FAQ thread..work in progress...need some input

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
prodigyplace

Re: FAQ thread..work in progress...need some input

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:01 pm

What type of water do I need to use in my humidifier? (wet drinkable water)
Does the humidifier work without heat? (passover mode)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

turbo

Post by turbo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Q. Can I cheat compliance for my commercial DL?

Here guys, I got this.

A. No, you idiot! That's a safety issue!

Now, that's as short and sweet as it can be :D
“I know what I wrote, I was there when I wrote it.” JOHN BELUSHI

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:11 pm

turbo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm
Q. Can I cheat compliance for my commercial DL?

Here guys, I got this.

A. No, you idiot! That's a safety issue!

Now, that's as short and sweet as it can be :D
Now we've reached maximum turbo thrust on the FAQ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Use Google to search the site using the format:

keyword site:cpaptalk.com

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Use Google to search the site using the format:

keyword site:cpaptalk.com
VERY good! i always forget this gem.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:11 am

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:01 am

I have a link to "cpaptalk faqs" in the wiki in my newbie please read thread ....it's at the very top so first thing they will see.
It's still a work in progress...we are adding more as we have time and energy to compose.

wiki/index.php/Cpaptalk_FAQs

The faqs are really so we don't have to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. It would be nice if newbies would actually read this stuff first but in my experience they won't.

You all can use the FAQs as a response or not use it. It's your fingers that are doing the typing and your time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am

Some of the things I've talked about a few times.. or seen.

1. The cleaning issue, how often, how much, why, how?

A lot of the responses I've seen hinge on the experience of the responder rather then being more generic and reminding the OP that they need to look around and take some time to see what develops with their own equipment. Sometimes these responses will then turn into an argument between older members who have lived their whole lives in one of these environments that controls how often they clean. Which then confuses the OP.

I've given my example of "The environment the XPAP device is in" plays a huge factor in how often someone "should" clean the equipment. Besides the "are you a germaphobe or not" litmus test.
In one house I lived in, I had to clean my hose and mask weekly or risk black gunk growing in the hose and seal of my mask cushions. However at my current home, I can go months, years even... with out having to do more then clean my mask of facial oils and just general hygiene cleaning. I don't like to clean my stuff, but I try not to be gross about it. If it looks or smells disgusting then clean it! If you know it's going to get gross or disgusting then clean it before it gets that way.

Keep it Simple... Using cheaper non sented baby wipes, vs the fancy "CPAP Wipes" What soaps or chemicals to use to clean or sanitize equipment if needed. "dish soap, vinegar, dawn, alcohol, mouthwash, etc..."

The whole "No-Clean" rabbit hole of doom!!!!

If your a germaphobe, we all know, it's all beside the point as your going to have to worry more about wearing out your equipment from the constant scrubbing and attention rather then if anything has time to get dirty.

2. Using hose covers with heated hoses? Is it ok?

I personally think everyone should have a hose cover on their machine (that's just me). Besides the ability to get crafty and make your hose something soft and cosy they help even with heated hoses. My last DME visit the guy looked at my hand made hose cover and was like, you won't have to use that thing anymore now that you have a heated hose... Ummm, nope still keeping my cover thank you very much. I'd rather snuggle up to a plush covered piece of plastic rather then non covered piece of plastic.
It cuts down on vibrational noises that can get transmitted through the hose, it eliminates the noise you can get if your hose brushes up against something hard like a headboard. You can color coordinate (if your so inclined) and make your PAP that little bit less "Medical" Like your taking ownership of it and saying this is mine and I have at least some control over it and how it looks in my life.

3. Issues with rain out?
seams like when ever this question comes up, someone's always having to break down and teach a class on earth science... Hot, cold, water condensation, etc... Heated hoses, non heated hoses, hose covers, heated humidifiers, passover humidifiers, "Where is this rainout coming from when I'm not using water at all!?" Mask rainout from moisture in our breath... Lots of repeat questions that are again "Environmentally specific" requiring some active effort on the OP's part in helping determine the source of the problem, and having the people helping offering advice that may not apply when they don't know the answers to basic questions.

List of info we'd need to help with a rain out question? Room Temp, Location, Is it humid or dry overall?, Settings on the machine, are you using a cover on the hose? are you using a heated hose? what settings on the heated hose? etc.

4. Should I pack my CPAP in my checked luggage?
"Ummmm NOOOOO!!!! Have you seen what they do with our suit cases getting them on and off the plane?" "PAP Machines are not made to bounce"

5. Is it ok to travel with my CPAP on the plane?
Break down of all the traveling questions we get, that isn't always black and white because of international travel. Even though CPAP is medical and doesn't count, that might get you into a bind when you go over seas as not all locations respect the same rules. Though generally there is a lot of consensus about how to answer most of the "Travel questions" Maybe "Traveling with PAP" could get it's own little class, with sub classes like a, b, c, under that for more specific questions and advice.

6. But my DME said...
Lots of DME's will lie to you... "sometimes doctors too" You need to do your homework. Just because the words came out of the mouth of someone in the medical field or who has a degree doesn't mean it's right or gospel. You need to be your own advocate and self educate. When ever money is being made, your going to get a lot of verbal fertilizer and you'll need to know how to find out the facts. When your doctor tells you, you have to buy your machine and supplies from the DME he happens to own or work with... There is a problem.

7. Making your own accessories or purchasing them from quality makers we all know and trust. Lots of questions about hose covers, head gear covers, something rubbing and hurting, etc.

Making sure environmentally specific problems don't create arguments when conflicting advice "that works perfectly fine, if environment is right" is given by people in different situations.

I'm sure there other things that get asked all the time, but I'm not sure right now.

Hope this helps,

Gryphon
Last edited by Gryphon on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:39 am

Is it OK to place a lit blunt beside the air intake?

zan

Post by zan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:05 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:39 am
:shock: I like your style, Granny.
they/them

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Like is it ok to put essential oils in my water chamber to make my CPAP air smell nice?

"I wouldn't do that" if you must, try a cotton ball with a drop or two, placed out side the machine near the air intake.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:21 pm
Like is it ok to put essential oils in my water chamber to make my CPAP air smell nice?

"I wouldn't do that" if you must, try a cotton ball with a drop or two, placed out side the machine near the air intake.
The idea for the faq was for frequently asked questions that resulted in one of pugsy's stereotypical loooooong answers, in order to save her typing so much.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 pm

I guess asking about turning your CPAP into a modified hooka might involve a longer answer then weather you should put oils in your cpap water. LOL

I'm just being silly with the follow up. :D

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 pm
I guess asking about turning your CPAP into a modified hooka might involve a longer answer then weather you should put oils in your cpap water. LOL

I'm just being silly with the follow up. :D
Also, I think that's only the second time I've heard something like that ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:28 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:39 am
Dang it, granny!
You made me pee.