How do I open my machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

How do I open my machine?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi again.

As I previously posted, the machine noted in my signature got fried by lightning a few weeks ago. I've been using my backup "tank" ASV since then, but it's not treating my apnea as well. (I've nodded out a few times during the day.) I no longer own the card reader needed for the tank, so I have no way to view the data and have been adjusting pressure settings on the fly. :? While I think my adjustments have helped, I'd much prefer to use my 950 again if I can save it.

My neighbor was kind enough to test the machine and an also-fried favorite nightlight with his power meter, and both were dead. I was, however, later able to save the nightlight by fiddling with the little metal plate inside that meets the bulb, and now it works again. I'm hoping I can open the xPAP and somehow achieve the same result...

(I did look into replacing the machine through the DME/insurance because I can't afford to purchase even a used one, but the DME is beyond ridiculous. They said I need a new sleep study :evil: AND they're insisting that I come in for a mask fitting. AYFKM? After 11 years of therapy, five sleep studies, and using the same mask for years, that's not happening.)

So I'm looking for help in opening the machine. (I'm not sure I can actually fix it, but I can't just throw it away without trying.) Problem: There are two deep holes in the plastic case and, at the bottom of each, there appears to be a screw with an inverted conical head. I've searched Google to no avail, so I don't even know what *kind* of screws they are, nevermind how to remove them. *sigh*

Identification, suggestions or ideas are welcome. TIA
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

palerider

Re: How do I open my machine?

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

You need a long shank T15 screwdriver. Pretty sure you can get one at home Depot.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Stom

Post by Stom » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:07 pm
Hi again.

As I previously posted, the machine noted in my signature got fried by lightning a few weeks ago. ..

Identification, suggestions or ideas are welcome. TIA
My suggestion is to send it in to a professional repair service. As you know better than I do, ASVs are **expensive**. So mucking about with their electronics doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have experience with in-circuit diagnostics and surface mount component soldering or have access to replacement boards. If you have already tried using a known to be working external power supply brick on the ASV and found that it doesn't make the machine work, then I'd say you aren't likely to find anything simple to repair inside the machine itself.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks, PR. Just knowing what it's called is helpful. :wink:

I have a T15 drill bit, and I was able to use it to remove the two long screws and open the machine. I've examined the circuit board and don't see anything that looks fried or blown out; all of the connections appear to be intact. I also took a soft makeup brush and dusted everything, just for good measure. I then was able to remove the seven even-smaller-headed screws holding the plastic covering over the blower (with a letter opener) so I could examine the wiring underneath. Again, nothing appears fried or out of the ordinary. :?

Is there anything else I can/should do before putting the machine back together to see if it works now?

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Stom wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm

My suggestion is to send it in to a professional repair service. As you know better than I do, ASVs are **expensive**. So mucking about with their electronics doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have experience with in-circuit diagnostics and surface mount component soldering or have access to replacement boards. If you have already tried using a known to be working external power supply brick on the ASV and found that it doesn't make the machine work, then I'd say you aren't likely to find anything simple to repair inside the machine itself.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the machine's over five years old and probably isn't worth the hassle and cost of a professional repair. I did contact a repair place when it happened a few weeks ago, but they never responded. At this point, I'm just going to do what (if anything) I can to fix it myself. If I succeed, awesome; if not, it'll be tossed. *shrug*

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 pm

I think we have a member here that does do cpap repair.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 pm
I think we have a member here that does do cpap repair.

Your post is not very helpful if you don't know who it is.

https://acbio.com/ is an authorized repair center but that is not what she is asking.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:59 pm
Thanks, PR. Just knowing what it's called is helpful. :wink:

I have a T15 drill bit, and I was able to use it to remove the two long screws and open the machine. I've examined the circuit board and don't see anything that looks fried or blown out; all of the connections appear to be intact. I also took a soft makeup brush and dusted everything, just for good measure. I then was able to remove the seven even-smaller-headed screws holding the plastic covering over the blower (with a letter opener) so I could examine the wiring underneath. Again, nothing appears fried or out of the ordinary. :?

Is there anything else I can/should do before putting the machine back together to see if it works now?
So, here's a thought.. get your neighbor to check the voltages *while the machine is plugged in*... I've seen a lot of power supplies fail in such a way that they give out fine voltage without any load, but as soon as you plug them in, they don't work.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for the link, LSAT. That's the outfit I contacted and got no reply from a few weeks ago. I called again just now and left another message. We'll see if they bother to call me back this time. :?

jim22

Post by jim22 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 pm

The power surge could have fried the electronics, it's jot likely you can fix it. Do you have homeowners insurance? You might be able to submit a claim for the loss of the machine.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm

So, here's a thought.. get your neighbor to check the voltages *while the machine is plugged in*... I've seen a lot of power supplies fail in such a way that they give out fine voltage without any load, but as soon as you plug them in, they don't work.
I'll do that IF I can get the damned machine back together... The housing is not cooperating, and I can't figure out why. GRRRR!
jim22 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 pm
The power surge could have fried the electronics, it's jot likely you can fix it. Do you have homeowners insurance? You might be able to submit a claim for the loss of the machine.
Jim
Yes, I have homeowner's insurance, but there's a $500 deductible. Insurance never seems to help like you'd expect it would. :(

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm
palerider wrote:

I'll do that IF I can get the damned machine back together... The housing is not cooperating, and I can't figure out why. GRRRR!
No no... it needs to be open, so he can check the voltages with the machine connected... otherwise, he can't get to the contact points.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm
BleepingBeauty wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm
palerider wrote:

No no... it needs to be open, so he can check the voltages with the machine connected... otherwise, he can't get to the contact points.
OK, good, because my fingers are sore now. It's storming again, and I swear a bolt of lightning just hit my yard. It lit up my livingroom, shook the windows, and scared the hell outta both me and the dog. Good thing it's also pouring rain, or I might be dealing with a wildfire... :shock:

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Might ask WRX03 who seems to understand the guts of our machines.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 pm
and I swear a bolt of lightning just hit my yard. It lit up my livingroom, shook the windows, and scared the hell outta both me and the dog. Good thing it's also pouring rain, or I might be dealing with a wildfire... :shock:
So... there was this time I pulled up next to the elevator 'room' on the top of a parking garage... in a rainstorm... it was a 5 story garage, with a 8 story one right next to it... as I was making it into the little room, all the sudden there was an incredible FLASHBANG! .... I'm pretty sure lighting hit the parking garage just behind me. It certainly got my attention.