I can't thank all of you enough...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MrPianoman

I can't thank all of you enough...

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 am

Hello, this is my first post, but I've been lurking the last couple weeks and reading, reading, reading. I received my cpap setup 6 months ago (exactly because I just came from my medical supplier because I was due for a new mask and other goodies like a hose, chin strap, ect.). Before reading all of your posts, I was lucky to have 3 hours a night with the mask, and I bet I didn't get 2 weeks out of the entire 6 months I've had it...until I read the posts on mask liners and everything else. I originally received a Mirage Quattro FX full face mask, and that totally didn't work for me. The pads would wear out every month (I'm lucky enough to be on Medicare so they're replaced) and the thing leaked like crazy no matter what I tried. I never got more than 3 or 4 hours sleep with it until I read a few posts on mask liners and Pad-A-Cheeks, (I sewed my own but I got the idea from this and the posts here that pointed me to them. If you can't sew and want a mask liner, I would recommend trying these).

I'm so happy to tell you all that I've slept the entire night the last 8 nights with my hose and I feel great! I used to find every excuse to not put on the mask, but now I look forward to putting it on and sleeping. For me, the Mirage Quattro FX just didn't work out until I sewed myself a mask liner (I cut out ones from an old t-shirt to try, I thought you guys were crazy, but boy, was I wrong!!!)

After reading reviews and watching videos, I decided to try the TrueBlue Nasal mask this time, and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. Because of all the wonderful information on this forum, I can now use my cpap, and start getting some results. I irrigate my sinuses to help with congestion (found a ton of info here on that), and use good ol Vicks to open up my nose at night. Just reading the posts from other members and their support to each other helped out immensely as well.

As with all things, I guess you need to find something that works for you, and what works for someone else might not be your ticket, but support is universal.

Once again, thank you all for being here, for me as well as everybody else that seeks out information and finds it here.

Now, get some sleep, eh hoser?

Mr.Pianoman (aka Brant)

nanwilson

Re: I can't thank all of you enough...

Post by nanwilson » Thu May 17, 2012 10:30 am

Welcome Brant
You might like to try another hint.....pursleep. It is an essential oil and come in many scents...the best one is clear, as the name suggests it keeps your nose and sinuses clear all night. By using vicks you are introducing a petroleum jelly base to the mix of the silicone on your mask. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) and silicone do not mix..it degrades the silicone and you will have to replace your mask more often. Pursleep can be obtained by the original mfgr Pursleep.com and at cpap.com our hosts.
Clear is a eucalytus (spelling?) base and keeps your nose clear all night, you put a drop of it on a small disc or cotton ball and place in close to the intake on your machine, and the smell comes through your hose into hour nose all night long.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

MrPianoman

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am

Thank you so much, I'll defiantly check out the pursleep! I saw something similar last time my wife and I were at the local health food place (she's on this coconut oil kick lately ). I've seen the scent diffusers and was wanting to try one, so your suggestion is awesome!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 17, 2012 11:37 am

I wish to add my thanks for all the help I've received.
This forum is totally AWESOME.
(am I too old to be using that word?)

MrPianoman

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 am

...lol, never too old. I'm so glad you found help here too. This place saved my cpap, so totally awesome is just right!

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am

Congratulations, MrPianoman!! I want to say thanks every chance I get because I would definitely not be sleeping through the night without the help I've gotten here.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I wish to add my thanks for all the help I've received.
This forum is totally AWESOME.
(am I too old to be using that word?)

Say, "Cpaptalk is mad wicked pissah."

You will sound younger.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

MrPianoman

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 pm

...hehehe...speaking of young, my 6 year old thinks it's 'awesome' that Dad has a Darth Vader mask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

My hubby has the fireman mask; as does Sheriff Buford, another member here.
Who says Cpap ain't sexy?

MrPianoman

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 1:42 pm

lol, yes, CPAP is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sexy, 'cpecially in my chin strap I saw the fireman mask at the medical supplier today, I'm glad there's a mask for everyone and your husband can use that!
It was fun looking at all the masks and knowing what they were, and what some of the others here use.

Blindrage

Post by Blindrage » Thu May 17, 2012 2:20 pm

This one:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hans-r ... -mask.html

is pretty much a fighter pilot mask. It will be the next one I try. Just switched to the Forma on Monday, and I like it a lot as well.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My hubby has the fireman mask; as does Sheriff Buford, another member here.
Who says Cpap ain't sexy?
Ok "Chunk"... I now have fodder for my wifey...

Brant: thanks for your generous note... I really glad you are doin' so good. Even though I have a backup cpap machine, the though of going to sleep without it tonight is like thinking about death... you don't want to think abut either one of them.

Sheriff

MrPianoman

Post by MrPianoman » Thu May 17, 2012 2:32 pm

That's a nice mask. I used to think of my Quattro as a 'fighter pilot' mask, but that one's more like a pilot's. It's funny how I used to make up any excuse not to wear the darn thing, now I kind of look forward to going to sleep, and I've only really gotten about 8 days straight with the thing. Like I said, without this forum, my machine would be gathering dust.