More fatigue after using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BillStL

More fatigue after using CPAP

Post by BillStL » Sun May 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Has anyone experienced more fatigue after using a CPAP machine? The first night I used a machine in the sleep lab I woke up and still felt tired. I got up and got going and I realized I was in a lot better mood. After I got my Respironics machine and started using it for about a week I felt even more tired than I did before I started using the machine. I don't have any trouble with the mask keeping me awake (as far as I can tell). The machine doesn't make any noise so it isn't keeping me awake. I seam to have congestion even when using the machine. Anyone had a similar experience? I haven't been back to the doctors office yet, I am not sure what to expect.

Pugsy

Re: More fatigue after using CPAP

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Please add your equipment to your Profile.

What machine are you using? What mask are you using? What pressure are you using? Do you use a humidifier, if so at what setting?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 am

Yes, I experienced more fatigue, mainly due to waking up to make mask adjustments. Congestion was an issue for me, for awhile. Nasal rinsing a few times a day and once prior to sleep, helps tremendously.

gpap

Post by gpap » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I can't say that I feel any better after 3 months. Actually, I wake up multiple times a night now. But, my oxygen levels are much better. The cpap wasn't to make me feel better per se, but to help my heart out.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon May 30, 2011 3:11 pm

BillStL wrote:Has anyone experienced more fatigue after using a CPAP machine? The first night I used a machine in the sleep lab I woke up and still felt tired. I got up and got going and I realized I was in a lot better mood. After I got my Respironics machine and started using it for about a week I felt even more tired than I did before I started using the machine. I don't have any trouble with the mask keeping me awake (as far as I can tell). The machine doesn't make any noise so it isn't keeping me awake. I seam to have congestion even when using the machine. Anyone had a similar experience? I haven't been back to the doctors office yet, I am not sure what to expect.
Too high of a humidifier setting can make congestion worse.

Do you have a prescribed pressure?

A range of pressures can wreck your sleep.

Do you have the software to download your data and generate reports? If not, get it. Using an APAP in a range of pressures without the software is an exercise in frustration.

Den

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 pm

It takes some people longer than others to start feeling better, hang in there. When you see your doc be sure to mention your continuing fatigue, sometimes (not always) an adjustment is in order.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 pm

There are many factors that may be at work here:

1st, it's quite normal to have your sleep interrupted when you are first getting used to the machine, and you may feel more tired or sleepy at first. You have to give yourself a reasonable amount of time to get used to the treatment and to start to feel the benefit.

2nd. It takes some time to get the mask and machine settings dialed down exactly for you. If your machine is data capable you can see if your leaks are under control and if your machine is giving you effective therapy (as indicated by the AHI reading). If you don't have a data capable machine that's a big problem you should consider doing something about immediately, or you may never be able to tweak your therapy for optimal care.

3rd. Things like nasal congestion can interfere with your therapy, especially if you need to open your mouth to breath in compensation--all the air pressure that's supposed to be keeping your airway open may be going out of your mouth instead. You may need to do good nasal hygiene AND adjust the humidifier (up OR down) until your nose clears up. This can be an issue EVEN in a FF mask.

4th. You may hear about the "sleep debt" that has to be paid off once your sleep quality improves. I'm not sure I buy into that theory, but what I did find was that feeling better made me want to do more things, and that, in turn, fatigued my deconditioned body. I was more TIRED but less SLEEPY--if you can appreciate the difference. I also started craving sleep more, since it feels so good on a well-tuned CPAP.

Bottom line is to keep at it, and if possible, take a look at your data. Let your doctor know if your additional fatigue persists (and you MAY get help from him/her if you're darn lucky).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

harry33

Post by harry33 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm

with a full face mask its possible to
open wide
in sleep, so stopping all CPAP benefits, the mask wont be working properly when you wake

a tight chinstrap keeps jaw closed
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon May 30, 2011 4:32 pm

harry33 wrote:with a full face mask its possible to
open wide
in sleep, so stopping all CPAP benefits, the mask wont be working properly when you wake

a tight chinstrap keeps jaw closed
What do you mean? The whole purpose of a full face mask is so that you get CPAP benefits even if you can't keep your mouth closed while sleeping. It's still a good idea to keep your mouth closed if you can, but you'll still get CPAP benefits with an open mouth if you have a full face mask.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BrianinTN

