New Respironics AutoPAP Coming? Or Already Out?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
J-Mac

New Respironics AutoPAP Coming? Or Already Out?

Post by J-Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

I ask because I have been looking to replace my M-Series machine, most likely with a new PR System One setup. I've been procrastinating, mainly because my M-Series is still working and new machines aren't exactly cheap! However I just decided I really need to break down and just do it. So I looked at cpap.com and they have the PR Sys One on sale with the as leader,

"While Supplies Last: The PR System One Auto + Humidifier. Get the top rated PR System One Auto with humidifier at its all time lowest price: ..."

That sentence seems to imply that the PR System One isn't long for this world, doesn’t it? "While supplies last"? I wouldn’t expect to see that unless they were dumping their stock to make room for a new model. So... do I get the PR Sys One now at a great price? Or is something new and improved and amazing and loaded with alien technology or something coming out soon? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Jim

Diablode

Re: New Respironics AutoPAP Coming? Or Already Out?

Post by Diablode » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 pm

I don't see specifically the sale you mentioned but the 60 series just came out in March I think: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... -tube.html
They might be referring to 50 series they want to get rid of perhaps?

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 am

Hmm, nothing refers to this machine as "Series 50" specifically that I can see. However I do see the newer Series 60 now at a higher price.

I received an email from cpap.com yesterday (7/13) at 11:05 am with the subject of "Brand New Masks: The Amara and Pilairo". Down near the bottom of that message is this bit about the PR System One:

So I clicked on it and it showed me this page: https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... -flex.html (Actually it took me to that page with a referrer link showing my email address, but this is the base page without the referrer info.)

So I guess this is a clearing out of their Series 50 stock since they will surely be pushing the Series 60 now. OK, I must now try to decipher the differences, new features, etc. and see whether or not the newer model is indeed worth the additional $74.00. Which doesn’t sound all that much more; at first glance, $669 vs. $595 looked like a lot more; though since I am bearing the whole cost I guess it ain't hay!

Anyone know of the major differences, improvements, etc. right off the bat?

Thanks Diablode for your help!

Jim

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:48 am

J-Mac wrote:Hmm, nothing refers to this machine as "Series 50" specifically that I can see. However I do see the newer Series 60 now at a higher price.

I received an email from cpap.com yesterday (7/13) at 11:05 am with the subject of "Brand New Masks: The Amara and Pilairo". Down near the bottom of that message is this bit about the PR System One:

Yes this is the series 50 System One. It's a very nice machine and Sleepy Head works well for analyzing the data.
Anyone know of the major differences, improvements, etc. right off the bat?
The two big differences that I am aware of between the Series 50 and Series 60 System Ones are these:

1) The Series 60 has an optional heated hose that requires a series 60 humidifier; the Series 50 machine has no heated hose option, but a third party heated hose (like the Aussie Hose) can be used if a heated hose is desired.

2) Neither Encore Viewer 2.0 nor SleepHead can read the data from the Series 60 System One machines. You need Encore Pro 2.8 or Encore Basic to read the data on a computer. JediMark is aware of this problem and I believe he's working on it. PR intends to release a new version of Encore Viewer sometime that will be able to read the data.

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 am

Thank you robysue!

I really doubt that I would use the heated hose. I've read where some love it and some don’t. I haven't had any problem using heated humidifiers without heated hoses in 13 years of CPAP therapy, so I can do without. And if I ever decide that I do want one I can always get the third party hose as you mentioned.

I also noticed that there is presently no DC power cord available for the Series 60 - Respironics says "We're working on it". Kinda shabby there.

Having to get a new version of the Viewer would be another expense I don’t need. I already have 2.4 but it's 32-bit and my current computer is 64-bit, so I've been using Encore Viewer. However I would love to try Sleepyhead. I currently am using the M-Series, which can't use Sleepyhead. As far as Respironics releasing a new version of the Viewer "sometime", that doesn’t sound promising. Their record of making Encore software available to consumers/users of their machines has been abysmal to date.

Thus far the Series 50 is looking like the one.

Thanks again!

Jim

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am

Doggone!

So I went ahead and purchased the Series 50 along with a new mask, filters, etc. And after I complete the purchase and try to close the page, a "Virtual Agent" chat box opens and offers me a discount on the Series 50! I typed in that I had just purchased it and it came back with "Oh, then sorry" along with something about how I no longer qualify because the system is no longer in my shopping cart. Of course it was no longer in my shopping cart! I'm sorry, but that's downright cruel! (Guess I was moving too quick for the "Virtual Agent")

Thanks all for the advice.

Jim

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 am

get on the phone to customer service to make sure you're not missing something.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:48 am

Great - I received the email receipt a few minutes ago and almost immediately I received another email telling my that one of the items I ordered is on back order - the PR System One machine, naturally. Why send me an email on Friday listing a machine they didn't have in stock on Saturday morning?

So anyway, my order is on hold till they can find one to send to me. If Respironics is pushing the 60 Series machines I wonder if they'll be able to get the 50 Series machine?

Jim

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 pm

i'm sure they have a source or they wouldn't be advertising a specific discounted price. they are probably using good business sense and ordering from their source as orders come in. actually their contract with pr probably prohibits them from actually stocking the 50 series once the big switch was made to the 60 series. my wife and i each have a 50 series. your delay will be worth it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990