp522 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Sounds like the mask is too tight. Try adjusting it to where it doesn't put so much pressure on the area without increasing leaks. If you can't get that to happen you may need to try a different nasal pillow mask. There are several out there and they all fit a bit differently.

Brenda

llavalle

Post by llavalle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 pm

It could be too tight OR you're tongue thrusting...

Make sure it's not too tight but it you continue to experience the problem, you're like me : you push your teeth with your tongue because you need to hold the air in. I've had this issue since Day 1... Last week, my dentist made me a retainer and I'm starting to use that to prevent my teeth from moving... (It's basically a bruxism splint, on the upper teeths)

Do this test :
1-Open your mouth
2-Breathe heavily from your nose.
3-Make sure no air is coming in or out of your mouth
You'll see that the only way to prevent the air from coming out of your mouth is to have you tongue (usually the back part of it) touching your palate. With the air pressure, it's even harder to do. Test it! Open your mouth with the CPAP on and analyse what your tongue is doing... You'll see that after a few hours, you tongue gets tired of holding that from the back and an "air pocket" slowly make its way to the front... and this is when, In my case, I hold the pressure with my tongue pushing on my teeth...

This is called tongue thrusting..

Let me know what you think...

Ivan101

Post by Ivan101 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Tongue thrusting eh? I'm the kind of person who likes to google things, but I can only imagine what a search for that might bring up So I'll refrain. I'll try loosening the mask tonight...my nose was more sore and red this morning than last as well, so that makes more sense...especially since I already wear a bruxism retainer (but it's soft silicone-like so not sure it would prevent movement of my teeth as a unit, just as individuals...). Since the first night I was so much less sore and I THINK I tightened it up some last night (not sure though) we'll see what happens tonight and I'll let you know how my face feels tomorrow morning.

Thanks to both of you!

welki

Post by welki » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Ivan, I thought along the same lines as you ... and really laughed out loud!

I have the same problem as Havalle and you, have been trying to adjust for a couple of months and it seems to be getting better. Old habits, like tongue-thrusting, are hard to break

... once you get past all the superficial garbage, the rest is gravy

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Ivan101 wrote: I'll try loosening the mask tonight...my nose was more sore and red this morning than last as well, ...

Since the first night I was so much less sore and I THINK I tightened it up some last night (not sure though) we'll see what happens tonight and I'll let you know how my face feels tomorrow morning.

Thanks to both of you!
Which mask are you wearing? At what pressure?

You need to start reading the forum.....search for Lansinoh. A dab applied to each nare each nite will prevent the soreness.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Ivan101

Post by Ivan101 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Swift LT for her nasal pillows at 12...I've been reading the forum but the search feature is so clunky (or I just haven't figured out the best way to get what I want) that it's hard to find what I want. Do you need a prescription for Lansinoh? Where do you get it?

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Ivan101, you should be perfectly fine with the ResMed Swift LT or her on a pressure of 12. I use the Lt standard and I have been very happy with it for several years.

I, also, think that maybe you are pulling too tight on the straps. It should just barely sit in your nostrils. The top strap is the one that will make your nose sore if you tighten it up much. Perhaps, if possible, try another size pillows. Sometimes just a simple pillows switch is the miracle worker.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Use this Advanced Search feature - found at the top of each forum page right under the Home Icon.
search.php

You can then search the results to drill down even further.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=%2Blansinoh++

OR you can use Google to search the cpaptalk.com forum
http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... 06&bih=618

Or just use Google
http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... gle+Search

Lansinoh is intended for breast feeding mothers so you can buy it where ever baby bottles are sold. I buy mine at Walmart.

HTH

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

fadedgirl

Post by fadedgirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 pm

My teeth move if I wear nasal masks or regular FFMs. It could be some of the things the other folks have mentioned, so definitely troubleshoot, but for me its simply that my teeth move very easily. I can wear the Dream Weaver nasal mask for a while, but then it happens with that one, too. I had high hopes for the Quattro FX, but same problem.

I have resigned myself to wearing only the F&P 431, which hits under the chin instead of on it, due to this. Luckily its a great mask and I have excellent results with it. And I wake up every day without any pain.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I had the same problem and even had a root canal thinking the tooth had a problem . The nasal pillows too tight where the cause. Me too I thought at the beginning it was bruxism, I get a special mouth guard made by the dentist for it but the pain continued. Finally I arrived to the conclusion it was the mask.

