Anyone getting conflicting info from Medicare?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dllfo

Anyone getting conflicting info from Medicare?

Post by dllfo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 pm

I have had a couple of conversations with Medicare and was told one thing, then when my two DMEs talk to me, they said they were told another answer.

I am trying to figure out a way to reach upper Medicare mgt so I can find out what the truth is. I don't think anyone is being lied to, but I do think some people at Medicare are poorly trained.

On one occasion I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold. A lady came on, gave me her name and I asked her if she was a supervisor. She said she was. Later, another person at Medicare said she was wrong and that she was not even a supervisor.

My only solution at this time is to file a Congressional Complaint to my Senator and let Medicare do a conference call with me, my DMEs and my Senator's office. Otherwise, it becomes he said, she said.

My problem is that this is stressful and I am trying really hard to cut back on my stress.

Anyone found an easy solution? Or one certain department to ask for?

Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.

dream_weaver

Post by dream_weaver » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi:

http://www.medicare.org is a huge site with all kinds of information. Try searching there.

OR call your local Social Security office and ask for a supervisor. They wont know anything about coverage, billing etc, but they may be able to link you with phone number. Dont forget to mention that you are about to contact your congressman.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:21 pm

You give no clue what you are conflicted about? But yea w/internet I can usually find the source documents to read for myself.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

KansasRT

Post by KansasRT » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:15 am

We always make sure to do three way calls with medicare with the patient to make sure that everyone is on the same page. It gets everything out in the open. We also confront medicare about their inconsistancies.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 am

Unfortunately, not all local DME suppliers are as forthright and caring as KansasRT.

I've encountered a local DME RT who was either less than truthful OR really ignorant of Medicare benefits. More than once I was told "Medicare won't pay for ...." until I PROVED Medicare WOULD pay for .... by printing out the necessary info and handing it to her w/a smile. Needless to say I switched DME suppliers as soon as the contract w/them was completed!!! I never have understood the aversion to a simple "I don't know" except that they don't want to go the next step which is "but I will do my best to find the answer".

My current local DME supplier seems to pretty much know the answers I've asked so far and hasn't been afraid to on one occasion say "I don't know" which they followed up the next day w/a phone call and the correct answer. (I double checked for the answer myself).

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

KansasRT

Post by KansasRT » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:36 am

No one person can have all the answers when it comes to any insurance. I always respect people who can admit that they don't know all the answers. I think that part of the problem with stupid DME's is that they don't know the answers, but they make up answers. Which is what makes them look stupid, or like liars giving out misinformation. I can also say that just like dlfo discovered, you can get different answers from whoever answers the phone at an insurance company. I ask for most things in writing. Most insurance companies will oblige. This can save trouble in the long run.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 am

A word from the wise. Thanks, KansasRT. And another hint: when you do have a phone conversation w/a benefits rep, Medicare, insurance company; make a note of date, who initiated the call, rep's name, time of call and what was said.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.