New Intellipap - Noisy??!!!! Help, please!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tomandlu

New Intellipap - Noisy??!!!! Help, please!

Post by tomandlu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I have been an Intellipap user for 1.5 yrs+. For several reasons (if you're interested, read below), I've received two new Intellipaps w/SmartFlex. They were both NOISY! The night I turned the first one on, my husband sat up in bed and asked, what was wrong with the machine, and whether he or it needed to go. He's lived w/my Intellipap since 6/2009 without complaint - this machine was noisy! So, I got a second brand new machine... it is just as noisy as the first!

Getting rid of the husband is not an option - he's a keeper in the #1 Winner class. So I got rid of my machine and went back to my broken one.

My question: has anyone else experienced this with the new Intellipaps - that they are so NOISY compared to the older models??? Argh, the low humm, and it changes pitch with with every breath... I can't stand it! Two new machines were the same.

My dilemma - the unit that I have now (I gave back both "new" units) is broken. Its auto on and auto off functions do not work and it doesn't 'auto-cpap' - it doesn't track my breathing and ramp up when I go into an apnea event (...every REM stage sleep, every night) - I can only use it in CPAP mode and it doesn't track any data. But, it is quiet. I've been using it for a couple of weeks waiting for my 'new' machine to come in.

I spent $500 on this used, (later found to be broken) unit from a local DME. I've also just upgraded (from CPAP.COM) my Smartlink and software to the 2.0 version, expecting to use it w/my new Intellipap w/SmartFlex. I want to stay with Devilbiss/Intellipap because 1) I've used it for 1.5 years and like it 2) I have the Smartlink and software, and just bought the new software so have a lot of $$ invested in Intellipap, 3) it is small and light, and I travel a lot - I appreciate this about it.

I am...... feeling so tired, frustrated, angry. Are all the new Intellipaps so noisy as these two I've received? I have so much invested in this system, I just don't want to throw it away and start over...I can't afford to throw it away and start over! I also need a machine that works with me like my old machine did... I am thinking about buying (again, out of pocket) yet again another Intellipap from cpap.com... but I'm afraid - the last two I received from my DME sounded SO LOUD - not like an Intellipap at all... has anyone else experienced this? I am angry, tired, frustrated, at my wits end...

Emilia

Re: New Intellipap - Noisy??!!!! Help, please!

Post by Emilia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Yikes! I am so sorry you are having this problem. You should return it ASAP and ask for your money back. Then go to a reputable online dealer like cpap.com or secondwindcpap.com and buy a new one that has been tested, certified, and has a warranty. I got mine from secondwind, and they don't ship until it has been taken out of the box, set to your Rx pressure(s), and tested.

Mind is so quiet, I can't even hear it! I paid $449 for both machine and humidifier from secondwind... brand new.

I hope you can get this resolved quickly. Devilbiss Marketing is a forum member who works for the company.....if you don't get any satisfaction, let her know.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Mine is not noisy at all.. occasionally my mask will make some noise (for various valid reasons), but not the machine, not unless I do something to it that shouldn't be done. It wouldn't 'blow' the other night, though made the usual machine air delivery sound, but that was because I hadn't pushed in the humidifier properly. Other than that it's been fine. So something is definitely wrong, but don't blame all IP's if you were given a lemon .

tomandlu

Post by tomandlu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm

My local DME has "offered" me two new ones to replace the defective one they sold me. Both have been MUCH noisier than my original Intellipap - which is why I am thinking Devilbiss may be making noisy units now (?) I'm now labeled 'a difficult customer' by my DME and they won't offer me a different one - use the broken machine I've got. I have a broken Intellipap from them I can run in CPAP only mode, but it isn't what I want - I want my nice quiet Auto back. Before I shell out another $500 to another company (thinking of going w/CPAP.com), but I'm afraid if I buy another "new" machine it will also be noisy and then I'll own two machines I don't want to use. I'm wondering - is there anyone out there that has gone from an "older" (e.g. 1-2 years ago) Intellipap to one of the newer ones, and if so is the new one noisy? Both of the models that I received had a very distinct, loud low humm that changed frequency with each breath. It wasn't just me that noticed it, it wasn't just my imagination and i don't think I'm an exceptionally picky or difficult customer. But two brand new machines (I watched my DME unpack them from the box) leads me to think it is a Devilbiss model issue - one could be a manufacturing issue, but two in a row? But, maybe it isn't an issue if you just bought a new machine and you've not used one before? Maybe this only affects those of us that had older machines that got used to the quiet and the new machines in comparison are noisy. Make sense?

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 pm

My machine was brand new in August...one of the first to have Smartflex. I really think either you have incredibly sensitive hearing, or you have incredibly bad luck. I would demand my $500 back and tell them in no uncertain terms you aren't accepting a machine that is broken and only works in cpap mode. That is ridiculous.

DeVilbiss IP's are considered very quiet, and our host site has a page with the comparison charts showing it comes in second to the ResMed S9 in sound. https://www.cpap.com/cpap-compare-chart/CPAP

I don't think you can blame DeVilbiss...unless they had a batch of rejected seconds that got into your DME's hands. Wouldn't put anything past DME's....

