Asleep at the wheel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Asleep at the wheel

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:59 pm

I saw an article in one of the local online newspapers tonight which made me think about some of the posts we get here from time to time. One of them was about how to "cheat" on a sleep study. Others have had to do with people giving up on their therapy, selling their equipment and proclaiming that they can't tolerate the therapy or have lost some weight and now are "cured". Some have had to do with commercial drivers (CDL) licenses.
So, I decided to do a Google search on "driver fell asleep and killed" to see what would come up. It's rather eye-opening.
Here's the local link and article and the Google search link.
Just something to think about for anyone who doesn't take this therapy seriously.
Can we blame them all on Sleep Apnea? I don't know the answer, but I suspect the probability may be fairly high.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/crime/w ... 6c176.html

Widow of man killed by trucker asleep at wheel files lawsuit

ROCK SPRINGS — The widow of a man whose husband died after a truck driver fell asleep at the wheel and struck him in southern Wyoming is suing for wrongful death.
Katsiaryna Krauchanka has filed a complaint against the driver, the company he worked for, the owners of the trucking company and FedEx Freight Inc.
Aleksandr Kozak was killed last April on the shoulder of Interstate 80 after Edward Barrowes fell asleep at the wheel. Barrowes was sentenced to 14 to 18 years in prison.
Krauchanka's complaint claims that Barrowes was not fit to drive and that his employer, C&M Star Corp., and the owners knew he was unfit. The complaint also states FedEx chose to hire C&M despite their safety rating.

https://www.google.com/search?q=driver+ ... 8&oe=utf-8

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sonnyboy

Re: Asleep at the wheel

Post by Sonnyboy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 am

Wulfman... wrote:I saw an article in one of the local online newspapers tonight which made me think about some of the posts we get here from time to time. One of them was about how to "cheat" on a sleep study. Others have had to do with people giving up on their therapy, selling their equipment and proclaiming that they can't tolerate the therapy or have lost some weight and now are "cured". Some have had to do with commercial drivers (CDL) licenses.
So, I decided to do a Google search on "driver fell asleep and killed" to see what would come up. It's rather eye-opening.
Here's the local link and article and the Google search link.
Just something to think about for anyone who doesn't take this therapy seriously.
Can we blame them all on Sleep Apnea? I don't know the answer, but I suspect the probability may be fairly high.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/crime/w ... 6c176.html

Widow of man killed by trucker asleep at wheel files lawsuit

ROCK SPRINGS — The widow of a man whose husband died after a truck driver fell asleep at the wheel and struck him in southern Wyoming is suing for wrongful death.
Katsiaryna Krauchanka has filed a complaint against the driver, the company he worked for, the owners of the trucking company and FedEx Freight Inc.
Aleksandr Kozak was killed last April on the shoulder of Interstate 80 after Edward Barrowes fell asleep at the wheel. Barrowes was sentenced to 14 to 18 years in prison.
Krauchanka's complaint claims that Barrowes was not fit to drive and that his employer, C&M Star Corp., and the owners knew he was unfit. The complaint also states FedEx chose to hire C&M despite their safety rating.

https://www.google.com/search?q=driver+ ... 8&oe=utf-8

Den

Just heard on the news the other day that some of the drivers of the new cars that drive for you are having problems staying awake.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 am

Tracy Morgan survived a deadly crash that was likely the result of someone asleep at the wheel.
Coincidentally, I was told that Wal-Mart's health insurance did not cover cpaps.
(At least, a couple years ago, it did not). Financially, it may have been a wash; but human life is priceless.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 am

I used to drive sleepy, now that I am treated, I know longer get sleepy at the wheel. I know longer drive much, under 1500 miles a year. I do know for a fact, if I am driving at high speed 75 mph, I am much more aleart and safer. At 60 mph I have the eurge to open the drivers door and step out and walk along besides my truck. The high speed keeps me engaged and the adrenaline flowing. Jim

Years ago, 80's at work I was driving 1,000 horse power coal trucks over our private road system at 35 mph, I'd fall asleep about 200 yards at a time, then a bump would jolt us awake, after three or four times we were good to go the rest of the night. Never ran off the road in my life. As I said no more, don't hardly ever drive at night anymore.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 am

When I was brand new here a forum member asked me to please not drive. He had recently lost his wife, who fell asleep driving home after work - just a short distance from making it home. He made an impact on me. I once fell asleep around the corner from home and missed a truck by inches. I voluntarily curtailed my driving. I am just thankful I didn't harm anyone before I came to my senses and stopped putting my convenience over the safety of the innocent.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 am

Well, I'm so used to CPAP that there's no way I could fall asleep without it.

Actually, it's probably not that clearcut. I could probably get sleepy enough to be dangerous at the wheel. Or maybe get a micronap.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

betam4x

Post by betam4x » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 am

My wife used to have this issue before she got her CPAP. She still does occasionally have issues despite being fully treated. She has gotten a lot better though, and recently drove our 3 kids 14 hours from NJ to TN when we moved. I have severe CSA, and yet I never had issues falling asleep while driving...so it's not necessarily an indicator of whether you have SA or not. You also have the people that just push it too hard. In my early 20s I would work 50-70 hours a week at 2 physically demanding jobs. Luckily the jobs were both within walking distance of each other and my apartment, so i never had to drive.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:00 pm

I drove to work for 24 years, only that last three on cpap.
I took all the rat runs I could find in order to avoid traffic.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:09 pm

I lost a nephew to a sleeping semi driver and it put my brother and wife and other child in the hospital. He drove into the back of a RV with the family in it.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I am out of work on medical leave ( my choice) because I was being active in my treatment and was so tired that I could not take it anymore. The wake up call was almost falling asleep while dry my son to school. I went to the doctor right then and said I cannot continue on this path. I did not care that my numbers were well under what is considered treated. I knew something was right. I had to go from Cpap to Bipap and I became very involved in my treatment to the point I told my told if he could not deal with it I would find another doctor. I know my boy better than him. I just wish I had not let it get that far. So please for your health, safety and the safety of others get involved and don't take no crap. No human life is worth it.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:35 pm

I fell asleep at a stoplight--just for a second--the day after Christmas 2010. The next day, I made an appointment with my doctor, which led to me getting my CPAP machine in early February.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:42 am

I would be driving down the street, and suddenly have to reorient myself;
as I did not remember driving the last two or three blocks.
I also blacked out long enough to scuff the median a couple times.
I did not trust myself on the highway. (Should not have ANYWHERE)
Neither thing has happened since being on cpap. EVER!

OSAdude76

Post by OSAdude76 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Before I was diagnosed with OSA, I remember a couple times when I was fighting to stay awake while driving. In particular, I remember driving only an hour and a half the morning after a full night's sleep and was still trying not to nod off. I thought I just wasn't used to driving very far, but now it makes much more sense. It's very dangerous indeed.
CPAP: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask: Nasal Pillows Airfit P10

bdz

Post by bdz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:40 pm

I used to talk out loud to myself...
" The light is turning yellow...slow down and get ready to stop"
"Ok..green light now...go!"
" Get in the right lane...Watch for the next turn as you have to turn right there..."

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Before cpap I fell asleep every time I sat still. It was all I could do to not stop for a nap on my way home from work, less that 25 miles. I knew I was a danger to myself and others and had no choice. I had to make this work. I can't say it was easy for me but I think determination made it easier.