What's a used Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced worth?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonnybee

What's a used Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced worth?

Post by jonnybee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Looking to buy a standby machine. Saw a Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced with Humidifier (Core Pack) with 425 hours advertised on Craigslist.
Anyone have any idea what this machine is actually worth? Cpap.com has a price of $5800 on it. What year vintage is this machine? I see there are no reviews for it.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

rested gal

Re: What's a used Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced worth?

Post by rested gal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 pm

jonnybee wrote:Looking to buy a standby machine. Saw a Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced with Humidifier (Core Pack) with 425 hours advertised on Craigslist.
Anyone have any idea what this machine is actually worth? Cpap.com has a price of $5800 on it. What year vintage is this machine? I see there are no reviews for it.
jonny, your equipment profile lists a ResMed S9 Autoset as your main machine.

Just wanted to check to be sure you are not interpreting the word "Auto" in the name "Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced" as meaning that machine can be set in an autotitrating mode that will work in the same way your Autoset does, or even in the same way a Respironics autopap works.

The "SV" in the name of the machine you're looking at is "servo ventilator." And the word BiPAP in the name means the machine is a bilevel machine -- separate EPAP/IPAP pressures are set...not a range of just minimum/maximum pressures like in your Autoset machine.

However, you can use that SV machine for straight CPAP therapy, or as plain bilevel therapy if you don't want to get into servo ventilation. You might find that either of those ways of using it give you effective therapy. Bilevel therapy is particularly comfortable...if your breathing and a particular brand of bilevel machine gee and haw well together.

What you can't do is use an SV as an "autopap" in exactly the same way an autotitrating CPAP machine (like your Autoset) "autotitrates." Bilevel Auto and Bilevel Auto SV machines don't have an "auto" mode like your Autoset machine has. They are first and foremost "bilevel" machines...a different breed of cat from CPAP and autopap.

All that said, I'd jump at buying that machine if you can get it at what you want to spend for a "standby" machine. You don't have to use it as a "servo ventilator."

Worst case scenario, if the machine doesn't suit you well, you can always sell it at CPAPauction.com. Quite a few people in this forum might be looking particularly for an SV machine. That's a pretty low number of hours, so if you found out pretty soon that you didn't like the way it delivers therapy, there might be several willing buyers for it right here on this forum.

Here's a screenshot of a page in the Provider manual explaining how a Respironics BiPAP AutoSV can be set to operate as a CPAP or as a Bilevel, instead of being used as a servo ventilator. If you get the machine, I'd suggest setting it to act as a bilevel:
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks RG. The machine would be a standby used in the cpap mode unless things change down the road. I appreciate all the info.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 pm

jonnybee wrote:Looking to buy a standby machine. Saw a Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced with Humidifier (Core Pack) with 425 hours advertised on Craigslist.
Hi, jonnybee. What it's worth is a tricky question. The better question is, "What's it worth to YOU?"

I've purchased two Respironics BiPAP ASV's (not the Advanced model) from sellers on CL. Both had very low hours on them. The first one cost me just $300; I paid $500 for the second one (as a backup) about five months later. I'm very satisfied with both transactions.

HTH
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Buy it and throw your CPAP away! (or keep it as a backup). I love this machine.

P.S. Its hard to believe anybody who needs this machine would let it go. Unless the person selling this machine is getting the ResMed equivalent, or he/she is deceased, or resigned to be deceased. I've only experienced CPAP or BiPAP in my sleep study. So, take this with that grain of salt. Just set you EPAP min and max, PS min and max, and Max Pressure. Then let it do its thing. You will hardly know its on.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

RandWillDo

Post by RandWillDo » Fri May 24, 2013 3:40 am

I am curious as to the value of this machine also. I have one with a couple of new in the package masks, hose, and carry case. It has virtually no use and would like to sell it.

RandWillDo

Post by RandWillDo » Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm

SO is there anyone here who can help me out with selling this machine? The money is going to a gentleman who needs hearing aids.
He lives on barely anything and his hearing is going very very quickly. I would truly appreciate any and all help for him.
Rand