Weight loss after cpap anyone?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snuginarug

Weight loss after cpap anyone?

Post by snuginarug » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I went to the doctor today and she told me I have lost 22 pounds since July, the month I started cpap. I didn't change a single thing about my diet, exercise or other routines.

Anybody else experience this?

navyvet72

Re: Weight loss after cpap anyone?

Post by navyvet72 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 am

I wish I could say I was losing weight, but I have actually gained a few pounds, mainly water weight because I've quit getting up 4-5 times a night to go to the bathroom. It's not my kidneys, their fine. I am a diabetic and have high BP, so that could be it but haven't been to the doctor yet to check it out. Maybe after I get use to the machine I'll start losing weight. By the way congratulations on the weight loss.

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 pm

snuginarug wrote:I went to the doctor today and she told me I have lost 22 pounds since July, the month I started cpap. I didn't change a single thing about my diet, exercise or other routines.

Wow! Hooray for you! I was hoping this would happen to me, but so far no luck. I need to get 10 or 15 lbs off and it just is not happening. I wish you knew how you did it so you could share the secret!

Jeanette
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:56 am

I lost several pounds after first starting cpap.

The reason being.....before I started therapy, I'd "nap" several times a day, and every time I woke up, I'd be STARVING and have to eat something. Usually some candy or some cookies, or some other junk food. After I started cpap, I no longer took the naps, and didn't need to stuff my face.

Congrat's on losing 22 lbs!!!!

I went on a diet myself last July, and so far have lost 80lbs. The diet only lasted from July thru November when I gave up on it for the Holidays, intending to start again January 1st (which never happened! ) Since I'm still losing weight, I figure WHY go back on the diet!

dae3dae3

Post by dae3dae3 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 am

I lost weight and then gained weight and now I am losing again.

I don't know if it has much to do with the CPAP. I go to a dietitian monthly now to weigh in and talk about things. It has been a big help. It is nice to have someone to talk to who can give specific examples of things to eat and how much. It also gives some accountability since I know that I have that appointment coming up and want to have lost weight from the last month. My insurance won't pay for it but it is worth the $30 a month to me. The insurance will pay $25,000 for bariatric surgery but won't pay $30 for a dietitian meeting.

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 am

I've lost 60 pounds.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 am

When I had my CPAP machine set wrong, I lost weight. I was having nausea and heartburn. I lost weight on the "too sick to eat diet."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Fri May 06, 2011 3:41 pm

snuginarug wrote:I went to the doctor today and she told me I have lost 22 pounds since July, the month I started cpap. I didn't change a single thing about my diet, exercise or other routines.

I'm jealous, Snug!! I've gained a few pounds.

Geminidream

Post by Geminidream » Fri May 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Congrats on the weight loss!

When I first started CPAP I thought I would lose some weight,but it remained the same...that is good considering I had been slowly gaining weight and having less and less energy from not resting at night. Once I was on CPAP a little over a year and had the energy to exercise more, I started a lifestyle change in January and have lost about 22 lbs. Need about 8 more to be where I want. CPAP has helped in the aspect of having energy to get through the day and not so many naps

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Fri May 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks for responding everyone!

I am disappointed, I thought this was far more common.
newhosehead wrote: I wish you knew how you did it so you could share the secret!
My totally unprofessional and uninformed opinion is that when a person is choking and gasping and suffocating all night long, this puts the body into crisis mode where it hangs on to every calorie just in case of emergency. Just like dieting slows the metabolism down, because the body goes into crisis mode and prepares for future deprivation by storing fat. The body's motto is Always be prepared.

sagesteve wrote:I've lost 60 pounds.
Sagesteve, that is awesome. Did you change your diet or other habits?

Geminidream wrote:Once I was on CPAP a little over a year and had the energy to exercise more, I started a lifestyle change
I have heard a number of people say this. My doctor also told me this happens for many people.
archangle wrote:When I had my CPAP machine set wrong, I lost weight. I was having nausea and heartburn. I lost weight on the "too sick to eat diet."
Oh man, I hate that diet, I've been on it too. Clostridium!
dae3dae3 wrote:The insurance will pay $25,000 for bariatric surgery but won't pay $30 for a dietitian meeting.
This boggles my mind. My insurance also does not cover a dietitian. How does this make sense?

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 am

snuginarug wrote:Thanks for responding everyone!

I am disappointed, I thought this was far more common.
newhosehead wrote: I wish you knew how you did it so you could share the secret!
My totally unprofessional and uninformed opinion is that when a person is choking and gasping and suffocating all night long, this puts the body into crisis mode where it hangs on to every calorie just in case of emergency. Just like dieting slows the metabolism down, because the body goes into crisis mode and prepares for future deprivation by storing fat. The body's motto is Always be prepared.
Well, I do not disagree with you at all. In fact, I had rather hoped/expected I would lose some weight after I started treatment, as I am rather sure I had been going through the choking, gasping, etc for several years before getting the diagnosis. So now that I have been on the hose for well over a year and my treatment is working well, I was simply curious. especially as you said you had changed nothing in your diet, lifestyle, etc.
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 am

After a year it started to work for me but it was more because I became more active and dealt with some of the underlying emotional issues. I also had to break some bad habits fostered by the sleepiness and emotional issues. But I am down to 143 from 165. I now need a belt to hold things up. I am working towards 125 which is where I was before the world fell apart for me. The last 10 lbs came off this winter/spring due to a combination of health issues (medication which made me queasy) and renovation and lack of cash - the peasant subsistence diet - physical labour combined with sardines in toast.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jaymayLA

Post by jaymayLA » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm not on CPAP (yet), but my doctor told me that the body manufactures a protein hormone called leptin when it has been in deep sleep for more than 6 hours. Leptin helps regulate metabolism, and also suppresses appetite (probably the body's natural way of keeping itself from waking up due to hunger). So, theoretically, if you're getting more deep sleep due to the CPAP, you're body's leptin production could be up, and that's what's contributing to the weight loss.

Just a thought.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 pm

I went up and down for a few months after starting CPAP. However, in May I got serious about portion control and counting calories. Since then, I have lost about 23 pounds.

Resister

Post by Resister » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Congratulations!

I always *assumed* people lost weight once they started therapy because the only person I knew IRL did. Figured that because the body was getting proper rest it could start working as it's supposed to. However, this has not been the case for me. Every pound I have lost has been hard earned.

Plus, now that I am on C-pap, I am up later, and seem to snack at night
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~