s9 auto set Will normal cpap script be good for the s9 ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DannyPh

s9 auto set Will normal cpap script be good for the s9 ?

Post by DannyPh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I am eligible for a new cpap maching in October. My question is will my current script be good enough for me to purchase the s9 autoset or should i be working with my Pcp to obtainn the script for the s9 auto set ? Thank you

Xney

Re: s9 auto set Will normal cpap script be good for the s9 ?

Post by Xney » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm

If you want an autoset, I would have your doctor write a prescription that specifies you need to be able to access your data, and mask of your choice, etc.

Some DMEs will work with you and be on your side and get it if you specify it (or suggest it!) - it just depends on the DME.

Edit: by data I don't mean "compliance" data which is summary, but details about each night. Compliance data is pretty useless (what you see on the machine when you look at the LCD)

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a very good DME---easy to work with--Been using the same DME for five years now with no Complaints. Guess I should call them and Inquire about the s9 autoset. Thank you

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Sounds like a plan. If they are square with you, they could be a keeper--I'm jealous!

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Technically a prescription that specifies "CPAP" allows an APAP to be supplied/purchased. Whether or not your insurance will allow it is another thing.

Jim

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm

if you/Dr want an S9 Autoset Dr will need to write script for APAP ResMed S-9, with certain pressure range (like 6-12 cM) and Dr can specify machine must be fully data-capable, not just compliance capable.

Good luck. I have AN S9 Autoset from Resmed and like it a lot. So quiet we do'nt even hear it!

Pressure 6-10 cm

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm

J-Mac wrote:Technically a prescription that specifies "CPAP" allows an APAP to be supplied/purchased. Whether or not your insurance will allow it is another thing.

Jim
While that is "technically" correct, good luck!! But it's not an insurance issue. Your insurance pays the same for either. The problem is convincing the DME, as they will be supplying a more expensive machine for the same money. If the 'script is specific, they have no argument.

Two months into CPAP, I realized (thru this board) that I had a brick. I took it to the DME and said I needed one with full data. They said my script had to specifically say that. I called my PCP from their office. He wasn't there but I dictated the verbiage to a PA. (Threw in the word "Auto" just to be contrary...instant upgrade!) Ten minutes later the fax arrived and I was on my way home with a SERIOUS machine. My insurance "rent-to-own clock" (13 mos) started over, but I got what I wanted.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:40 pm

cpap.com will sell you an APAP with an Rx for CPAP.
My insurance sees the CPAP/APAP as the same billing code on the claim that i submitted myself.
A DME will likely give you a hard time becuase they won't make as much money on the deal.
They may try and hit you with an upgrade fee.

~UB

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 pm

It depends on the integrity of your DME. My first one gave me an auto set right off the bat. My second isn't as good, gives out S9 elite. No bricks. With my insurance I have no choice for a DME but one Company.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I believe that legally, any prescription that says CPAP can legally be filled with an APAP, but not a bilevel machine.

It's often easier to get APAP if the doctor prescribes a pressure range. For instance, if he thinks you need 8, prescribe 6-10. This helps shut up the DME and insurance about dispensing a manual CPAP.

Don't let them try to slip you an S9 Escape Auto. Remember, it's S9 AutoSet, not "S9 Auto."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 pm

CPAP is synonymous with APAP as far as the Rx is concerned. As archangle mentioned this does not include BiPAP machines.

LinkC, so "technically" doesn’t cut it? It most certainly IS an insurance issue! Legally they can fill a CPAP Rx with APAP. But they won't want to spend the money for APAP. If they deny the claim it is for cost reasons only; not legal.

Jim

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Exactly!
Their bottom line comes ahead of your quality of life.
Always.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 pm

I have a good DME, they called the DR and asked for the new script themselves. If you know the machine you want the general feeling is have the RX for that machine. Have him write in humidifier and heated hose as well.....

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm

well, if My DME refuses my request for the s9 autoset i will politely inform them that i will purchase the s9 auto set from another source . Highly likely that they will return the call gicing me the s9 autoset just to make a sale

Xney

Post by Xney » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the same insurance code, so you can fill it with either.