Can't make up my mind on which mask to use... Quattro or FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
meissen

Can't make up my mind on which mask to use... Quattro or FX

Post by meissen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 am

So I originally started out with the Mirage Quattro Medium. I felt like the mask was too big - the air would routinely leak at the bridge of my nose and at the bottom left corner by my lips (for some reason it was always the left side, never the right). I went to my DME and they gave me a Quattro FX Small. He "fit" me by just putting the mask to my face, and at the DME it felt OK but when I got home and hooked to the pressure it didn't feel as good. As a positive, I could immediately tell the Quattro FX had a better fit for the bridge of my nose to avoid irritation. But it also felt like the mask was riding the bridge of my nose lower than the Quattro did and it was sitting below the bone so it was putting pressure on my sinuses and making it harder to breath. I found myself pushing the mask up towards my forehead more which resulted in the bottom of the mask being too high. It's been 3 nights now and so far each night I've awoken with my mouth open and the mask is going across my mouth (only covering my upper lip, my lower lip being outside of the mask). I went to the DME and told them I think the mask is too small but he insisted that it fits correctly. He said I could try getting a Medium today, but at a different store. Should I stick with the Small mask longer or should I swap to the Medium and give it a shot? I asked if they had chin straps for the Small mask so my mouth wouldn't open and he said no.

Here's a look at leaks with the Mirage Quattro (medium):

And here's how my longest night with the Quattro FX (small) has looked:

I don't know if I just need to dial in my Quattro FX mask more or if I should just go to the Medium...

Denial Dave

Re: Can't make up my mind on which mask to use... Quattro or FX

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:33 am

Both are excellent masks.

My bipap pressures are similar to yours... mine are 21/15

My only issue with the FX mask was it's movement during my sleep. It seemed like everytime I rolled over or moved, it was shoved up or down on my face & leaks erupted. I tried having it loose as well as really pulling on the straps tightly.

The Quattro upper forehead part has given me the stability that I need. It took me 3-4 nights to get accustomed to it. After following the guidance in "taming the Mirage Quattro" and it has worked great for me. My leaks are well below 15 most nights.

I did get the dreaded red bridge of the nose syndrome from the Quattro> I applied a small band-aid on the bridge of my nose for 3 days. it healed nicely and I have not had any issues since then.

Any strap marks that I may have on my face in the morning are caused by my head pressing against the pillow not from the straps.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 am

I'm just a regular CPAP user, but I can echo your sentiments. The FX for me would be great unless I rolled over at night. The Quattro seems to stay put as I toss and turn.

There are others on this forum that have tamed the FX and can wear it with minimal leaks, but I find that for me the Quattro is easier to manage. True, the mask is HUUUGE, but very stable for active sleepers.

dave01978

Post by dave01978 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm

TalonNYC wrote:I'm just a regular CPAP user, but I can echo your sentiments. The FX for me would be great unless I rolled over at night. The Quattro seems to stay put as I toss and turn.

There are others on this forum that have tamed the FX and can wear it with minimal leaks, but I find that for me the Quattro is easier to manage. True, the mask is HUUUGE, but very stable for active sleepers.
Same here, had the quatro, had them swap out when the fx came out (they had me keep the old mask which I am glad i did)
I switched becuase the quatro was hurting my nose (I think i did something to it becuase its been fine since it got better with the fx)

and yeah have the fx on a shelf with a new liner, and the reliable quattro which is almost 2 years old now

meissen

Post by meissen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:38 am

The problem I seem to keep having is long term seal. Yesterday I swapped the Quattro FX small for a medium and I feel the fit was much better. I *finally* understood what it meant to have a seal without having to strap the mask down as tight as it would go. I was able to get a good seal by allowing the "air cushion" to inflate... this is a first for me. Unfortunately, through the night it "sprung a leak" from the bridge of my nose again and I couldn't quite get it to stop without having to really crank down on the straps again. It's just frustrating that my problem with the CPAP is the leaks. I can handle wearing the mask, I can handle the noise, I can handle the pressure, I can handle the painful gas cramps I'm getting from always needing to burp or break wind... it's the air blowing into my eyes or the farting noise the mask makes when it leaks that keeps me up all night fighting with the mask. Ah well, my AHI was the best it's been since I started therapy in the beginning of the month so I guess waking up every hour or two is a trade off.

I'm curious, though, how the machine measures leak. Last night when I was trial fitting the medium mask I had no leaks yet the machine said the leak was 9. I'm not sure how it got that number.

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:40 am

I use a resmed mask with F&P headgear and it leaks far less. You might try swapping the headgear and see if it helps.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 am

meissen, check this for a source of leaks and fix for the Fx: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74726&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 15#p726947

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I would love to be able to use my FXI. I tried on line to see difference between the F&P straps and resmed and can't it.

Can you explain how the F & P straps work better??

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison