you dont really need that humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
harry33

you dont really need that humidifier

Post by harry33 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 pm

I started using my CPAP back in 1995 and have never used or felt the need for a humidifier. after all the nostrils do humidify the air and I dont mouth breathe, having a nose only mask

considering all the extra work a humidifier requires, Do you really need it, perhaps its just a fashion accessory?

BTW I live in a low humidity area, clothes dry quickly hung up in house

any comments
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

Goofproof

Re: you dont really need that humidifier

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I keep one as a option, but I only use water in it when needed. In two years I haven't used water, I keep it inline as a muffler for noise. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 am

harry33 wrote:I started using my CPAP back in 1995 and have never used or felt the need for a humidifier. after all the nostrils do humidify the air and I dont mouth breathe, having a nose only mask

considering all the extra work a humidifier requires, Do you really need it, perhaps its just a fashion accessory?

any comments
I bet you don't live in a heated house in a cold climate.
Not a fashion accessory. Any ENT will tell you lack of humidity causes inflammation which allows bacteria to grow. Besides nose bleeds are no fun and blood is hard to get out of fabric.

And the work? You have to be kidding me. OH the pain of having to fill it every night! OMG the work of weekly swishing it with vinegar! The things I could have done with my life in those 5 minutes!!!!!!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:37 am

Once I turned my humidifier down to 1.
Twice I forgot to add water and ended up using the machine without water.

All 3 times I ended up being miserable for 3 or 4 days until my nasal mucosa forgave me.
Horrible symptoms. Congestion, runny nose, sneezing, pain and I was not ill with a cold or whatever.
Directly related to lack of moisture. My nasal mucosa need it and I am not about to deny them again.

I know that some people do quite well with minimal or no added moisture but not me. I happily use a setting of 4 or 5 and I won't be changing because I was totally miserable when my nasal mucosa got messed up from the lack of moisture.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 am

Good response. Don't know why some folks think that because they don't need something, noone does. The humidifier is a life saver for me.
BlackSpinner wrote:
harry33 wrote:I started using my CPAP back in 1995 and have never used or felt the need for a humidifier. after all the nostrils do humidify the air and I dont mouth breathe, having a nose only mask

any comments
I bet you don't live in a heated house in a cold climate.
Not a fashion accessory. Any ENT will tell you lack of humidity causes inflammation which allows bacteria to grow. Besides nose bleeds are no fun and blood is hard to get out of fabric.

And the work? You have to be kidding me. OH the pain of having to fill it every night! OMG the work of weekly swishing it with vinegar! The things I could have done with my life in those 5 minutes!!!!!!

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 am

I'm not trying to be ugly, really but what you are saying here is that if you don't need it, no one does. I need the humidifier. Both sleep docs have insisted on the humidifier, just wish they'd explained the humidifier more clearly. The two biggest things that prevent people from being compliant with cpap usage is how you adjust to the mask and whether a particular mask is right for you and nasal congestion. I get stuffy every night. Have a lot of allergies and bad sinuses. I didn't understand the benefits of humidifier and so left mine set at 2. No real benefit. Then I learned that the key for people with nasal congestion is humidity. I raised mine and now have no problems with nasal congestion. Wish I'd understood that earlier. I really think you are just trying to start a controversy myself.

any comments

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 am

I started using my CPAP back in 1995 and have never used or felt the need for a humidifier. after all the nostrils do humidify the air and I dont mouth breathe, having a nose only mask

any comments
Every body is different. Perhaps by living in a low humidity enviroment you may have acclimated yourself to not needing a humidifier.

For me its "Give me my humidifier or give me death!" Right now it is set on 4

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am

Individuals vary; climates vary; needs and preferences vary. I doubt that there's a single "one size fits all" aspect anywhere in CPAP-land.

I sing semi-professionally so I'm really particular about how I treat my sinuses and lungs, and I find that the extra moisture helps. Pre-CPAP I would spend every winter with nonstop colds, bronchitis and sinus infections. Since starting CPAP I've had exactly one cold (caught that on a long-haul airplane flight). So for me, it's been a real blessing to have the humidification.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:22 am

any comments
Don't remember where I saw it, but if I do, I will post a link here.
Edited to add this link:
https://knowhow.webex.com/ec0605ld/even ... rmat=short

You do have to enter some information - but it does not have to be valid - Just anything will work.

It is acceptable knowledge in the CPAP medical community that one does benefit from using a humidifier when using CPAP - simply becasue the nostrils just cannot keep up with humidifying the air when using CPAP.

Even if you do not think you need a humidifier, using one would be better.

Last edited by StevenXXXX on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 am

Do you really need it, perhaps its just a fashion accessory?
If a humidifier was a fashion accessory, insurance would not pay for it. It has been deemed a medically necessary device.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 am

If you're using a nasal mask, and aren't mouthleaking, why would you need humidity more than a non-apneac? There shouldn't be more air flow. CPAP air won't be any dryer than room air. The airflow shouldn't be any faster once pressure equalizes between your lungs and the mask.

Enough of us mouth breathe at least a little, so it makes sense to always have the humidifier available any way. I'm not advocating not getting the humidifier.

Maybe apnea irritates our throats. Maybe a restricted airway increases velocity in the airway and drys us out more than non-apneacs.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm

archangle wrote:If you're using a nasal mask, and aren't mouthleaking, why would you need humidity more than a non-apneac?
This webinar says you do. https://knowhow.webex.com/ec0605ld/even ... rmat=short

You do have to enter some information to get to the webinar - but it does not have to be yours - Anything will work.

The webinar is fairly long, but if you skip through it, you will find the part that compares non-humidified air using CPAP as not being sufficient.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I love my humidifier and sometimes think I need it more than the cpap.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 pm

I need my humidifier for my comfort. My nose and mouth get dried out without one. Glad you don't have to bother with one.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

My nose thanks me every morning for giving it extra moisture.