I hope you can get this resolved. Call either cpap.com or secondwindcpap.com and discuss this with them.... they know their products inside and out.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

tomandlu

Post by tomandlu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Emilia -

Did you have an Intellipap before the one you got last August w/SmartFlex? If so, is your new one noisier than your old one?

I don't think I have incredibly sensitive hearing - not when my husband is complaining about the new machine's sounds too. I am thinking the new machines are just noisier than the old machines, and I'm just stuck with all this Smartlink software (both versions!) and module now and useless machine.

I am just hesitant to buy a new machine on line - here, I've been able to return the two "new" ones to my provider easier enough. If I mail order one from CPAP, and it is the third noisy unit, then I have to ship it back even if they'll accept it: "Return On Warranty Issues Only" it says on their web page. Is "noisier than my old Intellipap" a warranty issue?

Luanne

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 am

Luanne,
No, my machine is my first ever machine, but it is almost silent, and many others on this forum who have gotten IP's recently have remarked at how quiet they are. If you viewed the link I gave you, you will see it is has an excellent sound rating...next best to ResMed.

I don't know what the answer is to your situation, but if it was I, I would call and discuss it with the RT/owner of secondwindcpap.com They are just great folks to talk with and very understanding. They believe the IP is the best machine on the market for the money and features.

Regardless, you now have a broken machine in your possession that isn't providing you with proper therapy and you paid more for that used, broken machine than I did for a brand new one. You really need to get your money back on that piece of junk.

Send a PM to DeVilbiss Marketing, a member of this forum, and tell her what your issues have been. She is a marketing rep for the company and may be able to offer you advice.

I hope you resolve this soon.

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:23 am

your "broken" intellipap sounds like it is the STANDARD.. not AUTO. No data, no apap, etc. I do not think it is broken. You could have bought a brand new auto one from cpap.com (sponsor of this site) for less then $500

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 am

I recently bought an Intellipap Auto w/Smartflex and it has the very same noise you are describing. The actual motor/fan is very quiet, but the inhale/exhale noises are a low hum that does change pitch between inhaling and exhaling.

I've played around with the flex levels and everything else, but no matter what I do, the inhale/exhale hums persist.

However, yesterday I was moving stuff around and my Intellipap ended up on a very firm pillow. When I went to use it (it's in my office--my backup and nap machine), the noises were MUCH less noticeable. That's funny, because I had tried putting a towel under it and that didn't help, but the very firm pillow did. It's one of those square accent cushions that doesn't even dent from the weight of the machine, but apparently the 2" of foam really absorb the sounds.

I could still hear the inhale/exhale tones, but I had to really listen for them.

This is the ONLY thing about this machine that isn't perfect. If these noises didn't exist, I would probably never bother replacing my S9 when it wears out--I'd just stick with the Intellipaps. Great little machine, but those hums are annoying.

Weezy

DeVilbiss Marketing

Post by DeVilbiss Marketing » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:50 am

The specification requirements for sound level on the IntelliPAP has not changed. We test all units at 10 meters and the device must achieve a 26 dBA level or better to be sold.

It is very abnormal for an end user to receive two faulty IntelliPAP units as these units have an extremely low failure rate. With that said, I do not doubt that you are experiencing a problem and it is critical that we recieve the potentially faulty units back. Part of maintaining our high quality standards is to validate and explore the root cause of all issues and ensure they are properly addressed.

It also sounds as if the unit was set-up to operate in CPAP mode. This setting can be adjusted in the Clinical Menu.

Please feel free to private message me - I want to ensure that your concerns are addressed.

tomandlu

Post by tomandlu » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks Wheezy - that sounds exactly like what I am hearing. I put in a call to Devilbiss Customer Service this morning (at the request of my DME); I'll wait to see what they say before I buy a new one.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks, DeVilbiss Marketing, for your input. Once again, you have shown me and others what a great company DeVilbiss is to have a rep willing to intervene and help end users and maintain your company's great customer service reputation!

I hope that tomandlu contacts you and the problem is resolved!

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Ditto here. A manufacturer's visible presence on this board serves the interests of both the manufacturer and the end user. Kudos for being here!

My new iPAP is awaiting me at my wife's place amongst the big drippy trees in Washington. Looking forward to my next visit in 2 weeks so I can unpack it, strap that sucker on and gauge for myself how it stacks up against my S9 Autoset. No longer will I have to lug my S9 through TSA and risk damage in the overloaded overhead compartments.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm

FWIW, i can't sleep with my S9 Autoset on the nightstand beside me. Its quiet reputation notwithstanding, I can hear it and have a hard time going to sleep. So I put it on a chair next to my bedside, and that makes all the difference.

tomandlu

Post by tomandlu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I went ahead and bought a new Intellipap from cpap.com; it works like a gem and is as quiet as my original intellipap. Its serial number is significantly higher than either of the two "new" models given to me by my local DME that were noisy. So maybe there is something else going on there. Doesn't matter for me now - I've got a new machine, I've had three good nights sleep now and I am HAPPY!