Overnight O2 Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Randy32

Overnight O2 Study

Post by Randy32 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:55 pm

HI it seems like every time i go to my pulmonologists she schedules an over night oxometer test i see her every 3-4 months i don't have the first one but i have the last 2 one just last week the other january 10 2011
awake SPO2 was 97.0%
high SPO2 was 99.0%
low SPO2 was 88.0% time < 88% 0.1 min/ time <89% 0.5 min
Basal spo2 was 94.6%

84 total desats 9 per hr
on my cpap of 7cmh20
test length 9:34

last weeks was
awake spo2 98%
high spo2 100%
low sp02 84% time <88% 0.5 min/<89% 0.7 min
Basal spo2 95.8%

75 total desats 7 per hour
on my cpap of 7cmh20
test length 11:04

ok i know my low spo2 was not there long but i feel like my pulmy keeps looking for a reason to put me on oxygen.should i be concerned

Thanks Randy

lars4life

Re: Overnight O2 Study

Post by lars4life » Fri May 27, 2011 7:06 pm

That's not low. Mine is in the 90's 92 to 95 while awake. I live at 6,200 ft elevation, so normal is 92 - 94.
At night while sleeping, my O2 level drops and hangs around 75%. I've checked it with an Oximeter.
My doctor prescribed supplemental oxygen and I use an O2 concentrator every night and with that,
my O2 levels stay above 90%. This works for me and my AHI is always < 1.0.
So, don't get too concerned.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri May 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Without seeing you sleep data it looks like that has not yet been optimized. Do you need more pressure or to fix your mask leaks?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Randy32

Post by Randy32 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:00 pm

i had my pressure at 10 for awhile and i slept great but when i told my DR she wanted me to put it back to 7 and now i sleep like crap again my ahi went from 0.2-0.6 @ 10cmh2o to 2-3 @ 7 cmh2o

no mask leaks

Post by Guest » Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Randy32 wrote:i had my pressure at 10 for awhile and i slept great but when i told my DR she wanted me to put it back to 7 and now i sleep like crap again my ahi went from 0.2-0.6 @ 10cmh2o to 2-3 @ 7 cmh2o

no mask leaks
Why did she put it back at 7?

Put it back at 10 and sleep great again. There's got to be more to this story. Answer the question above so we know why you haven't put it back to 10 yet.

Randy32

Post by Randy32 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 am

she told me if the pressure was to high it could damage my heart.she could not figure how i would need to change the pressure with a state of the art machine.she could not understand how i came up with 10 as a pressure. i tried over a month changing the base pressure up until my ahi was going down and i was sleeping better with out creating centrals.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 am

A pressure of 10 is a fairly normal (average) pressure for most people to acheive good therapy. I don't understand why she is concerned about a pressure setting of 10 cm. It is not really very high. Did you have an overnight oximeter test while you were at a pressure of 10? It appears that the 2 times you had the oximeter test your pressure setting was 7 cm.

Do you have some heart problems that may be influencing her concern? Do your O2 levels stay good at 10 cm?

Perhaps setting the machine in auto mode with minimum at 7 cm and maximum at say 11 cm might show that 10 cm is optimal for you. Yes, you have a state of the art machine but are you using it as a straight cpap? That won't give all the info that your machine is capable of giving as you try to optimize your pressure setting.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap
Last edited by Hawthorne on Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 am

Randy32 wrote:HI it seems like every time i go to my pulmonologists she schedules an over night oxometer test i see her every 3-4 months
Randy,

I've followed your situation and you are not a typical OSA patient as you've got other, serious issues.

I also see my pulmonologist every 3-4 months and she orders an overnight oximetry before every visit. I'm already on a ventilator with oxygen, but we do the overnight before every checkup.

It isn't unusual as far as I'm concerned.

Post by Guest » Sat May 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Randy32 wrote:she told me if the pressure was to high it could damage my heart. she could not figure how i would need to change the pressure with a state of the art machine. she could not understand how i came up with 10 as a pressure.
Gee, don't you think it might be time for a second opinion?

Randy32

Post by Randy32 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Randy,

I've followed your situation and you are not a typical OSA patient as you've got other, serious issues.

I also see my pulmonologist every 3-4 months and she orders an overnight oximetry before every visit. I'm already on a ventilator with oxygen, but we do the overnight before every checkup.

she did tell me i have OAD and i also have chronic bronchitis(COPD) and along with that comes asthma i have bronchitis flare ups 3-4-5 times a year sometimes

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 am

Randy32 wrote:
Randy,

she did tell me i have OAD and i also have chronic bronchitis(COPD) and along with that comes asthma i have bronchitis flare ups 3-4-5 times a year sometimes
I'm curious why she lowered your pressure back to 7 if you were doing so well on 10. Is there some special reason she's worried about it damaging your heart? That's not something I've heard of.