ITCHING UNDER MASK

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JamesW6175

ITCHING UNDER MASK

Post by JamesW6175 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 am

After I put my mask on for the night , I will get a itch either under the mask or around the outside of the mask. Is there something that I can do to lesson the urge to scratch the itch. At times it is hard to ignore, and drives me nuts until I scratch it. Either cleaning the mask, cleaning my face better or trying something else ? I shower before going to bed and wash my face good where the mask touches my face, at times it doesn't seem to help. I am using unscented baby wipes to clean my mask, refresh the water in the humidifier daily. Only have had my CPAP unit for about two weeks now, and in the process of doing online weight watchers & lost about 13 pounds since starting(Sept 2012).

Last edited by JamesW6175 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sheriff Buford

Re: ITCHING UNDER MASK

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 am

In consideration to my wife, I have stopped itching in public. I wait until I get home to do the serious itching...

I saw a superior once doin' some serious backside itchin' once. She thought no one was looking. When she turned around and we made eye contact... well you should have seen her face! I'm mad at myself for not looking away! Anyway, when we make eye contact now... I know what she's thinking... and sadly... she right. Busted....

As far as cpap itchin'... my mask is set up to be able to remove the hose (turn off the machine first) when I get up in the middle of the night. I keep a pencil on my bed stand and I stick it in the hole and itch away. I have found that most itches will shortly go away... but I have to wait it out. You get used to the little itches.

Sheriff

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:03 am

anybody that was in the military learned how to stop scratching on the very first day of basic training. you simply ignore it and it will go away. its a little easier to learn when you're standing at attention, scared to death to move a muscle. you may need to imagine you're in a scenario where you don't dare move. the more you ignore it, the easier it is to ignore it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 am

JamesW6175 wrote:After I put my mask on for the night , I will get a itch either under the mask or around the outside of the mask. Is there something that I can do to lesson the urge to scratch the itch.
Try a mask liner. With just cotton touching your face it may help. The only cream you can use is non petroleum based like Lanisol, anything else destroys silicon.
It is easy to make them, just use an old cotton t-shirt, lay the mask on it and cut around it leaving an extra inch. Cut a small triangle for nose and mouth, try on and adjust. One of our members Pada-cheek makes and sells nice ones and also strap liners.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:20 am

Most of my itching was in the first few weeks; very little now
--except for last night.
I had to scratch twice: first time I reached under, the second,
I just rubbed my nose THROUGH my little cloth mask.

Journeyman

Post by Journeyman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I rub or massage my nose and cheeks to kind of stimulate my face and try and get that all out of the way. I don't know if it helps or not but it feels good when I'm done. I sometimes will still have an itch that gets the best of me. Figure out something that you could use to scratch it away. Think shoe horn, only mask horn. I popsicle stick? There you go, have a popsicle every night at bedtime and set the popsicle stick on your bedstand in case you need it. There is so much to learn here I can hardly believe it.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Journeyman wrote:I rub or massage my nose and cheeks to kind of stimulate my face and try and get that all out of the way. I don't know if it helps or not but it feels good when I'm done. I sometimes will still have an itch that gets the best of me. Figure out something that you could use to scratch it away. Think shoe horn, only mask horn. I popsicle stick? There you go, have a popsicle every night at bedtime and set the popsicle stick on your bedstand in case you need it. There is so much to learn here I can hardly believe it.
I like popsicles... never thought about havin' one every night. Good idea... though I have two teenage boys in the house. Suppose there would never be any left...

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I use the SW Elan - I can scratch my nose w/o taking the mask off!!

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Something I read here - and it works for me - just before I put my mask on I rub my face briskly with my hands, particularly where my mask sits. I use nasal pillows, but if I don't do the face rubbing, the pillows drive me crazy.

You might have to try a few things before you find what works for you.

Cheers,
xena

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:29 am

Put on some Curel Itch Defense lotion last night and it really seemed to help, did not have a lots ot itching going on or the urge to scratch. Does contain petrolatum products.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

Under NO circumstances, ever CONSIDER putting this stuff on your face!
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/anti-m ... 0041bafeb5

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Under NO circumstances, ever CONSIDER putting this stuff on your face!
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/anti-m ... 0041bafeb5
Froggie: sounds as though you speak from experience...

Sheriff

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:05 am

i basically learned to insert one finger gently under the gel and give a quick scratch and be done with it. I probably get 3 itchy moment before dropping off. As long as you dont puncture the gel, its designed to be flexible. Its just too time consuming to remove the whole thing after getting situated.