Using A Cervical Collar/Contour Pillow For OSA - Edited

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mars

Using A Cervical Collar/Contour Pillow For OSA - Edited

Post by mars » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Everybody

As a few of you know I have been experimenting since last year with using a soft cervical collar to prevent my throat from closing whilst sleeping.

I sleep on my left side, and usually stay in that position all night. Sometimes one bathroom break, sometimes none. I resist trying to tuck my head into the collar, and keep my head back and chin up. For the record my sleep test indicated I had 40 events per hour.

I have an oximeter CMS-60D which I have used to alarm me if my SpO2 goes below 89, and I have also used it to record my SpO2 level whilst I am sleeping.

The soft cervical collar is as follows -

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CGwQ9QEwCA

I also claim the record for posting the longest link ever used on the Forum (check it out if you don't believe me)

My results so far have been that I can sleep with the collar on without any desaturations, unless I turn on to my back (which may be due to the pillows forcing my head forward). When checking the data after using the recording I have a nice level above SpO2 88.

Dr Park talks about the things that can vary the result, and also that not everyone can do this. He say "Unfortunately, this option works for only some people, since there are so many other variables, including how stuffy your nose is, your sleep position, weather changes, what you just ate, and how extended your neck becomes with the device in place."

And I guess that would include those who need bipaps and other special machines.

The link for Dr Park -

http://www.wellsphere.com/insomnia-slee ... ea/1350848

and an OSA patient

http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/ ... forum_disc

The questions on the patients link require you to join SleepGuide in order to see the answers.

So it is obviously necessary to test over a period of time with different variables. For myself I have discovered that sleeping on my back almost immediately produces an apneic event, however the alarm is fortunately there to wake me up, and get me back onto my left hand side. However, as this may well be due to the fact that my pillows raise my head and move it forward.

Like Owen did in the patients link above, I am hoping my Sleep Doctor will agree to a sleep test whilst I am wearing the collar. I see my Sleep Doctor in April.

I am getting better sleep with the collar, longer sleep, and fewer bathroom visits, and feel better when I get up .

I found the link to what Dr Park said by accident, but I was encouraged by what he said, as that saves me from having to go to a whole lot of trouble with data to prove it works. He says to Owen "I’m glad to hear that the collar worked for you. I’ve had a handful of patients that have reported similar results using soft and hard neck braces".

And I doubt that much more than a handful actually tried it, so I wonder what the results would be if many of us tried it ?

And Dr Park also says "This is also the principle behind how the contour pillow works—by keeping your head extended somewhat, you’re less likely to obstruct, especially when you’re in deep sleep (when your muscles relax)."

I have yet to check out the contour pillow, but now that I understand how it works (Edit - See post on page 2), I will try it.

http://www.completesleeprrr.com/

with an oximeter, of course

I think that anyone who wants to check out the soft cervical collar for themselves needs to do so with an oximeter. Initially using it with the alarm set. Then if one is confident that desaturation is not taking place, trial some nights using the recording feature, to see what the overall SpO2 level has been those nights.

I don't make any money out of this, so rest assured I am not selling anything . But for those that can make it work, it is a lot better than the machine, and a lot cheaper (a lot cheaper - like it only costs Aud$8-00), and can be used anywhere.

And maybe Dr Park, or someone else, can tell us why this isn't the first option for those diagnosed with OSA, instead of being the invisible one. And why isn't this mentioned to all those who have difficulty affording a machine, or in buying a new mask, or who simply cannot handle the cpap treatment.

I thought I was travelling down this path on my own, but now I find I am not, and I wanted to share this with you all, so that those who can benefit - have the opportunity to do so .

cheers

Mars
Last edited by mars on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

nobody

Re: Wearing A Soft Cervical Collar To Prevent Sleep Apnea

Post by nobody » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 am

Very interesting, mars. You know, for years I've been putting a stuffed animal under my chin every night to keep my head from dropping forward. I wonder if I just sort of instinctively realized it would help to sleep in that position? It also helps keep the mask from leaking.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:04 am

I have for years used one of those c-shaped neck pillows worn backwards to hold my chin up, however it is not secured and I wake up without it in place. Similar concept as Kiralynx's "brandy keg" support she uses to keep her head from falling forward. Every variable we address has potential to help our treatment. I look forward to when the variable of neck position is fully tested so there's a better understanding of who this option is most likely to help. I won't hold my breath on that being an official study since surely no CPAP company will fund it. Keep us informed on how you're doing Mars.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 am

This is very, very interesting! As you say, it will not work for everyone due to variations in anatomy, sleeping position, etc., but perhaps for people with mild-moderate sleep apnea, it's worth a try. I'm certainly intrigued.

Debbie

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for posting this. I had been thinking about this since I video recorded myself sleeping, and found that I was having desats while sleeping on my left side with my chin tucked in. My desats also do not always coorelate with flagged events in ResScan. But instead with a series of unflagged apneas.
Many of the flagged events in Rescan appear to be preceded by arousal during which my O2 actually rises. I may just be holding my breath while I turn over or rearrange bedding.

I see they are sized sm, med, large, but I also see that they are sized 2 1/2" and 3". Can you tell me where that is measured? Collarbone to jaw, chin? Or do you think it matters much.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Very interesting...

It isn't recommended because it actually makes sense.

nobody

Post by nobody » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:41 pm

I knew this topic seemed familiar:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38929&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=neck

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 pm

nobody wrote:Very interesting, mars. You know, for years I've been putting a stuffed animal under my chin every night to keep my head from dropping forward. I wonder if I just sort of instinctively realized it would help to sleep in that position? It also helps keep the mask from leaking.
That's a sweet picture : )) What kind of animal is it? I am imagining a teddy bear

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Mars, have you had a sleep study done with the collar in place to ensure you are not having regular events or central events?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 pm

I picked up one today so I will try it tonight. I think with collar, CPAP, recording oximeter and video. Then depending on the results, maybe try it without the CPAP but add the O2 alarm tomorrow night.

Gasp, that was addressed in the op.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Lizistired wrote:I picked up one today so I will try it tonight. I think with collar, CPAP, recording oximeter and video. Then depending on the results, maybe try it without the CPAP but add the O2 alarm tomorrow night.

Gasp, that was addressed in the op.

Sorry, maybe being dense here addressed in what 'op''?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm

gasp wrote:Mars, have you had a sleep study done with the collar in place to ensure you are not having regular events or central events?
"Like Owen did in the patients link above, I am hoping my Sleep Doctor will agree to a sleep test whilst I am wearing the collar. I see my Sleep Doctor in April."

mars

Post by mars » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 am

Hi Everybody

I still have not been able to sleep on my back without the desaturation oximeter alarm going off, but as I can easily sleep on my side with the soft cervical collar, that probably is not too important. However, it is important I sleep on my side to minimise acid reflux, as I cannot tolerate any medication for that.

Whilst looking to see what might help I came across some good aids to side-sleeping, aids to which a number of Forum members have been posting about.

to prevent back sleeping -

Positioning Body Wedge Aligner

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/posit ... w_more.php

Side Sleeper Pillow (which is not a pillow)

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/side_ ... r_more.php

The same place also has a wedge which might help reflux sufferer's, which is different to the design of others I have seen online, in that it has an edge at the lower end, thereby making it less likely that one would slide off -

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/bed_wedge_more.php

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:06 am

The collar worked well last night. I don't feel like I tossed and turned as much. My O2 stayed above 90 all night. I had one flagged 15 second OA in 6.6 hours of sleep and I feel noticeably better today!

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 am

Well I got one at the store but found it too uncomfortable to wear.