Stopping breathing while awake.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hosehead4ever

Stopping breathing while awake.

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Something I forgot to mention to the sleep doctor that I don't know if it is related to my apnea is this: I stop breathing while I'm awake. It seems like I might be breathing very slowly and shallowly and then I suddenly gasp for air and start breathing again. Sometimes it feels like maybe I forgot to breathe.

Is this normal? Is this something common to OSA patients? Am I having some kind of waking central? Does anyone know anything about this kind of symptom? I am going to mention it to the doc but just wonder if it is anything significant.

Otter

Re: Stopping breathing while awake.

Post by Otter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm

It's very common for people to stop breathing while awake whether they have OSA or not. Gasping for breath afterward sounds less common, but maybe you're just more aware of it. How hard and for how long do you breathe to recover? Do you feel lightheaded or short of breath when this happens?

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't get lightheaded unless sometimes if I stand up suddenly. It's just that I become very aware that I'm not breathing and it's like the breathe is a huge relief. Otherwise, no significant reaction from it. But it is something that I only became aware of in the last six months or so. I'm not terribly concerned about it unless there is cause to be.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Sometimes it feels like maybe I forgot to breathe.

Katy

That's exactly what I do and I attribute it to an episode of central apnea. It wasn't until my sleep study last fall that the docs said 'Oh yes, a central'.

It's kind of odd to watch yourself go through an episode of Cheyne-Stokes while you are awake. Shallow breathing, then stopping, then resumed breathing with some bigger breaths and then repeat it once again.

For me, its easiest to observe in the evening while watching TV and fully relaxed.

Unless your stats show a lot of them, its probably not too important. Make sure you mention it to your sleep doc in case he feels the need to check for other related problems.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:Something I forgot to mention to the sleep doctor that I don't know if it is related to my apnea is this: I stop breathing while I'm awake. It seems like I might be breathing very slowly and shallowly and then I suddenly gasp for air and start breathing again. Sometimes it feels like maybe I forgot to breathe.
I do this a lot too. I've told my doctor about it and she doesn't seem to concerned, but maybe with me, it's minor compared to the rest of my issues.

I'll definitely mention it to your doctor.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback. Interesting to know that it has a name. Definitely is on the list of things I'll mention to the doc.

Katy

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I have those episodes quite often also. AND especially during periods of relaxation. Also I seem to take a big quick deep breath involuntarily ever so often. I think anxiety plays a role in this.

BryanC

Post by BryanC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:56 pm

I too stop breathing while awake, and after a short time, I realize it, and start breathing again. My wife says she does the same (and she doesn't have Sleep Apnea). I RARELY have any Central Apnea events at night, I don't think I've ever had more than 2 in a night, and that only seems to happen if I DONT SLEEP the night before, like I go into an extra deep sleep or something? Anyways, I asked my doctor about it, and he said it was normal for people to do that. Though, I don't gasp for air when I notice it, I just start breathing again, and maybe take a deep(er?) breath.... So, the real question is, do you NEED to gasp, or are you just panicking (really? it has a K in it? according to my spellcheck it does!?) ? if you NEED to gasp, it might be a concern.. Otherwise, it's pretty typical... those who think it's unusual (looking back a few posts ) just haven't become aware that they are doing it yet.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 am

It CAN be associated with congestive heart failure. If it is C-S, you really ought to talk with the Medicine Man about it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2589377/

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 am

I don't think I have anything drastic like heart failure. I'm 32, low blood pressure, low cholesterol, no indication of diabetes, no strokes. I think it *might* be associated with centrals, but I'm going to ask just to put my mind at ease. But in general, I'm not too worried about it.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:03 am

Understood. I'm just sayin'. Others read these posts so it's worthwhile getting the word out in case someone else might find themselves in the same boat.

FWIW, I expect if you ask a pulmonologist, he/she'll have a $0.25 word for just what you're describing. And it's probably no biggie. Watch a dog or cat breathe sometime. He'll sit there and all of a sudden stop breathing. Listening, probably. But I think we do mental things like that all the time and don't even notice them most of the time.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 am

You're right. I hadn't thought of it being informative for others. Too early in the afternoon for me.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:36 am

A pulse oximeter might give some interesting data. Besides every apnea fanatic and forumaholic needs one anyway.

I like my CMS-50D plus.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 pm

archangle wrote:A pulse oximeter might give some interesting data. Besides every apnea fanatic and forumaholic needs one anyway.
Eventually, I will get one just out of curiosity.