I've "Graduated"! and now comes Crapria

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DocWeezy

I've "Graduated"! and now comes Crapria

Post by DocWeezy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Saw my wonderful sleep doc again today--almost the 3 month mark since I started therapy. In addition to dealing with my OSA, we've also been working on my general insomnia problems and it looks like I'm one of the lucky ones because as I become more accustomed to apap, my other sleep issues are slowly resolving themselves. Guess a lot of my poor sleeping skills had to do with suffocating, and now that I'm not suffocating, I'm starting to sleep! Yippeeeee!

So no more doc appointments for 6 to 12 months, unless I think I need them.

However, there was one down side: The hospital where the doc is located also has a DME. I know, I know, a lot of folks here have had bad experiences with DMEs that are embedded where the sleep study was done. But this one is an exception with fabulous service and they ONLY give patients top-of-the-line ResMed and Respironics machines. The RT also spent hours with me fitting masks, but the only one I ended up liking was the Hybrid which I bought out of pocket because they don't carry it. Wah. There was some hope that they would be able to get the replacement parts for me, but since they have no other patients using it, they won't order them. Bummer.

So after checking with my insurance, it looks like I pretty much have to go through Crapria if I want 90% coverage of mask replacement parts. Wah again. I can go elsewhere, but would end up with 50% copay, and even at Crapria prices, I pay a lot less going through them. Oh well, I won't let them set me up on any automatic schedule, and I already have my machine and know what mask I like. At least I don't need to rely on them for any actual help! When I called them today, the person on the phone was so shocked that I was asking about prices, but I insisted. Took her a while to look them up, but now I know what my co-pay will be. I think she had been taken over by a zombie, because she couldn't quite understand what I was telling her:

Me: "Hi. I'd like to order replacement cushions for my Hybrid mask. I have a prescription."

Her: "You need to send us a copy of your prescription and PSG before we can give you a machine."

Me: "I don't need to send you a copy of my PSG because I already have my machine."

Her: "But we need to know what pressure to set your machine at."

Me: "I'm not asking for a machine. I HAVE one. I just want mask disposables."

Her: "Well, we need to know what type of mask you used in your sleep study."

Me: "No, you don't. I have a prescription for my choice of mask and I use a Hybrid."

Her: "But how do you know that will fit? Most people prefer a nasal mask and you receive better therapy that way." [yeah, right!]

Me: "I know I like the Hybrid BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THREE MONTHS NOW."

Her: "But we can't give you a machine without the PSG report."

Me: "I DON'T NEED A MACHINE."

Her: "We also need to make sure that the pressure on the prescription was indicated by results of the study--that's for insurance purposes." [what a bunch of crap!]

Me: "No, you don't. I have a machine. The pressures are set. Actually, I set my own pressures!"

Her: "You can't set your own pressures--you could hurt yourself and it is against the law."

Me: "No, it isn't. And I do it. It is my therapy and I have found what works. It is none of your business because I HAVE A MACHINE ALREADY and I am NOT asking you to supply one. I don't want any help or advice from you--I only want the disposables for my Hybrid mask."

Her: "Oh. You mean you really just want replacement parts?"

Me: "YES."

oh gawd....the dance begins....

HoseCrusher

Re: I've "Graduated"! and now comes Crapria

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Alright you lost me...

"Who's on first?"

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Her = Crapria representative on the phone.

I'm still so irritated I'm not thinking straight!!! If it wasn't so funny it would be pathetic....or should it be that if it wasn't so pathetic is would be funny?

Weezy

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm

LOL! Sounds like my dialogue with Apria!

viewtopic.php?p=430329#p430329

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

RDawkinsPhDMPH

Post by RDawkinsPhDMPH » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I so glad your doc at least addressed your insomnia problem... many don't bother 'cause there's not enough money in it.... or they just give you an Ambien or Lunesta or whatever.... I see it everyday (like today!!)

As for your DME ... that's about par for the course .... and a major peeve of mine about the whole sleep field... we don't work with DMEs like that .... bottom line: you should have whatever mask works, your DME should order it and stock it if you want it because someone else will also want it... also, the DME only needs your first study to qualify you for CPAP, they do NOT need your titration study (the insurance company doesn't care).... you and your doctor should be able to work together with the data from your machine and your clinical response to determine the best settings...

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Man, that's an instant classic, DocWeezy !!

Got plenty of BP meds, I hope. Even if you never needed them before.

Good luck!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435