quattro FX leaks around eyes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Susan O

quattro FX leaks around eyes

Post by Susan O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi, I would like suggestions please. My new Quattro FX seems to work well, my pressure is at 11. When the machine ramps up it's fine until it gets to 11, then leaks a little around my eyes. I woke up this morning with dry eyes. Of course I tried adjusting straps every which way, taking the mask off, putting it back on etc.... Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm new to this,

LinkC

Re: quattro FX leaks around eyes

Post by LinkC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 pm

If you have exhausted all adjustments, the two remaining possibilities are 1. wrong size; or 2. The Quattro isn't a good match to your facial contours.

Many times unresolvable leaks at the eyes indicate the mask is too large.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't disagree with Link, but there are two things to rule out first:

1. Have you tried adjusting your mask at your maximum pressure? If you have a fancy ResMed you can use the "mask fit" feature to do this. If you're like the rest of us without that particular feature, set your machine to blow straight CPAP mode at 11 and THEN adjust your mask.

2. See my signature for "Taming the Mirage Quattro". I know you're talking about the FX, not the quattro, but the concept is the same. The double air cushion, particularly around the top of the nose, must be fully inflated to keep that area sealed. So my suggestion is to hold the mask in the "swing position", TURN ON THE MACHINE, and then lower the mask into place and adjust the straps loosely at the top. That will ensure that cushion is fully inflated. Don't thwart that inflation by cinching the mask down hard in the nose area--it should be fairly loose to keep the cushion full of air.

If these don't work, then you may need another size. But that may take several days. Meanwhile you can pick up a pack of Mack's SILICONE ear plugs (NOT wax). These are soft and moldable like clay, and you can press that against the outside of the cushion to try to seal off the leak.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sol

Post by sol » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:13 pm

I have stopped using Quattro FX as it leaks around my eyes and kept waking me up ,have tried size M and L it did not make any difference ,the M size seem to be small and the L size big.
Last edited by sol on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I now have and use the Quattro FX FFM. One thing about the Quattro FX is that it tends to ride up my nose. When it does so, it will often leak into my eyes. I find that if I properly position it lower on my nose, and with the headgear properly tightened, it is not so bad about that. But it did take a few days to get used to this mask.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:32 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:I now have and use the Quattro FX FFM. One thing about the Quattro FX is that it tends to ride up my nose. When it does so, it will often leak into my eyes. I find that if I properly position it lower on my nose, and with the headgear properly tightened, it is not so bad about that. But it did take a few days to get used to this mask.
Can you explain about the headgear properly tightened? How tight are you keeping the upper and lower straps? Are you strapping it with the blower on or off?

We need you on this thread!

viewtopic/t59062/Quattro-FX--Please-pos ... on-it.html
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:59 pm

I'll do the best that I can... But remember that my circumstances are a bit strange. Due to the high pressure surges, I need to have the mask tighter than most people. And yes, I'll also post over in that other thread.

First a disclaimer. As I mention, due to my ASV machine, I need my masks tighter than I recommend for most people. So what works for me may not for others.

Next, also be aware that my head is on the extra large size. Literally. I wish I could say it's because there is more in there. I think it's just because I have a thicker skull. Just ask my wife or kids!

But it does impact how I adjust a mask. I start by letting out the mask to the very end of its reach.

Then I put the mask on. Follow the printed guide by placing the nose first and the "swing" the mask onto the face. And I allow the machine to start before I start adjusting the mask.

Next, I "scootch" the top of the the mask down below where my glasses go. If it's up higher, it leaks. If it's down lower it presses against my face and cuts off my sinuses.

Then I adjusted the straps to the loop that goes over the top of the head and the top strap fit me rather like a yamaka. In other words my bald spot is surrounded by the top strap and the part that goes over my head.

The lower strap I pull down so the strap comes up under my jaw up to the mask.

The nuisance of this arrangement is that the top strap comes even with my eyes. I can not watch TV or read with this mask, because of that. But it is much more comfortable than the Quattro with the head piece.

Like I say, I need mine to be a bit tighter than I would normally recommend. When I have a central apnea, my ASV machine ramps the pressure upto 25cm H2O, which blows out just about any seal if the mask is not tight. But this way, I do not have the head piece buried in my forhead. It literally left indentations that lasted most of the day.

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński