Battery Backup Resmed S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surfsup

Battery Backup Resmed S9

Post by surfsup » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:40 am

I'm doing research for purchasing a battery backup for a Resmed S9 /H5i for use during power outages. I need to be able to use humidity and a heated tube (no way of turning that off). Please share your experience with runtimes that you have used with your machine. Thanks!

EDIT: I've had lots of really helpful responses here that will help my research, but I would love to get specific battery models that other S9 users are using, or have used. Which ones worked for you and which ones did not (for reasons that may not be obvious in online reviews). My health issues make a lot of information processing exhausting very quickly, so that would help alot. :wink:
Last edited by surfsup on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Re: Battery Backup Resmed S9

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am

There is a way to turn off both the humidity and the heated hose in the clinical setup menu area of your machine.
So it can be turned off if you can do without extra moisture or heated air.
Or are you saying you absolutely need the extra moisture and heated air??? Both of which are going to suck a battery down quickly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:57 am

surfsup wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:40 am
I'm doing research for purchasing a battery backup for a Resmed S9 /H5i for use during power outages. I need to be able to use humidity and a heated tube (no way of turning that off). Please share your experience with runtimes that you have used with your machine. Thanks!
You'll need 5x as much battery for heated tube and humidifier.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:30 pm

surfsup wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:40 am
it's an enormous thread, but you could start wading through it-

viewtopic/t114012/Choosing-a-Battery.html?hilit=battery
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

surfsup

Post by surfsup » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks Zonker for giving me the link! I'm sure I can find some answers there.

surfsup

Post by surfsup » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am
There is a way to turn off both the humidity and the heated hose in the clinical setup menu area of your machine.
So it can be turned off if you can do without extra moisture or heated air.
Or are you saying you absolutely need the extra moisture and heated air??? Both of which are going to suck a battery down quickly.

I think the answer is both, although I will look for the turn off in the clinical menu. It wasn't obvious to me, so I thought it wasn't an option. The main thing is I really do need the humidity, so that's my preferred criterion for the purchase. I would like something that can handle the humidity on.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm

surfsup wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks Zonker for giving me the link! I'm sure I can find some answers there.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Here is the ResMed Battery Guide:

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... lo_eng.pdf

If you go to page 8 you will see the specs for Battery requirements for an S9 with H5i and heated hose.

Depending on your particular settings, you're battery draw could be a large as 56-79 Amp Hours. If you can't compromise on humidity and a heated hose then get your wallet out, because it's going to be expensive.

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 am

If you can deal with having your humidity and heat settings fairly low,, then you can certainly use a battery backup.. I built one this summer using a 35 amp hour battery, and I found that it could actually run for several nights with my humidity setting on two or three. Above that and the battery ran down very rapidly. That being said, there are ways you can deal with less humidity. One trick I have found very useful is to bring a small bottle of saline spray,, and to spray that into my nose at the beginning of the night and every time I wake up. You can also try one of the small HME units that capture and recycle humidity in your breath.

surfsup

Post by surfsup » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 am

remstarcpap wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 am
If you can deal with having your humidity and heat settings fairly low,, then you can certainly use a battery backup.. I built one this summer using a 35 amp hour battery, and I found that it could actually run for several nights with my humidity setting on two or three. Above that and the battery ran down very rapidly. That being said, there are ways you can deal with less humidity. One trick I have found very useful is to bring a small bottle of saline spray,, and to spray that into my nose at the beginning of the night and every time I wake up. You can also try one of the small HME units that capture and recycle humidity in your breath.
Good info thanks! I'll see if I can figure out how to adjust the humidity settings, and test those.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 pm

I went through the same exercise several years ago. You might want to look at this thread: viewtopic/t73063/UPSZILLA--UPS-Uninterr ... upply.html My S9 Autoset only used about 32 Watts once the water was warm.