Does OSA affect ability to improve cardio?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ants

Does OSA affect ability to improve cardio?

Post by Ants » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:54 pm

hey all!

I recently been diagnosed with OSA and it got me thinkin... Usually when I go to the gym around 7pm i'm tired from work. Oh yeah, I was shown to have a 11.8 AHI. So lately ive been frustrated withy lack of improvement. Could sleep apnea be to blame? I haven't purchase my cpap yet... I can't wait!

Thanks all

Ants

ozij

Re: Does OSA affect ability to improve cardio?

Post by ozij » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Ants

Post by Ants » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Sorry, but does that mean that I'm disadvantaged? When I posted I was more referring to the fact that if I were to get a good nights rest, then I could theoretically perform better. From the sounds of this, sounds like when I'm running my pathways are just more restrictive? Hence disadvantaged?

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:21 am

Ants wrote: When I posted I was more referring to the fact that if I were to get a good nights rest, then I could theoretically perform
Ants, as an endurance cyclist, for me, cpap has been a rebirth,
for my body.
I think my OSA started 6-10yrs ago. As it slowly consumed my
body and brain, my ability to recover became non-existant.
I had physicals and blood tests, tried various types of vitamin
supplements......nothing was helping. In April/May, I thought I
was dying. My doc suggested, as a last resort, let's do a sleep study.

Today, coming up on my 3mth anniversary w/cpap, I am, physically,
being reborn. As I try to explain what is happening to me,
I always say, if I wasn't living it, I don't know that I would
believe my story.

I have tested my ability to recover. I have done hard rides on
a Sat. Take care of my nutrition needs, hosed up at night,
and hammered myself on Sun. No problem.
It happens a little each day, or night, as the case maybe.
I notice it almost every ride. The ability to push a bigger gear up
a familiar hill. I'm back to doing my core workouts on my no ride days.
On Mon/Tues after a hard weekend, my legs don't ache anymore.
Yes, cpap is making difference.
I actually look forward to bed time now.
As my wife said to me the other night,
"you look forward to that mask don't you???"
I do.....because I can't wait to see how much stronger I will
be on my next ride.

All the best to you as your journey begins.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Nodzy

Post by Nodzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 am

Ants....
Yes... yes... and yes. OSA's detrimental effects are, or can be, broad and deep. Depending on the longevity and severity of OSA in one's life before getting good therapy, it can foster permanent damages to various organs, functions and metabolic processes. As well as bring on any one or more of a broad array of peripheral (seemingly detached) ailments. OSA kills by fostering premature deterioration and internal damages, and also leads to unwarranted accidents and injuries -- now well documented. How much you can improve while in good OSA therapy depends on many factors including, but not limited to; your actual therapy, nutrition, habits, stresses, your genetics and medical history etc. Achieving great therapy is a highly individual process, with many common but adjusted basics.

Lack of proper oxygenation throughout your body during sleep does surely affect your life negatively, during awake hours and during all activities.

Best wishes to you in your quest for great therapy and results.

Nodzy

Ants

Post by Ants » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 am

Wow your posts are very inspirational! I believe I've had OSA for years and according to my doc @ 11.8AHI I'm not too bad but it def impacts my life. I find that my muscles take forever to heal themselves after a work out and its a constant struggle. Approximately 10 weeks ago I could barely jog 1/4 mile before calling it quits. Now, I can do a mile (i want to quit at 1/2 mile) but I keep going till I hit a mile. I'm anxious to talk to my doctor about getting my Rx so I can begin my OSA therapy.

Thanks for your post guys

Ants

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:17 am

Ants asks...Does OSA affect ability to improve cardio?

Yes, as the above posts so well describe.

I had run many 10 ks, although at the time of my diagnosis, I couldn't have run across the street. After beginning xPAP therapy, and training for a year, I ran my first half-marathon (at the age of 58).

One other point. Not only does xPAP therapy improve one's cardio ability, but I suspect that prudent exercise improves one's positive response to PAP therapy.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:28 am

Captain_Midnight wrote: One other point. Not only does xPAP therapy improve one's cardio ability, but I suspect that prudent exercise improves one's positive response to PAP therapy.
BINGO!! .....hand in hand......

