Leak rate? Mfr #s vs my #s... I know I know

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ants

Leak rate? Mfr #s vs my #s... I know I know

Post by Ants » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:11 pm

So I have the headrest and @ 10 i'm supposed to be in the neighborhood of 26ish? As a leak rate. I'm at 32. But my line in the report is super super straight. If it is straight... isnt it safe to assume that there were no major leaks?

jules

Re: Leak rate? Mfr #s vs my #s... I know I know

Post by jules » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:42 pm

hi - LTNS - if the graph is flat I wouldn't worry about it - there are all kinds of things that can lead to it being not exactly as advertised - lot of the pillow (different manufacturing lots have slight differences in size of hole) as well as variation in the measuring accuracy of your machine

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:33 pm

The size of the holes in the pillow won't affect your leak rate, but variations in the vent flow from mask to mask will.

You might try a little experiment. Set your machine for straight CPAP at 10 cm H20. Attach hose and mask. Get some moldable silicone earplugs at the drugstore. Pull a piece off of the earplug, roll it into a cylinder and use it to plug one of the holes in the pillow. Do the same to the other hole.

Now start the machine. The leak rate it measures will be the vent rate for your mask at the set pressure. There's a good chance the number you will see is 32. If it is less than 32, there is a very constant leak while you are asleep.

And while you are at it check the hose and its connections for any leaks.
jeff

Ants

Post by Ants » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Hey Jules! Indeed LTNS. Do you still go into chat?

jules

Post by jules » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:40 pm

jdm2857 wrote:The size of the holes in the pillow won't affect your leak rate, but variations in the vent flow from mask to mask will.

WOW - I can get out my drill and make a bunch more holes and bigger holes and my leak rate will not change. I always learn new stuff here all the time.