A bald spot ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tash

A bald spot ?

Post by Tash » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:15 pm

Ok, I know this whole xPap thing has it's difficulties. I am committed to overcoming them. I knew, from reading previous posts that there was some chance of hair breakage if I went with the Aura. I have a lot of hair, it's thick, and it's long. I wasn't too worried about it.

However, I have only been on xPap for a week and a half. My hairstylist (who is also my sister which is very convenient) did my hair today, and informed me that I now have a bald spot behind my left ear, and it's the size of a nickel. Her words, "It's bald, very smooth. Not breakage...in fact... smooth as a baby's bottom..." (at that point, I think she knew I was starting to freak out and was pimping me a little, but I am not sure...)

I put my mask on with my sis to see what was causing the hair loss (she laughed at the getup, God love her () and we determined it is the very end and bottom of the blue rubber part before the black plastic part where the velcro strap goes thru that is rubbing on that spot. (I hope that makes sense)

I just had the best night of sleep last night with my set up (Aura mask/headgear). I will eventually have an Ultramirage FF mask (after the battle with Cigna). I can't really buy a new mask right now. Has anyone found a lab rat fix for the hair damage? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Tash (newgal)

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:44 pm

As much as I love the Aura, hair breakage keeps me from using it more often! That rubberized headband just does it job too good, I suppose. I am serious;y thinking about glueing a flannel backing on the headgear. Surely that would lighten the "pull" on the hair. Will let you know how it works.............

Colorado Jan

Post by Colorado Jan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:47 pm

Well that just takes all, doesn't it? You try to be a good girl with your CPAP and the darn mask makes you BALD?

That's really a strange place for that to happen. You said behind your ear? I would have thought it would be on top of your head. That's where the Aura is a real threat to my hair.

Could you make a little flannel tube sort of thing to cover that one clasp? Would that help?

Keep looking...there is a thread somewhere where Rested Gal totally butchers her Aura and pretty much takes the entire headgear off. But that is pretty drastic if that is the only mask you own. RG has a drawer full of masks. But I've always liked that thread because butchering the Aura's headgear sounds like fun to me! They must have only tested that mask on bald heads, I swear.

Jan in Colo.

Tash

Post by Tash » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:37 pm

Colorado Jan wrote:Well that just takes all, doesn't it? You try to be a good girl with your CPAP and the darn mask makes you BALD?

I know! I mean, there is plenty I am willing to sacrifice (like my dignity wearing the whole contraption every night...my honey now calls me "sexy mama" ).

I read Rested Gals post on deconstructing her Aura. I haven't worked up the guts yet for that (remember, I just finally bent the wires on the pillows portion last night...) Anyhow, I think it's rubbing behind my left ear because that is the side I sleep on (when I am not on my back). I am going to see if I can put something temporarily under that portion of the rubber headgear, and my husband is going to bring home a thin cloth-like hair cover that they use at work (that won't be until next week) - the way he described it is a papery-clothlike hair net... I don't know how much slippage that will cause, but I will keep lab ratting until I either find a solution or get a new mask. However, I think it's more likely I find a solution before I get my mask out of Cigna

I like the other idea about covering the rubber portion with flannel, but with this being my only mask at the time, am hesitant to do so. I do know I am experiencing hair breakage, but was willing to tough that out given the amount of hair I do have. I am not willing to get bald spots, though, for fear it will stay permanently bald (EEK! )

So, for now I will cover that portion of the rubber part, and will post how that affects the headgear staying in place - hopefully it will have a minimal impact.

Thanks for the ideas!

Tash

Post by Tash » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:38 pm

Sorry, folks, I obviously have yet to master the whole quote thing, the box should be around Colo. Jan's quote, not my reply

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:54 pm

This sounds more like Alopecia areata . I have it too and it is just a little spot at first then can get bigger. It is very smooth, like a babys butt. A dermatologist could tell you for sure and there are some presciption medicine that can treat it.

Tash

Post by Tash » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:58 pm

Bigcat,
Wow, I sure hope you are wrong (no offense...) I checked out the website on that, I am sorry you have it. I hope the treatment is working for you, it didn't sound like much fun.

I am hoping because the spot coincides with where my mask headgear rubs, that is what is causing it, but I will pay close attention to see if it continues to worsen. My sister just did my hair less than 6 weeks ago, and there wasn't a problem then, so I hoping it is related to the use of the headgear/mask.

I wrapped some first aid cloth tape (I think it's what RG uses to tape her mouth with...one day I will get brave enough to try that...) around the portion of the headgear that I think is rubbing. My hubby also found one of those hair cover things I described earlier, and am going to try that tonight.

I will keep the information on alopecia areata in mind, however, and appreciate you sharing that with me, in case that is what it is. Thanks again.

Colorado Jan

Post by Colorado Jan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:59 pm

I have to say that I also thought of Alopecia....really does sound more like something on that order instead of just a week's worth of an irritating mask. Although an irritating mask on an Alopecia spot couldn't be a good thing either.....You really might want to have that checked out...

jan in Colorado

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:53 am

A week of rubber, rubbing (sounds like part of a christmas carole doesn't it?) could cause a bald spot. I know just 4 or 5 days of having a smooth metal pin rubbing in the same small area can do the same thing. No pain... just ... well... like the "Depilatory Effect". No hair. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Gone City. (Bad car accident. I had hardware rubbing places you can't imagine)

Anyways, try this...
Just wrap the rubber part that's causing the problem. If it's the end of a rubber strap or something, just wrap the end. Also keep in mind (again from experience) that once you've rubbed an area clean of hair, and even after you've wrapped whatever was causing it, it takes a while for the hair to start growing back. You've only lessened the irritation from rubbing, not eliminated it. It comes back..... 'cept on my lower legs.... but that was fro all the nerve damage and trauma I think... another story entirely...

ProfessorSleep

Post by ProfessorSleep » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 pm

Just a thought - haven't tried it myself, but I wonder if there is some kind of night cap, hair net, or some similar thingy that could be worn under the Aura? I had trouble with it getting tangled in my hair sometimes, and not wanting to stay put. Something that would protect the hair and also give the "headrest" something to cling to? I'd be willing to give that a try again. Maybe I should go hang out in the hairnet area of the drugstore? (ohmigosh! First it was pantyhose. Now hairnets??? )

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:27 pm

How about trying rested gal's decontstructed Aura?

Click on this:

Aura Lite - solution to hair breaking or thinning

Tash

Post by Tash » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:34 pm

Colo. Jan - I will get it checked out if the spot gets any bigger, I have my hubby keeping tabs on it.... I wrapped the portion of the headgear that I think is rubbing and will keep my fingers crossed.

Yardbird,
Sounds like quite an accident, are you all recovered now? Thanks for the info related to hair rubbing off, I am sure hoping that is what is going on. I did wrap the headgear with first aid tape, hope that helps.

Prof. Sleep,
I tried a hair net like (more clothlike, thin nylon) cap that they use at my hubby's work, except it was so slick I woke up in the middle of the night with my mask and hair net off. (First time ever...) I will be investigating other net like possibilities as well, let me know if you find a good one first, K?

Guest,
I have been very interested in trying RG's deconstructed Aura, but will have to hold off for a while, as this is my ONLY mask. As soon as I at least have a back up, then I will start getting a little more creative. For now, I will hope it's just rubbing, and that the wrap job will stop the damage.

All - thanks for the great ideas, and for the heads up (no pun intended0 regarding other possible issues (alopecia...) I will let you know what develops.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

CuriousGeorge

Re: A bald spot ?

Post by CuriousGeorge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:54 am

Hello

Was there ever any update regarding this? I'm interested to hear the outcome...