Very well said!
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

nomoore

Post by nomoore » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 am

There is no doubt that sleep apnea is affecting my cardio ability. I have tried for years to exercise regularly to help with my anxiety issues. People would tell me how much exercise helps so that's what I kept trying. I never could get into a good routine though. Even if I could exercise a couple of days or even a week in a row there would come a time when I would be totally exhausted and not even want to walk to the mailbox. I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong so I really studied up on how to improve my cardio. I bought an expensive Polaris heart rate monitor that's supposed to tell you when to recover. I figured out my target heart rate for improving cardio and stayed within it. The readings just didn't make sense. It would tell me I needed to recover when I hadn't exercised in days. Some days it was a fast walk to get me into my target heart rate. Some days I could run for three miles.

Now that I've been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea it all makes sense. I am waiting anxiously for my CPAP machine to start treatment. I want to see what this body can do. After years of sleep apnea I'm good at pushing myself to my limits.

Ants

Post by Ants » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:14 am

nomoore wrote:There is no doubt that sleep apnea is affecting my cardio ability. I have tried for years to exercise regularly to help with my anxiety issues. People would tell me how much exercise helps so that's what I kept trying. I never could get into a good routine though. Even if I could exercise a couple of days or even a week in a row there would come a time when I would be totally exhausted and not even want to walk to the mailbox. I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong so I really studied up on how to improve my cardio. I bought an expensive Polaris heart rate monitor that's supposed to tell you when to recover. I figured out my target heart rate for improving cardio and stayed within it. The readings just didn't make sense. It would tell me I needed to recover when I hadn't exercised in days. Some days it was a fast walk to get me into my target heart rate. Some days I could run for three miles.

Now that I've been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea it all makes sense. I am waiting anxiously for my CPAP machine to start treatment. I want to see what this body can do. After years of sleep apnea I'm good at pushing myself to my limits.
Nomooore you sound JUST LIKE ME....and we're even in the same city! Did you go to Dr Duhon?

nomoore

Post by nomoore » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:17 pm

I think my sleep doctor is affiliated with the sleep lab somehow. My regular doctor (Bristol, Wells Branch Medical) referred me to Global Sleep to get tested and for the titration. I don't remember what doctor's name is on the results sheet but I haven't met the sleep doc. Everything has been through Dr. Bristol. I'm just waiting on the CPAP now. Global Sleep hasn't been the fastest in the world but I don't see that as being out of the ordinary from what I'm seeing here.

Ants

Post by Ants » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:10 pm

I just went to the Dr's office and picked up my Rx...it's finally time to do something about OSA.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Ants wrote: ........... I find that my muscles take forever to heal themselves after a work out and its a constant struggle. Approximately 10 weeks ago I could barely jog 1/4 mile before calling it quits. Now, I can do a mile (i want to quit at 1/2 mile) but I keep going till I hit a mile. ........
Definitely the same situation for me. I do free weights and aerobic training and no matter how much I exercised there was no improvement in physical conditioning before cpap treatment.

Weight lifters say lifting does not build muscle. Sleep and nourishment build muscle. I think the same is true of cardio conditioning. If you don't sleep, you don't improve.

Go at it with cpap.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Ants

Post by Ants » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:29 pm

rooster wrote:
Ants wrote: ........... I find that my muscles take forever to heal themselves after a work out and its a constant struggle. Approximately 10 weeks ago I could barely jog 1/4 mile before calling it quits. Now, I can do a mile (i want to quit at 1/2 mile) but I keep going till I hit a mile. ........
Definitely the same situation for me. I do free weights and aerobic training and no matter how much I exercised there was no improvement in physical conditioning before cpap treatment.

Weight lifters say lifting does not build muscle. Sleep and nourishment build muscle. I think the same is true of cardio conditioning. If you don't sleep, you don't improve.

Go at it with cpap.
Rooster, how long have you been on xPAP? I also do weight lifting although my improvements in that department seems quite good. I'm beginning my quest for my first xpap right now.