Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jazzer4

Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap

Post by jazzer4 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 am

This is MY one week review of the Ultimate Chin Strap in a SMALL invented by Russ MacMillian.

I order this chin strap when I saw raving reviews on this forum about a month ago.
I received it in the mail and it was huge on me so I called Russ and told him no way was this going to work for me.

Russ was very upset that I would never get to see the benefits of his chin strap, so he said he would make one for me in a small. And he did. Not only did he make it, but he shipped it priority mail.

That was a week ago and I have to say it's wonderful and more!

My review;

1. The small is small. If you weigh more than 130 lbs. or have a bigish head it may not fit. It was too small for my husband who is 5'9" and weights 150. He would have needed the standard size.

2. The fabric is wonderful. Very soft and it's well made. Just pop it in the washer with like fabrics.

3. Most importantly, IT WORKS! It really does hold your chin forward and your mouth closed. (I'm used to wearing the Ruby Red chine strap so the fact that I had something wrapped around my head didn't bother me)

4. The first night the top strap slipped forward and rendered it useless. But two small pieces of Velcro put between the mask straps and the chin strap about temple high on each side stopped that altogether. If I didn't have headgear to attach the two together I would have needed a big barrette or two to hold the top strap in place. Russ said you can put it behind your ears, but the small is too small for that on me. I'm wearing it over my ears.

5. It was not a one night wonder for me although I understand it is for some. It was on my fourth night that I realized I would never sleep without it. It's just part of the whole contraption now.

6. No mouth leaks. I checked my numbers and happy day! It worked once I got the top strap to be stable on my head.

To sum up my review I'll tell you Russ offers a full guarantee. He really does believe in his product and rightly so. I talked to him everyday for the past week giving him reports on the size SMALL and my results with it each night.

The cost to some seems high but really....a shirt at Macy's to go with my blue shorts was $39.00 and I may only wear that once a month. I'll wear this every night.
I do have to thank Russ MacMillian for his product and his patients. If you watch the homemade video you'll see there's no glitz here. Just a man who invented something out of his own necessity and is happy to share it with others.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

So Well

Re: Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap

Post by So Well » Tue May 24, 2011 8:38 am

jazzer, Thanks for the report.

I believe Rested Gal ordered one of these. Did she ever report on it?
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue May 24, 2011 9:32 am

So Well wrote:jazzer, Thanks for the report.

I believe Rested Gal ordered one of these. Did she ever report on it?

Yes, she reported that it did not work for her. And I reported that thing was huge and I had contacted the maker to suggest that he make a smaller size. That was three weeks ago and I still have not heard from him.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

He now has a small size.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 am

I bought one of the "Ultimate chin straps". I notice the inventor uses nasal pillows with his cpap. I use a nasal face mask and I have found that because the strap comes right up to the bottom of the nose it affects the fit of the mask.

Perhaps it will be ok with the nasal pillows. I have some so i will try later on.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 am

jazzer4, thanks for posting your review. I'm glad you stuck with it for a couple of days and worked out the initial problems.

From your description of your husband's size, it's probably too small for me. The large size others have described sound too big!
OutaSync's report balances negatively with your positive communication experience with the inventor.

Now I'm torn.

"All that is very well," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."
Voltaire, Candide, last line.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

After writing to them for the second time, yesterday, I did receive a response. They claimed to have both emailed me and called me followng my first email to them, neither of which occurred. And, yes, I'm absolutely sure.

They did say that they were sending me a smaller size to try and I'm looking forward to that. Size was one issue. The other issues I had were the feeling of choking when something is wrapped around my neck, and the slippery top strap. There is no anchor, as in my current chinstrap.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:55 pm

OutaSync wrote:After writing to them for the second time, yesterday, I did receive a response. They claimed to have both emailed me and called me followng my first email to them, neither of which occurred. And, yes, I'm absolutely sure.

They did say that they were sending me a smaller size to try and I'm looking forward to that. Size was one issue. The other issues I had were the feeling of choking when something is wrapped around my neck, and the slippery top strap. There is no anchor, as in my current chinstrap.
OutaSync I'm happy to hear your getting your issues resolved with Russ the inventer.

The first 2 nights I had the back strap too tight and didn't like the feeling around my neck. I mentioned this to Russ and he told me snug, not tight.

Your right about it slipping, as it did that on me the 3rd night. I fixed it one night by putting my headgear ontop of it to hold it, but now I use a big hair clip on the top. That seems to keep it in place for me.

Like anything else you may need to try it for a few nights to get used to it. It's very comfortable to me.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Bodhi wrote:jazzer4, thanks for posting your review. I'm glad you stuck with it for a couple of days and worked out the initial problems.

From your description of your husband's size, it's probably too small for me. The large size others have described sound too big!
OutaSync's report balances negatively with your positive communication experience with the inventor.

Now I'm torn.
Bodhi the sizing on this chin strap is a bit tricky. The small is perfect for me....the standard was huge.
I sent the inventer pictures of myself in the standard size. He phoned me to say ....yes, this is too big for you.
He did tell me I could cut off the extra but I thought if I wanted to return it that would be a problem. He's really is a nice man, not a business man, just a nice guy. He said he would still take it back if I cut it, but I just couldn't do that.

He said he would make small ones according to my pictures. The one he sent is perfect.

This is a small operation and I think he has been overwhelmed with orders. If ANYONE is having trouble getting a refund please PM me as I have all his contact information.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 29, 2011 4:18 pm

It looks kinda comfy; but
I'm probably an extra small.
And I can't afford the bucks right now.
I sew--maybe I can . . . (looking through fabric stash)

tst29m

Post by tst29m » Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 pm

I, too, use the Ultimate Chin Strap. I had trouble with the top strap slipping down over my head. I had read somewhere on this forum that someone had sewn velcro (rough side down) on a strap to keep it in place, so my wife did the same with my strap. It worked! I was afraid that the velcro would feel funny on my head, but I don't notice it at all. I was holding the strap in place using bobby pins, but the strip of velcro makes it much easier and more comfortable. Thanks to whomever came up with this velcro idea!

jbcool

Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap by Russ MacMilla

Post by jbcool » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 am

Over two weeks ago, I came across Russ MacMillan's Ultimate Chin Strap advertisement; and immediately after watching his video and reading the great reviews, I called him personally. I had just recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and was having a horrific time dealing with "dry mouth"! I had tried other chin straps that didn't work and had also been through the "taping" ordeal. First of all, I want to say what a pleasant experience I had talking with Russ...he and his staff were so accommodating and answered all my questions...and believe me, I had a lot of concerns. Being of small stature, I was also concerned with the strap being too large. Bottom line, I ordered the double mask package...also the pillow which is also great!...and after the first night I can truthfully say, no more "dry mouth". The strap fit perfectly...the fabric is sooo soft...and I slept like a baby. Just wanted to say I am so glad I ordered the Ultimate Chin Strap invented by Russ MacMillan, and I can highly recommend it!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 am

I'm still waiting for the small version that they said they sent to me.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am

I've had it with taping and am intrigued by the Ultimate Chin Strap to stop my mouth leaks. I've been thinking something of this design should work.

Any new feedback? DOES it work?

howkim

Post by howkim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 am

Hi, Skylark,

I've used it for a while now and I LOVE it!! I put my headgear over it, so it doesn't slip, which seems to be a problem for some. I use a nasal mask and don't have any fitting problems, as someone mentioned above. I was worried about it being hot to sleep in, but haven't had any problems with that.

I am not a mushroom.