Which side of the filter to use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slojuggler

Which side of the filter to use

Post by slojuggler » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Hello,

For the Philips REMstar Plus C-Flex, page 5 of the User Manual suggests under the section Installing the Air Filters
1. If you are using the white disposable ultra-fine filter, insert it into the filter area first, mesh-side facing in.
What do they mean by the mesh side. Is it the soft side or the not-so-soft side?

One side seems to be easier to breathe through (the soft side) than the other side. *shrug*

CPAPorElse?

Re: Which side of the filter to use

Post by CPAPorElse? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

The " mesh side" is the plastic patterned side. The "felt" side, thus faces out, there's usually a tab that you bend at a 90 degree angle facing out, that's what you pull on to remove it and replace it.
The felt side collects the micro dust from the air as it's sucked thru the plastic cap you fit over the filters. The felt side thus is what you see when checking it for replacement, it becomes gray, not white, if it's black, you waited too long to replace.' I use cpapplus.com for supplies, their filters are cheap, and lightweight tubing, they even have a tube-cleaning brush . And bacterial filters, check those out.

Slo- I'm using the same gear. I've used the Mirage Swift I, II, and LT, and now the FX. Chinstraps are hard to get right- this is the best I've found so far- fyi-

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cardin ... strap.html

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 pm

I agree with CPAPorElse. I think of it as the plastic mesh side keeps the "fuzz" from being sucked into the cpap machine.

I understand that Respironics has stopped putting the tab on the white filters because they caused fitting problems. You may need some sort of pointed object to fish the white filter out of the machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

slojuggler

Post by slojuggler » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks for the tips all.

archangle is correct. Out of the box filters shipping with the current Respironics machines are tabless. Looks like I was putting the filter in the correct way (the apparently slightly harder to breathe way).

Maybe if this keeps up, I'll just alternate between having and not having the filter on days when my allergies aren't bad.

I held the filter up against a white piece of paper under fluorescents and found the grey....had no idea that much pollen/muck was around. Good thing I mail ordered for some filters online...they are "in the mail."

CPaporelse, how is that bacterial filter and brush? I saw those before...do they appear to help any?

Thanks for the chinstrap tip. I may check that out. The Respironics one is a puzzle...good for when I'm awake, not so good when I'm sleepy

Have you tried this one with the Swift?
http://www.amazon.com/CPAP-Chin-Strap-C ... 549&sr=8-1

slojuggler

Post by slojuggler » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 pm

CPAPorElse? wrote:The felt side collects the micro dust from the air as it's sucked thru the plastic cap you fit over the filters.
CPAPorElse Plastic cap? Did you mean grey reusable foam filter? Or did you mean I have to buy one of these things now?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... FAQ8wIwAg#

xyz

Post by xyz » Sun May 01, 2011 3:04 pm

> Maybe if this keeps up, I'll just alternate between having and
> not having the filter on days when my allergies aren't bad.

Not recommended.

There is no good reason not to a) use both filters b) all the time.
No good reason not to.

Depending on your indoor environment (and if you have allergies):
Change the disposable (white) filter once or twice a month.
Rinse out the foam (gray) filter weekly.
Wash it with a gentle soap once a month.
Must be completely dry before using again.

And, yes, for the disposable (white) filter the "fuzzy" (soft) side is to the outside and the "plastic" (firm) side is to the inside of your machine.

Think of it like your furnace filter. The side that's to the inside (closer to the furnace) has some sort of a screen/mesh/whatever on that side to prevent the soft side (that collects the dust) from being sucked into the furnace.

oneDay@aThyme

Post by oneDay@aThyme » Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm going to try one of these "pollen" filters, the white one, for the first time tonight, along with the grey foam one. I ordered them from my DME and they came without instructions. I was trying to figure out which side should face in or out, so this was helpful, thanks. I have a lot of dust in my home, and am always trying to keep it away from my machine, but figure this might be a good idea, as I have chronic sinus problems.

Someone said this filter makes it harder to breath. I haven't tried it yet, but that idea doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it just make the machine work harder to maintain your pressure level?

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm

oneDay@aThyme wrote:Someone said this filter makes it harder to breath. I haven't tried it yet, but that idea doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it just make the machine work harder to maintain your pressure level?
For the filter that goes on the back of the machine, it should not affect air flow at the mask. The machine should compensate by pumping harder. I suppose that if the filter was really clogged up, it might reduce airflow, but I'm sure the machine is designed to handle it. You might see a pressure/airflow drop if you have a big leak, I guess.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 am

I use that filter with my machine & it is really difficult to force air through it.
Try blowing through one in the direction that the air will flow. It is tough.

I have always been concerned that the air flow will take the path of least resistance & go around the filter & defeat the purpose of having that filter at all.

xyz

Post by xyz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:24 pm

SX:
> I have always been concerned that the air flow will take the path of least resistance
> & go around the filter & defeat the purpose of having that filter at all.

First answer:
Not if you put it in correctly.

Second answer (a question actually):
Do you seriously think that a manufacturer would _design_ the filter so that it would damage either the patient or the machine?

Nonsense. There are too many underemployed lawyers who would love to make a class action suit out of that.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon May 02, 2011 3:05 pm

StevenXXXX wrote:I have always been concerned that the air flow will take the path of least resistance & go around the filter & defeat the purpose of having that filter at all.
If that were the case, it would never go "gray" (dirty). Since they DO turn gray, they obviously work as designed...keeping the "gray" out of your lungs. It ain't rocket surgery...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Post by Guest » Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 am

I'm also trying to figure out what side of the filter to use, still not sure from the descriptions above. Both sides look nearly the same to me. Neither side looks like mesh. When the tech was explaining everything to me, she referred to a shiny side, the shiny side should go one way or the other, but can't remember which. But the user guide refers to a mesh side, I can't tell which side is the mesh side. Is the mesh side the same as the shiny side?

REMstar Auto a-flex

haven't figured out yet how to get my equipment list to show up at the bottom like everyone else. Where are the instructions for this?

Thanks

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun May 08, 2011 10:21 am

In order to show your equipment you first need to register. Then go to the User Control Panel and list your equipment in the User Profile area.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 am

Yes, the shiny side is the mesh side.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

rsw

Post by rsw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Question - is there an online source in Canada for these filters? Please?