S9 Humidifier Faulure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tchavalas

S9 Humidifier Faulure?

Post by tchavalas » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Greetings,

I have been using the new ResMed S9 machine since october 2010. I have had a few issues with the Humidifier. The first problem I had was with the heated ClimateLine tube. Sometimes during the night the unit would just shut down and lock up with an error that said: "Hose failure. Replace hose." When this error message came up the S9 flow generator unit would completely lock up. None of the buttons would function. (Not even the power button.) The only way to get the machine to respond was to unplug the power supply and reset the unit. I attribute this issue to a loose electrical contact in the hose. But in any case it should not make the computer in the S9 flow generator lock up and stop responding to user input. This is a firmware BUG.

The second problem I am having with the Humidifier is that when sunlight hits the humidifier during the daytime (When the unit is shut off.) I get a message that says: "Humidifier failure! Please replace the humidifier unit." Simply pressing the control knob clears this error message. The unit does not lock up. And the humidifier unit works perfectly fine at night. I believe that the sunlight is raising the temperature of the humidifier slightly making the computer think that the heater is still on. But why is is monitoring the humidifier tank while the unit is shut off? This seems like another possible firmware BUG.

Has anyone else seen these same kinds of errors from the S9?

harry33

Re: S9 Humidifier Faulure?

Post by harry33 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 pm

what I would do is turn it on and drop it about 6 inches to the floor, the shock can unjam electronic things

dont leave it to get hot in the sun
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Harry, that was not nice.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Thu May 12, 2011 11:14 pm

I think harry was just making a joke.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 am

I haven't had any similar error messages on my machine. Very odd.

To prevent the daytime "humidifier error" message, you may want to turn the machine off completely if you're not already doing that. To do that, wait for at least 10 minutes after ending the mask session. (This gives the machine the time it needs to write all session data to your card.) Then press and hold down the start/stop button for about 5 seconds. The green power light will go off. Another idea is to plug the machine into a power strip so you can switch it off that way. I hope that helps.

(As I was typing the part of my message regarding power, my own house electricity went out and off went the computer! That was both frustrating and funny at the same time, given what I was typing about. )

SnoozyQ

Post by SnoozyQ » Fri May 13, 2011 7:28 am

I've had the humidifier error. It shut the machine off in the middle of the night bc of it. I had to unplug it from the surge protector and plug back in to get the machine to work again. Never had it respond to sunlight...

However, if you think it may be getting warm from the sunlight, try a piece of painter's tape over the little window. I put a piece across mine to reduce the GLOW in the room, when I need to adjust humidity or take it off to get up for work before daylight.

Desaturation index 16.5/hr.
AutoSet at 10-13

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Fri May 13, 2011 7:31 am

Resmed had some problem humidifiers. I had problems too. They replaced it under warranty.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Fri May 13, 2011 9:14 am

Bright Choice wrote:Resmed had some problem humidifiers. I had problems too. They replaced it under warranty.
Very interesting. I am sending my unit back on an RMA this week for a checkup. I am interested to hear what they say.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 pm

I've had both errors. One was on an extremely hot day when the sun was shining on the unit and hose. The other time was when I ran the humidifier dry during the night. They're both overtemperature errors. Neither has since recurred. I doubt they're the fault of the machine.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 am

So I sent my machine back for a repair. CPAP.com told me that there was a problem with the humidifier and they replaced it under warranty. I have not had any errors or problems since.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Mon May 30, 2011 10:34 am

Slartybartfast wrote:I've had both errors. One was on an extremely hot day when the sun was shining on the unit and hose. The other time was when I ran the humidifier dry during the night. They're both overtemperature errors. Neither has since recurred. I doubt they're the fault of the machine.

I sent my humidifier back to CPAP.com for a repair. They told me that there WAS a problem with the unit. Apparently ResMed has had a problem with these error messages. They replaced the humidifier under warranty. The problem seems to be solved. (Even when the sun does shine on the unit there are no error messages.) My guess would be that the fix was a firmware change... But if you are getting these errors I would suggest sending your unit back fo a replacement while it's still under warranty.

tchavalas

Post by tchavalas » Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 am

Slartybartfast wrote:I've had both errors. One was on an extremely hot day when the sun was shining on the unit and hose. The other time was when I ran the humidifier dry during the night. They're both overtemperature errors. Neither has since recurred. I doubt they're the fault of the machine.
It's a fault in the firmware and ResMed has a fix for it. I would send your humidifier back for a replacement before your warranty runs out.

Chris36

Post by Chris36 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 pm

And i guess if you're past thye warranty they just crew you with the new one. Looks like i got one of the defective units and i get to buy a new one since my insurance company only replaces every 3 years a humidifier. I'll request another brand then resmed.

moec@rubenzahl.com

Post by moec@rubenzahl.com » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 am

Just had this happen a couple of times. In my case, I had forgotten to fill the water reservoir and awoke from the hot air. I filled it and the fault occurred. Found this in Resmed's documentation. The third one (which I bolded) is my answer. Let it cool before adding water. That fixed it and I did not need to replace the humidifier.
Displays error message: Humidifier fault, replace humidifier:

Device has been left in a hot environment. => Allow to cool before re-use. Disconnect the power cord and then reconnect it to restart the device.

There is a fault in your H5i heated humidifier. => Discontinue using your H5i and contact your clinician/service provider.

Refilling the humidifier with cold water while humidifier is still hot after therapy. => Allow the humidifier to cool before re-filling.

Filling the humidifier with ice cold water on a warm day or with hot water. => Use room temperature water.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 am

moec@rubenzahl.com wrote:Just had this happen a couple of times. In my case, I had forgotten to fill the water reservoir and awoke from the hot air. I filled it and the fault occurred. Found this in Resmed's documentation. The third one (which I bolded) is my answer. Let it cool before adding water. That fixed it and I did not need to replace the humidifier.
Displays error message: Humidifier fault, replace humidifier:

Device has been left in a hot environment. => Allow to cool before re-use. Disconnect the power cord and then reconnect it to restart the device.

There is a fault in your H5i heated humidifier. => Discontinue using your H5i and contact your clinician/service provider.

Refilling the humidifier with cold water while humidifier is still hot after therapy. => Allow the humidifier to cool before re-filling.

Filling the humidifier with ice cold water on a warm day or with hot water. => Use room temperature water.
This is interesting but just so you know ...both of your messages are responding to old posts