Suggestions for a the best Nasal Pillow/Chin Strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kahfree

Suggestions for a the best Nasal Pillow/Chin Strap

Post by Kahfree » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I have switched to a nasal pillow from a full face mask and love it. I do so much better. My numbers are all down and the last 5 nights my AHI were all below 5.0, and one night, it was 0.3! My leak is 30 and below, but my problem is that the head gear on my OptiLife sucks. I manage to sleep up to 4 hours, but mostly about 3.5 when it slides off the back of my head and I end up taking it off. I find that I am so at ease with the nasal pillow and do not even feel the rush of air like I did with a face mask. The one thing I need in a nasal mask is for my face to be free of anything putting pressure on me or covering my eye/view.

I have researched some chin straps and a couple look good, but I need the right headgear to wear over it so it does not slip and hopefully it wont need readjusting every night like the Optilife.

Please either respond here with the suggestions or send me a PM. I am going back to the Doctors for my 4 week check on the 14th and would like to go in with a request for one or two different ones that I can try.

Thanks everyone...and without the help of everyone here, I would not have gotten this far.

nanwilson

Re: Suggestions for a the best Nasal Pillow/Chin Strap

Post by nanwilson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm

If you want to keep your headgear from slipping the fix is velcro .
Not what you think You take two one inch bits of the "scratchie" side and attach it to the inside of the strap that slips. Make sure its the scratchie side and not the soft side, it kinda sticks to your hair, but not bad enough to pull it out. I have put it on all of the headgear I have used so far and had no problems.
Cheers
N
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm

There was a OptiLife Fix topic viewtopic/t27233/An-Optilife-fix.html
I would look at that. I wish I would have seen it before now. I am going to try it tonight.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

sister

Post by sister » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote="Kahfree"] The one thing I need in a nasal mask is for my face to be free of anything putting pressure on me or covering my eye/view I need the right headgear to wear over it so it does not slip and hopefully it wont need readjusting every night

Hi Kahfree,\
Let me recommend the Comfortlite 2 nasal mask.I have tried so many and keep coming back to the Comfortlite2 because nothing touches the face except a very small area below the nose and you can very easyly cover that so nothing touches the face!
There is no adjusting whatsoever after the first time,you just put it on and go to sleep.
I really love it because I have severe allergies and cannot stand anything touches my face.
#1 no adjusting straps
#2 no pressure points
#3 no mask marks
#4 perfect for side sleeping,no problem at all snuggling down in pillow
#5 hose goes over head out of the way
#6 mask or straps never move as you sleep
I hope this helps!
Best of luck to you!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

If you tolerated the Optilife you are a better person than me. I used it during titration and for short while initially on treatment.
The chin strap on the Optilife is really designed more for mask stability than to be used to keep mouth shut. Though it will help with some mouth opening issues if there are not huge.

If you want to stick with the nasal pillow type the Swift LT and the Swift FX have minimal stuff on the face and once you get the headgear tightened to suit you there is no need to keep changing it. Just stretches a bit and slips right on. They offer nothing for the mouth opening issues though, even if it is minor issue. So.... either learn to keep mouth shut or secure mouth with something.

I used the Swift LT then last summer got the FX. Either will allow one handed application if needed. I fell yesterday and bummed up wrist so have to do one handed things till I get the splint off or pain lessens.

I never tried the nasal type of masks. Don't like anything touching across my nose or sinus area. So can't offer any ideas there.
I have tried some of the other nasal pillow masks. The Swift LT and Swift FX were most easily stabilized for my needs.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I went back to my Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillow mask, I like it better than my Optilife....I tried the Optilife fix and I will post how well it works in a day or so.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"