The moment I loosened the mask the problem started diminishing and now I have no more pain. Some days I feel a little discomfort and that's it. Yes your mask should be pushing your nose up, that was my problem, somebody wrote there is a nerve we can irritate and produce that pain I thinks that's true.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:05 am

Ivan101 wrote:Do you need a prescription for Lansinoh? Where do you get it?
Nope, no prescription is needed. But---the real purpose of Lansinoh is to soothe and prevent the dry, cracked nipples that often accompany breast feeding. So it's found with the BABY supplies--things like bottles, formula, diaper rash creams, and so forth. Comes in a SMALL purple box---so it can be easy to miss if you're not actively looking for it. And there are a few stores that carry a generic brand. A tiny bit goes a long way in soothing the nostrils. And for some people, the tackiness of it helps get a better seal with nasal pillows.

As to the problem of sore front teeth. Yes, the problem could be tongue thrusting. Or bruxism. Or both. But wearing the mask too tight will likely aggravate both of those problems. Hence, start by consciously loosening the back strap of the mask since that's the one that is likely pulling the pillows down and into putting pressure on your upper lip and upper teeth. If the mask feels too unstable after loosening that back strap, you might want to ever so slightly tighten the upper strap on the mask since that strap helps pull the pillows UP onto the nostrils. But be very careful to not OVER TIGHTEN that upper strap: An overtight upper strap can pull the pillows INTO the nostrils, which is as uncomfortable as it sounds.

And although you are not using the Swift FX, many of Janknit's fitting tips for the FX will likely apply to your mask as well. You can find them at http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/swift- ... ing-guide/

Best of luck

Ivan101

Post by Ivan101 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone! I got my Lansinoh this morning (took me a bit to find it . Is it just helpful at night, or should I be using it in the morning when I get up too?

I loosened things up last night...it felt so loose, but when I woke up this morning it was still in place without any leaks and a lot less pain...just a bit on the skin between my nostrils and ONE sore BOTTOM tooth (weird, lol). My upper teeth were just ever so slightly "tight" feeling. I'll try more adjusting tonight as well...I put on the strap cozys as I think this might help pull the mask off my upper lip a bit more too...we'll see.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Ivan101 wrote:Thanks everyone! I got my Lansinoh this morning (took me a bit to find it . Is it just helpful at night, or should I be using it in the morning when I get up too?
Can't hurt to put more on to soothe the irritated skin in the morning, and it might help a lot in getting it to heal more quickly. I've been fighting badly chapped lips all along. The thing that finally helped was my PCP calling in a request for a custom made petroleum-free lip balm to a local pharmacist that still has the equipment and personnel to actually mix stuff up on the premises. So if the Lansinoh doesn't completely take care of the problem, you can try that route too.
I loosened things up last night...it felt so loose, but when I woke up this morning it was still in place without any leaks and a lot less pain...
Ah yes, now you're privy to the secret of properly fitting the mask. Feels so much better doesn't it? And stays in place and doesn't leak! The joys of a properly fit mask are not to be underestimated.

Don't you wish the DME folks would learn this secret instead of simply saying: "Tighten the mask, tighten the mask, tighten the mask ...."

rosacer

Re: Nasal Pillows and Sore Front Teeth? Last news

Post by rosacer » Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 am

OK, here I have the last news about my front teeth pain in case this could be useful for other members.

I went to see the dentist, I had panoramic Xrays and an examination which showed nothing wrong with the teeth. I have no sinus problem at all.

Then I finally went to see my pneumologist yesterday. He told he had never seen a case as me ( I believe him ), he added there is a nerve just in the front of the nose (where is the separation between the nares). He said if the cushion pillows makes a too pronounced piggy nose you can thorn the nerve or irritate it. So, I went out his office with a prescription for a FFM which I need to use for 3 MONTHS to see if the pain is going to fade away.

I have been using a homemade chin strap with the Headrest deconstructed, that had reduced a bit the pain but it's still there some days worst than others, I have the impression that my Doc is right about a problem with that nerve. I will try his suggestion and let you know if that works. He said to try the FFM as the easiest solution first. He toke the time to record all the information in his recorder, I imagine he will investigate on the problem and will suggest something else if that doesn't works.