Problems with ResMed humidifier tank on new machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Emmy1

Problems with ResMed humidifier tank on new machines?

Post by Emmy1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 pm

My dealer says I can choose between the Resperonics, Resmed or Fisher Paykal machines, (I want a data capable machine). I was going to try the Resmed for a few nights before I decide. I've been using a Resperonics machine during my titration study and I prefer the C-flex+ setting. She wanted me to try the Resmed before I decide which one I want to buy.

However, this week she's had 3 customers who recently purchased a Resmed S9 machine, that have developed problems with the humidity tank popping out or popping open during the night. She can't even loan me one as all her spares are out on loan while these machines are being serviced.

Not having used this machine I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but she warned me not to buy one right now, and recommended that I go with the Resperonics instead.

Has anyone else heard of this issue or had this issue with the Resmed machines?

I'm in Canada, so it might be a local issue. Please let me know if you have experienced this or heard of anyone else who has.

Slartybartfast

Re: Problems with ResMed humidifier tank on new machines?

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

The latch on the humidifier chamber is a little persnickety. While closing it, if you don't really hold the lid closed and listen for an audible "click," the latch might suddenly spring open releasing pressure in the system, which makes a sound like a jet taking off. Many of us have issues with that latch. It's poorly designed. Doesn't hold well and takes two hands to open it, which is irritating. However, I'd really be surprised if Resmed doesn't introduce a fix soon.

That minor issue aside, don't sell the S9 short. It's no coincidence it's such a popular seller.

Emmy1

Post by Emmy1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

That sounds like the issue she was describing. She also said the humidity tank is rather fragile compared to the Resperonics unit, in addition to this popping open.

Do you find the Resmed durable other than this issue? As I have no insurance, I have to make sure I buy a machine that will last and be trouble free.

Thanks for any input,
Emmy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Too bad you can't at least try the ResMed. Can you hold them off a bit longer till they get more stock in?
Actually both machines are excellent. The C FLex in the Respironics machine is not quite the same as EPR in ResMed machines.
They are both exhale relief but each goes about it in a slightly different way. I mention this only because you say you like the CFlex.
It is a comfort feature and it may not be a huge thing for you.

Regarding quality. Each one has had a few little quirks to sort out. Both are still great machines. You will find that the ResMed users pretty much say theirs is best and Respironics users will say theirs is the best. It all boils down to what works best for you.
Which makes it really nice if you could actually test the other so you will know what you like the best.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Emmy1

Post by Emmy1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 am

Last edited by Emmy1 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 am

Slartybartfast wrote: Doesn't hold well and takes two hands to open it, which is irritating.
I don't have any problems opening or closing it with one hand, and the design is fine as far as I'm concerned

Cheers,

Bill

stripboat99

Post by stripboat99 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 am

I tried 'em both, I started with a Resmed S9 Escape and had it for the month that it took to get back in to the sleep Dr. for a script for a data capable machine. The only data capable machine that the DME would then give me was the Respironics Remstar Pro Cflex+. The Respironics felt like it was "hurrying" my inhalation, I lasted a week on it until I found an unused Resmed S9 Auto on Craigslist. No issues with the humidifier lock if you make sure it "clicks" when you shut it, and yes - it can ba a pain to open...........

Emmy1

Post by Emmy1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:15 pm

My husband is at the provider right now picking up a ResMed for me to try. I can't wait to compare it to the PR System One that I was using up till now. (I'm still stuck in the house because of a hip/back injury, using my wheelchair fulltime this past month. So I can't even get to the office to see the machines and compare them. I'm supposed to buy my own now, but its been delayed until I can get out. The provider won't come to the house, I asked).

By the way, Phillips Responics now have a backlit display, which will be a big improvement over the previously hard to see display. I'll want to see that before I make my final decision on which CPAP to go with.

Now that both machines have a backlit display, I think the main deciding factors will be how comfortable it is -- which exhale relief will I like best, or will I even notice a difference?

And which humidifier will work best for me. I have a dry mouth all the time while hooked up, even with the Resperonics machine set to 5, the highest humidity. There isn't any rainout, so its not that. I'm hoping the ResMed machine will provide better relief, because I really need it. If it does, I'll go with that machine, provided everything else is equal.

The provider is going to charge me an extra $100 if I decide to go with the C-flex+ machine, or will charge me extra for the climate control hose if I decide to go with the ResMed machine instead.

I will post a comparison if I get time later in the week.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I used to have a very dry nose even with a humidifier. The solution that I found was a whole house humidifier. It greatly eased the burden on my humidifier and I don't have any dryness.

If your bedroom is very dry, though, the H5i's tank may be too small to last a night, because it can definitely provide a lot of humidity.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

Emmy1

Post by Emmy1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes, I was thinking that I should keep a bottle of water handy to refill it partway through the night. I can't add a room humidifier because we get condensation on the windows if the humidity is any higher. I do hope that the Resmed machine will be better. I'll know in a few nights.

Day 4:
I've been the ResMed machine for a few nights now and find several drawbacks:

Its harder to access the info I want on screen. I have trouble getting into the AHI info, etc.

The tank runs dry every night, even though I've turned the humidity setting down lower than I want.

The lid does pop open if you don't push down HARD on the top. Its something I have to be aware of.

When filled to the line, the machine blows water into the mask. I'm not talking about it being over filled. Even slightly below the fill line it still blows water into the mask. I have to underfill it. This is a real problem, as it runs out of water way too fast already. This just adds to the problem and can potentially damage the electronics.

The only real positive of this machine is the quiet. It IS quieter than the trial machine I had from Phillips Resperonics. However, the PR homepage claims that their newer models are now quieter, and the screen is now backlit, so its easier to read the settings and info.
Put together with the drybox chamber that protects the electronics, the seemingly higher capacity of the water chamber, the better navigation, and more reliable latching of the lid, and overall sturdiness of the machine, the PR seems to be a better machine.

I'm going to ask my dealer to let me have a look at the newer model PR machine, and I'll probably end up buying one. Since I can't get into town yet, I have a few more days to evaluate the ResMed machine but I doubt that my opinion of it will improve. I'm very disappointed with it. Yes, its more appealing to the eyes, but what's important here is the treatment.
Last edited by Emmy1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Emmy1,

I've had my S9 for almost a month now and I've not had any problems with the humidifier chamber at all. Easy to open and close, heck of a quiet machine. The most noise I hear now is from the vents on my mask.The lights inside the chamber are kind of cool as well . My first machine was the M Series CPAP, and then I got the APAP. There is a difference in how the CFLEX/AFLEX/EPR works between them, but I was able to adjust with no problem.

Just my 2 cents.

David

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:55 pm

If you are having a dry mouth with your humidifier turned up to 5 you are mouth breathing--even in a FF mask this can happen. It's not the humidifer.

Another difference to consider in the ResMEd vs. Respironics debate is how much info is available on the screen of the ResMed. To get that same level of detail from the Respironics you have to purchase the software and download the data. So ResMed gets a lot of points for that! It's not a deal breaker becuase you CAN get very detailed info from the REspironics machine, but you have to work a lot harder to get it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

billbolton wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote: Doesn't hold well and takes two hands to open it, which is irritating.
I don't have any problems opening or closing it with one hand, and the design is fine as far as I'm concerned

Cheers,

Bill
What I was describing is the necessity to push in the lid release button with one finger, which releases it, but then you need to hold the button in while you get your fingernails into the crack between the lid and the case and open it part way before releasing the latch, or it will re-lock. Hence, two hands.

Maybe mine is odd.