Airfit p10 strap issues and solution

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
barrabee

Airfit p10 strap issues and solution

Post by barrabee » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Hello
I am a new member to this forum, but i've been lurking for some time, and have picked up quite a few tips - thanks :)
I have been using a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset CPAP Machine for going on 3 years+, and I've also been using the Airfit p10 nasal pillows.

See pictures below before continued reading

So, the ongoing issue i have with the p10 strap is that it stretches over time causing leakage, but the rest of the apparatus was still in perfect condition. The entire p10 kit is expensive (yes insurance covers near all of it), but i don't like getting rid of something perfectly useable, so i started just buying the straps on eBay - approx. 14 to 18 bucks. But they still stretch, and seemingly a waste of money.

I decided to buy some elastic stretch ribbon tube - suitable for headbands, necklaces, and bracelets; it's made from polyamid and elastam and feels like cloth. It's folded over and sewn into a very long tube with a seam; it's maybe 1/4 wide, in a beautiful turquoise color. You buy it 5 metres at a time for 7 bucks.
The P10's grey plastic, that slides into the cloth strap, actually fits into this elastic stretch ribbon tube - it even stretched to fit around the grey plastic as it gets wider towards the end - fits like a glove.
By accident i found that velcro actually adhered to this elastic tube material. So, on the inside edge of the grey plastic i adhered a 1 1/2 inch long strip of male sided velcro. Then when I slid the elastic stretch ribbon tube over the grey plastic and over the velcro (covering the entire grey plastic before the bend) - it held on perfectly (and yes, to my surprise).

Great, now i have a working model to test, here is the results:
- The strap is thinner and lighter and not noticeable sleeping on my side. So far, much more comfortable than i even expected.
- Before, I didn't separate the strap separation on the original strap, so it could be felt between my head and the pillow. I don't feel the new strap - not at all - zero.
- It looks way better, might i even say say nice looking - and not so medical-ish. You know, if wearing an Airfit p10 on your face can be considered nice looking.
- It ends up costing approx. 50 cents each (based on the length needed for a p10 strap replacement), so it can be just thrown away. And based on the description of polyamid and elastam, it might actually not stretch out over time. I'll let you know once i've worn it for a few months.

So, i'll update with further long term time trials, but i wanted to get some thoughts from the forum, and rather if someone else has a different strap solution (other than a new one compliments of insurance). i did see one other strap solution, but it required 3D printing.

Oh, one other item that makes the CPAP experience better. Rite-Aid sells a fleece material tube that slides over the humidity tube. I use it from the machine to just an inch past the first connection (where the P10 then connects). It's much nicer than having a plastic tube or rubber joint rubbing against my skin.

Anyways, thanks for all the great member postings of questions and information.
D :D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hLQWJA3n6PmRTPfz7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/op5LDYuRUQZjJmUT6
Last edited by barrabee on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Dog Slobber

Re: Airfit p10 strap issues and solution

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:09 pm

After the P10 strap stretches out, when you wash it it shrinks back.

Another solution is the N30 strap. It works with P10 but has an adjustible strap.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:08 pm

I do the same as Dog Slobber; I bought the N30 adjustable strap and replace the P10 strap with it.... if it happens to stretch out, I can just tighten it.

Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Washing the headgear in HOT water shrinks it enough to extend the use by at least double, or triple.

barrabee

Post by barrabee » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did wash and dry on high heat the original straps, and it did add a bit more time before needing replacing. I took a look at the N30 strap. I like that it's adjustable, but I wonder if it would be as comfortable as the one I made. I'll still update the post after a few months passes, and state rather the one I made stretches out too.

I posted pictures in the original post of this topic

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Than you for reminding me I am due to wash some headgear. 8)

Hornnumb2

Post by Hornnumb2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm

nanwilson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:08 pm
I do the same as Dog Slobber; I bought the N30 adjustable strap and replace the P10 strap with it.... if it happens to stretch out, I can just tighten it.

Cheers
Nan
Sorry to hijack thread, how does the n30 attach to the p10. Can somebody post a pic. Thanks

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Hornnumb2 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm
nanwilson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Cheers
Nan
Sorry to hijack thread, how does the n30 attach to the p10. Can somebody post a pic. Thanks
exactly the same way as the p10 strap does. it has the same holes that line up perfectly.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Hornnumb2

Post by Hornnumb2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Sorry when I searched N30 this came up and I was like how would that attached, but I see the correct one now.

A2D46BEF-D1EE-4AE5-ADD3-6F9EBA92A647.jpeg
A2D46BEF-D1EE-4AE5-ADD3-6F9EBA92A647.jpeg (136.29 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 am

Hornnumb2 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:11 pm
Sorry when I searched N30 this came up and I was like how would that attached, but I see the correct one now.
That's not the N30, that's the N30i. ResMed may make good equipment but their marketing team can't name their products for sh!t.

This is an N30 strap on a P10. Note the spot strap and adjustable clasp.

Paul_H

Post by Paul_H » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:02 pm

That's brilliant! Thank you. I've been using a P10 for about 6 years now. Yes, the strap shrinks a bit if you wash it in hot water, but despite doing that regularly, I find that after about a year my strap is 1" - 1½" longer than a new strap. That would depend on the size of your head, I suppose. I found that wringing out the strap, letting it semi-dry, then toasting it with a hair dryer shrinks it more, but nonetheless it does get longer over a period. I've been buying a new strap about every 12 - 16 months. They're not that expensive, and it doesn't break the bank, but it would be nice to have something that lasts longer and can then be replaced for a few pennies. I have no insurance, and I'm going to try this.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:49 am

barrabee wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Great, now i have a working model to test, here is the results:
- The strap is thinner and lighter and not noticeable sleeping on my side. So far, much more comfortable than i even expected.
- Before, I didn't separate the strap separation on the original strap, so it could be felt between my head and the pillow. I don't feel the new strap - not at all - zero.
- It looks way better, might i even say say nice looking - and not so medical-ish. You know, if wearing an Airfit p10 on your face can be considered nice looking.
- It ends up costing approx. 50 cents each (based on the length needed for a p10 strap replacement), so it can be just thrown away. And based on the description of polyamid and elastam, it might actually not stretch out over time. I'll let you know once i've worn it for a few months.
Yes,the headgear is usually the first part of any mask that has to be replaced.

I like your solution,very nice!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:09 am

Great CPAP hack, barrabee! Thanks for sharing it.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/