i dont know why i rip my mask off at night.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepy_storyteller

i dont know why i rip my mask off at night.

Post by sleepy_storyteller » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Its frustrating.
I have restless leg syndrome AND significant sleep apnea.
I have tried for the last 10 days to keep my mask on all night.
But I seem to pull it off without ever remembering doing it.
Any one have any clues, experience or suggestions.
Thanks
sleepless storyteller

LSAT

Re: i dont know why i rip my mask off at night.

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:20 pm

OK storyteller...tell us a story about what equipment you are using...particularly the mask. Also what pressure is your CPAP set at.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:28 pm

this is very common with new users, simple answer is to tape mask to face so the pain will remind you to leave it on

some are very insulted by this suggestion I guess its too obvious
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

sleepy_storyteller

Post by sleepy_storyteller » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reply-posts.
i have added my equipment into the profile area.
My husband and i are mystified. We are experimenting with either the Quartro full face; but i have found in the last few days that a Phillips mask that goes over the nase is more comfortable.
It seems that about two and a half hours in -- off comes the mask-- either one--and i just don't remember. i do know that when my husband awakens and asks me to put it back on i find that the air is just so dry even tho the humidifier is at top heat and humidity setting and so i seldom keep the mask on more than an hour second time in the night.
my husband is he stats guy so will ask him to post his thoughts too.
This is psychologically hard for me...anything written on that and how to get over the hump?

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Go into your user control panel and select your equipment as text.

Its common to keep taking off your mask at night. I did it for weeks and still do it occasionally. It takes time for your sleeping self to decide the mask is good. Just put it back on and after a while you will start leaving it on. If you can remember any particular reason you took off the mask, then that is a starting point for addressing the problem. If the mask is too tight then it makes you feel more suffocated. Make sure you have your mask as loose as it can possible be adjusted and still seal. Then slip it over your head rather than detaching straps. Once you have it good, you hardly ever have to adjust it again. It can make you feel like you are not getting enough air. If you manage to get to sleep, you may have a dream or for some reason a demand for more air and off comes the mask.

OK, I just saw you added your machine. I must have opened this thread before your new post came up. You don't have EPAP. It may be the mask pressing on your sinuses or it may just be it will take time to get used to it. I have a nasal mask too. If you can get used to it and not mouth breath, its your best bet. If you have the sort with the bridge up to your forehead you can loosen the bottom slightly and let your forehead take some of the pressure off your mouth and sinuses. Then it feels almost like breathing without a mask.

I used to take my mask off a couple hours into sleep, I had a few times that I remembered suddenly feeling I could not breath. So, off came the mask. For me it was partly psychological and partly sinuses getting stuffy. I found that I could keep the mask on all night if I turned the humidity to passive with no heat. Apparently, humidity makes me get stuffed up. I wake up all dried out many times but I keep the mask on. Hopefully this won't happen in your case but it took me weeks to keep the mask on all night.

Last edited by Mr Bill on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPAP min=6, EPAP max=15, PS min=3, PS max=12, Max Pressure=30, Backup Rate=8 bpm, Flex=0, Rise Time=1,
90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm

As mentioned it is usu. difficulty breathing that causes one to rip the mask off.

Do this is in steps.
Start wearing the mask on your face without the hose to get used to the feeling and breathing.
Takes naps while wearing the mask with machine ON.

It took me about a month to be able to sleep thru the nite with mask on. Once you get used ti the mask, you will NOT sleep without it. I know it dazzles the mind but it is true.

Take baby steps.

Good Luck

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!