If buy your own cpap, does insurance cover hose, mask, etc?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tmiker

If buy your own cpap, does insurance cover hose, mask, etc?

Post by tmiker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I am on Tricare with supplemental to cover the difference.

Pugsy

Re: If buy your own cpap, does insurance cover hose, mask, etc?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:03 pm

It should cover the same things it would cover if you had a DME supply the machine.
Since the mask has a RX requirement the insurance company may need similar verification of the need though. I don't know what might be needed though. I don't know if a simple diagnosis code for OSA is sufficient or if they need a copy of the sleep study or whatever is used when someone gets a machine using their insurance.

I bought my machine privately but I do have a DME that I use my insurance and get masks and supplies from so that the insurance gets to pay their portion. I don't know what may have been needed the first time to establish the diagnosis.

If you used a DME and bought your machine and then 6 months later moved across the company and you found a new local DME for masks and supplies they would pay. So it really shouldn't matter where you get the machine. Heck, you could tell the DME that a family member gave the machine to you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 pm

I don't know why they wouldn't. But I think the smartest thing you can do is to call your insurance company. When you have insurance related questions, it's always best to speak with the insurance company directly.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 am

The best thing is to call your insurance and ask. Make sure your insurance will pay the supplier that you use. My insurance will only pay for approved suppliers. That means that they will not pay for any internet sales, including cpap.com.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 am

My insurance did pay for equipment, though not as often as apparently US companies do for masks and cushions, etc... but machines every 5 yrs (same as yours). The company was a U.S. one but with Canadian modifications.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:44 am

i use tricare prime. the in network dme you pick is going to have to get a copy of your sleep study for their files and will require a prescription from the doc for every item you want, every time you want it. most good dme's do this behind the scenes. you go in and ask for the mask and they ask the doc for a fax prescription. the first time, they will ask the doc for the sleep study.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 am

I can only speak to my own experience. I went to the Sleep Doc, got an Rx, and my DME (Apria) got me my first machine and supplies.

About a half-year in, I bought my own machine to get some extra features.

Apria continued to supply supplies, and my insurer continued to pay for them.

So, while you need to call your insurance company to be certain, I can say that my own DME/insurance plan didn't seem to care.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am

I was told that in network supplies are covered, regardless of where you get the machine;
even on Medicare; but additional documentation may be needed from your doctor.