Post by BrianinTN » Mon May 30, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't have much constructive to tell you other than that you are not alone. There are a lot of reasons why you might be exhausted, but the first places to look will be your data. I've been on three different types of machines over the last year (starting with a CPAP and working up from there), and I have consistently felt much more tired while on them than when sleeping without them. Hopefully once you get access to your data, you and your doctor will be able to spot a simple problem and you will start to feel better!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm

What do you mean? The whole purpose of a full face mask is so that you get CPAP benefits even if you can't keep your mouth closed while sleeping. It's still a good idea to keep your mouth closed if you can, but you'll still get CPAP benefits with an open mouth if you have a full face mask.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes when your jaw relaxes in a FF mask, it breaks the seal and you don't get the CPAP benefits because of the leak that creates. That's why some FF masks work for a person when others do not. The only way to tell is to carefully monitor you leak details (don't rely on the AVERAGE leak ratings on the Respironics machine screens, they don't give enough info.).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 am

Hi, Bill. I agree with the others that it's too early to tell. Personally, I have not seen a great deal of improvement in 3+ years of cpap. I can tell you this though, you have to become proactive in your own treatment - the sooner the better. Start by reading all the articles at the bottom of Janknitz's post. There is a wealth of information there.

I don't know anything about your machine, but you must be able to get your data daily (AHI, AI, HI, leak, pressure, hours used, etc). You don't need to be able to download it as long as you can read it and keep a log. Add to the log other variables, how did feel when when you got up ( I use a simple code: 1, 2, 3), other variables like when did you go to bed, how many times did you get up, medicine you took or didn't, caffiene after noon or anything else you feel is important. Consider making a video of yourself sleeping so you can see if you're back sleeping, thrashing, or anything that might disturb your sleep. You need to use time lapse - many of the built-in and add-on webcams come with a time lapse program. PM me if you need to download a program from the web or google Flix by Nimisis.

The main thing is to get your apnea under control, as demonstrated by the numbers and how you feel. You may have to adjust your pressure for optimal results, incrementally, with plenty of time to "settle in" after each change. Don't be surprised if your best pressure setting is quite a bit different then the one determined in your sleep study. After you feel you have obtained your best pressure settings (this could take 6 months or longer), If you are still bothered by fatigue, start looking for secondary causes. If you have your apnea under control, there are meds like Provigil or Cymbalta which can help.

Don't be afraid to look for another Doctor if you feel yours is not helping. I would guess yours is a pulmonologist, most sleep doctors are. The trouble with pulmonologist is that once your apnea is controlled, and you're not feeling better, they have no place to go. Consider getting a sleep qualified neurologist on your team as well, and find a DME that doesn't think it's a crime for you to take an active part in your treatment (it's not).

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, it's not meant to be. I just can not stress enough how important it is to get involved and educated early in your treatment. Your sleep doctor is likely to say, "try this and come back in 6 months". If the "this" didn't help, then it's 6 months wasted if your not proactive.

I'll end this on a positive note. Even though I don't feel a great deal better then when I started, my apnea is controlled and my blood pressure has dropped about 20 points. Now, that's a good thing!

Good luck, Jay

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:24 pm

I to have been using my cpap for about 3 weeks now and i find myself more tired and taking a nap during the day and sometimes sleeping 10 hours a night...

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 pm

JoshT wrote:I to have been using my cpap for about 3 weeks now and i find myself more tired and taking a nap during the day and sometimes sleeping 10 hours a night...
There can be many reasons.........not the least of which is that your body probably has a HUGE sleep debt to pay off. Sometimes it's that your body is really enjoying this new way to sleep and the additional oxygen you're getting.
It can last for months before you settle into a routine.

Den

punaman

Post by punaman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 pm

I have been using my cpap for almost 3 months now. I still wake up groggy, which I never did in my entire life. And I frequently need a nap in the afternoon(sometimes before noon). And instead of a power nap I sleep for almost an hour. I have always loved waking in the mornings. Now I dread my mornings and drag a lot in the day. I have chip in my cpap to get tested. And will check with doc too.