Stopping breathing while awake.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lee-ann D.

Re: Stopping breathing while awake.

Post by Lee-ann D. » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Interesting, I was just looking this up, as I have noticed myself doing the same recently. I was diagnosed with both central & obstructive sleep apnea about 7 months ago. I use a CPAP at night but haven't been for the past couple weeks due to horrid allergies & not being able to breathe through my nose (I need to get a full-face mask). Anyway, I have noticed over the past week or so that I've been doing this much more throughout the day, probably 5 or 6 times a day, and noticing. I, too, gasp (almost) for breath after stopping breathing for about 10 seconds (estimate, obviously, as I don't realize I'm doing it). It's also at times when I'm very relaxed... normally when reading. I have an appt with my sleep doc here soon, so I'll be sure to mention it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:03 pm

Definitely do that, because not everything is related to OSA/Cpap and there could be other explanations.

too2old

Post by too2old » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:09 pm

I have this happen several times a day when relaxing in the afternoon. I always have to gasp for air; significantly. contacting my sleep doctor via email, he says it's not sleep apnea and to check with my primary doc. from what I read here, seems I may need a 2nd opinion.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:14 pm

too2old wrote:I have this happen several times a day when relaxing in the afternoon. I always have to gasp for air; significantly. contacting my sleep doctor via email, he says it's not sleep apnea and to check with my primary doc. from what I read here, seems I may need a 2nd opinion.
Since you have a Sleep Doctor,I assume you have Sleep Apnea, if you are not sleeping when this happens, it is not Sleep Apnea. There is no Awake Apnea. See your primary doctor or Pulmonologist.