Back-up machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
UMTerp

Back-up machine?

Post by UMTerp » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:39 am

Do most people buy a back-up machine? Would my DME supply me with a loaner if I had a problem since my machine is only a month old?

TIA,

UMTerp

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Back-up machine?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:19 am

If they sold the original, they ought to!
If they are jerks, they might not anyway.
Since they are usually not open on weekends, (when things break) a backup is always a good idea.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 am

You should call your DME and ask them. 'what happens if at 10 pm I go to bed and my machine does not work?" I actually did exactly that yesterday. They told me (Lincare) a long run around story that amounted to; yea, we will take care of it, and I'm sure they would, eventually. I want to know that I would have a machine THAT NIGHT.
When I pressed Lincare, they say their Resp. therapist would bring one to my house the same day. Since I don't have the nerve to expect the nice RT to leave his house at any hour of the night (he's the only one I trust there) I am getting a back up machine.
I started cpap almost a yr ago, and am just getting a back up. Peace of mind is a good thing.

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:03 am

Yea most have a back-up or one we travel with etc.....

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

yippeekia

Post by yippeekia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:08 am

I have a back-up. I just waited until I found a used one at a reasonable price. It is nice to have for travel too. I got the same model so parts were interchangeable.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:47 am

I didn't get a backup machine until a 3-week trip to Europe couple of years ago. Prior to that, I had just taken my home cpap with me when I traveled. When that longer trip came along, I felt like I needed to use a backup for the trip in case it got broken in travel, or stolen, etc., so that I'd still have my home cpap undamaged. And if my home cpap broke, I'd have the backup to use while I decided what to do about the broken one. So got a "gently-used" backup (with a warranty) just like my home machine from secondwindcpap. Now I use that one while traveling. This plan been working well for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Insurance companies will not (AFAIK) cover a backup machine.
I guess none of the bean counters have ever had a visit from Mrs. Murphy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:01 pm

UMTerp wrote:Do most people buy a back-up machine? Would my DME supply me with a loaner if I had a problem since my machine is only a month old?

TIA,

UMTerp
Do you drive a vehicle? Does it have a spare tire? Same basic principle.

As was previously mentioned, if your machine didn't work just before you were going to bed or something happened during the night, I highly doubt that your DME would rush a loaner to your dwelling.
Now, AAA may take care of your flat tire situation, but don't count on the DME to do the same.
Spare/backup, lightly used machines are abundantly available from many sources and they're very cost effective. In some cases, downright "CHEAP".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I went for over a year without a backup CPAP machine then found a good one from member STLmark... I subsequently snapped it up a good price and he shipped it out right away. A week after I got it via UPS, my main machine conked out and needed repairs. Luckily I had my backup ready to go while my main machine was out for repair (for nearly a month in Florida!!!). Scary stuff but luckily I came out missing zero nights of therapy. Even a crappy old CPAP backup machine is better than nothing at all.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:40 am

Oh yeah, I forgot the most important part
Sometimes on this forum, if you ask the members, quite often somebody will give you for free an older machine rather than just recycle or trash it. Typically you would offer the cost of shipping. Generally no insurance needed. Hey, It never hurts to ask.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:38 am

Totally up to you. My brother went 8 years without a backup bipap. Has a new machine now and he is keeping his old machine as a backup. While it is an automachine, it gives no useful info.

As to DME, it actually depends on the office. There appears to be no consistent policy between DMEs or even larger DMEs and their offices regarding loaners. Some offer loaners, some charge for loaners, some offer no loaners at all. I could go on with the variations. Your BEST bet is to ask YOUR office what their policy is, with the understanding that this can change when there is a management change.

I bought a used machine originally because I couldn't wait any longer for the Medicare provided machine. Unfortunately, that machine appeared to have been damaged in shipping and the seller took it back. I'm still looking for a backup. If you get and keep a copy of your prescription, even if you choose to do without a backup, you have the option of getting a cpap or bipap immediately from any of the online cpap suppliers.

As I typed this, it also occurred to me that if you want a very low cost backup, figure out what your best SINGLE pressure is. There are a lot of barely used machines offered on Craigslist that are bricks with one pressure. That could certainly keep you going should you have to send your machine out for repair or forget it at Aunt Heather's 800 miles away. I would actually consider that, but I want an Auto-machine so I can try it on my Mom (who refuses to get a sleep study). I think once she figures out that it is relatively comfortable, she will then use one (and maybe do a home study).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:23 pm

It took me a couple of years to getting around to buying a spare machine. I found one better than my original one, which is now my backup.

Once I got a spare I realized it gave me a lot of peace of mind.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke