Troubleshooting with an H5i humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snardo

Troubleshooting with an H5i humidifier

Post by snardo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some quick feedback on this. I operate a ResMed S9 Elite with H5i humidifier unit attached. Usually when I shut the machine off in the morning it goes through a fairly extensive cool-down process - continuing to blow air through the humidifier at a low pressure to help the heating plate cool off. Well this morning I noted briefly that the cooldown process did not start, but thought little of it at the time. Just now as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed massive amounts of condensate on the window on the lid of the humidifier and when I opened it up, the water and tube were hot to the touch! Has anyone seen or heard of this before? Any thoughts on whether it's safe to operate any more or should I be looking for a replacement? Apparently the SD card data has also been corrupted. After unplugging the whole unit, I then re-started just the blower. When I plugged it back in, I got an error saying that the SD card could not be read and that I needed to remove it and call tech support or something like that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

archangle

Re: Troubleshooting with an H5i humidifier

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 pm

If you tap the off button, it goes into a sort of "standby" mode and cools down.

If you hold the button down, it turns completely off and doesn't go through a cooldown cycle. It also disables autostart.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

snardo

Post by snardo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that. For one thing, the SD card suddenly now has an invalid card error and for another, there was an interlude of about 16 hours between when I had shut it off and when I discovered the HOT water in the humidifier - we're talking almost too hot to touch. The humidifier should not still be running 16 hours after I've shut the machine off.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:28 am

Have the same type of equipment, so far no problems yet. I hold the on/off switch until I see everything power off. I would try to either get a new SD card or try taking it out and then reinserting it.

snardo

Post by snardo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am

Replaced the SD card and all seems to be working normally. What I would like to figure out is whether the SD card went bad and caused the humidifier to malfunction or whether the excessive heat from the humidifier going crazy caused the SD card to go bad. Given the resolution I seem to have achieved, I'd guess the former, but it still seems kinda weird.