Leaks, Ripping Off Mask - and an almost pleasant surprise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
welki

Leaks, Ripping Off Mask - and an almost pleasant surprise

Post by welki » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi, folks! I'm an infrequent poster, but incessant reader of this board and find that many have experienced the same pesky leaks and discoveries of masks torn off during the night that I have.

I've been on APAP since April of this year and my therapy, for the most part, is going well. I still don't like the way my teeth feel in the morning (sort of pushed in, even though my mask is not tight by any means), still hate my chin strap (so I don't wear it) and remain a persistent mouth breather. That said, I had my six month follow up this week and I remain enamoured of my respiratory therapist (she's really a doll!).

I told her that, for the last couple of months and almost nightly, I take off my mask a few hours before morning. I suffer from allergies and for the first time in years, had a nasty cold a couple of weeks ago. She suggested that what might be happening is that my nasal passages become dry and/or congested and, because I've been using tape to keep my yap shut, when I can't breathe through my nostrils (or open my mouth), reflex takes over. I move around (create leaks) and remove the mask and tape. Seems like a no-brainer, but it never occurred to me that might be happening.

Anyway, she suggested I try using a nasal rinse about 30 to 60 minutes before bed and I rolled my eyes. Ewwww. Neti-Pot? Ugh. I remember seeing something similar in a yoga book years ago. Disgusting! Those were my first reactions. She said there's another product made by the same company (NeilMed Sinus Rinse) and gave me a sample to try. I balked. I whined. I Googled like crazy. I sucked it up and tried it and boyhowdy, it works! No kidding .. for the last three nights, the mask has remained on all night and, as an added benefit, my leaks have been minimal (really minimal).

For those whose initial reactions were the same, I can tell you that I thought the process would gross me out, I'm sure you're on the same wavelength image-wise. It didn't. It does feel a little strange, but not painful and if it will get me through the night, I'll use it. Might be a coincidence, but I've not taken any antihistamines or decongestants for the last two nights and woke up clear. And no tape .. I've gone back to the chin strap. Still hate the way the buckles (or whatever they're called) dig into my mandibular joints, but much prefer the discomfort over taping and leaks. (And it's also nice to, once again, be able to tell my ol' man that I love him if I happen to wake up during the night.)

welki

... once you get past all the superficial garbage, the rest is gravy

Pugsy

Re: Leaks, Ripping Off Mask - and an almost pleasant surprise

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Congratulations on the neti pot milestone. I have yet to have the guts to try it despite any number of dares from my friends here on the forum. My sister uses it and she is such a weenie, if she can do it anyone should be able to but I just haven't been able to get up the cahonies (sp wrong but you know what I mean) to try it. Fortunately I rarely have enough nasal congestion to even remotely consider needing such a remedy. Until I am desperate enough, I doubt I will.

I am certainly glad it has helped you though. Picture me taking my hat off to you for having the guts that I don't have.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

welki

Post by welki » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Pugsy! I haven't tried the Neti-Pot either ... I just can't get past the physics of the process!

What I've been using is an alternative to the Neti-Pot, the Sinus Rinse:

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

You regulate the pressure and the volume. It's really not bad. Only caveat is that you should do it when you're going to be home for a while or at night, at least a half hour before bed. It hasn't happened to me, but my RT said that some people's sinuses will retain a little of the solution in their sinuses/nasal passages and spontaneously release it when they least expect it, usually when they bend down. When she tried the Sinus Rinse out for the first time (so she could decide if she wanted to recommend it to her patients), she did it right before a client attended. She was writing up his receipts when she had a "surprise" ... on his paperwork. He did not want his receipts

... once you get past all the superficial garbage, the rest is gravy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh it doesn't matter. I haven't done that other rinse either. Color me chicken. You are still one up on me. I am so, so lucky that at least nasal congestion hasn't been a bother to me for many, many years now.
Knock on wood..don't want to jinx myself. Even a couple of upper respiratory infections were minimal and short lived.
I even learned to keep my mouth shut and no longer have to bother with tape or chin straps. So I count my blessings for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Sinus rinse isn't at all that difficult or unpleasant. It's really no more disgusting than blowing your nose. For some people it's a real godsend.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I've done these rinses since an ENT gave me his recipe and instructions back in the early 90's. They work.

Haven't had a sinus infection in many years. And when I'm blocked they get rid of the inflammation. I've been lazy lately but will start doing them again every other day at least for the winter to keep everything clean and the potential colds and infections at bay.

Glad they work for you, too!

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Katagal

Post by Katagal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: the buckles on your chin strap - I have a chin strap with velcro straps that join at the top of my head (no buckles) and its made of neoprene so its soft to the touch, I am not bothered by the chin strap but the drooling is another matter
Brisbane Queensland, Australia

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm a big believer in sinus rinses--I use the Neilmed squeeze bottle.

Here's a new one for me, that I came across on a sleep tech board: apparently, sticking your tongue out and holding it out for a minute or so will relieve stuffiness. Has anyone tried that one? Sounds crazy, but I tried it for about 30 seconds and thought I did notice an improvement...

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 pm

welki wrote: Anyway, she suggested I try using a nasal rinse about 30 to 60 minutes before bed and I rolled my eyes. Ewwww. Neti-Pot? Ugh. I remember seeing something similar in a yoga book years ago. Disgusting! Those were my first reactions. She said there's another product made by the same company (NeilMed Sinus Rinse) and gave me a sample to try. I balked. I whined. I Googled like crazy. I sucked it up and tried it and boyhowdy, it works! No kidding .. for the last three nights, the mask has remained on all night and, as an added benefit, my leaks have been minimal (really minimal).
i
This was my exact reaction when somebody on this board dared me to try a neti-pot or NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle back in March when the trees started pollinating here in Buffalo. I kept posting about how I hated the return of the early spring with tree pollen season and how it was causing additional snoring, which was leading to additional pressure once I was switched to Auto BiPAP, which was leading to additional aerophagia, which was aggravating the insomnia. And somebody (I can't remember who) kept telling me: "Neti-pot or sinus rinse bottle. Try it. It works." And late one night, the poster actually phrased it as a dare. And I couldn't turn the dare down. So I went out and bought the thing the next day and tried it that night. And I was simply blown away by just how effective it is AND how much less gross it is in practice than it seems when it's described in writing.

Since then, I can count on my fingers the number of nights that I've not used it. And almost all of those missed nights were bad ones for the congestion.

Pugsy, you really, really ought to screw up your courage and try it just once!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:34 pm

robysue wrote: Pugsy, you really, really ought to screw up your courage and try it just once!
How about I say that the next time I catch a cold...I will try it then. Maybe the sinus rinse thing.
How could I possibly judge any potential rewards from this torture if I currently have zero issues with my sinuses or nasal mucosa.?

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

I never gave thought to the possibility that leaks could be a result of moving about because of the discomfort caused by by congestion.

Thanks for posting that.

Another happy user of the Neilmed sinus rinse.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Robysue,

Hubby has alergic rhinitis. Think he should try the sinus rinse? If you say yes, I'll just go ahead and dare him. Like some men, he doesn't respond well to sublte hints or suggestions.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:17 pm

ThirdOutOfFive wrote:Robysue,

Hubby has alergic rhinitis. Think he should try the sinus rinse? If you say yes, I'll just go ahead and dare him. Like some men, he doesn't respond well to sublte hints or suggestions.
Yes, he should try it.

Yes, you should dare him.

That's the only way I got my hubby to try it. He won't use it every night. But he will use it when he's really stuffy and can't get rid of the congestion by simply blowing his nose.