Health Observations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mammal

Health Observations

Post by Mammal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Its Day 140 of my CPAP treatment, and I thought I would share with you some recent observations I have made, about some lesser discussed topics:

1. My Immunity System seems to have bounced back.

Pre CPAP, whenever a got a cold or flu, it would knock me out for 2-4 weeks, and I would be as crook as anything. Since CPAP, I have had 2 colds, which
I would only describe as slight, and have resolved themselves within 4 days.

2. Color of my skin.

Pre CPAP I was starting to look very jaundiced, and had very bad bags under my eyes. My skin now is starting to look pinker, particulary in my face, and
I would say 75% of the bags under my eyes has disappeared.

3. Body Hair

I have always detested body hair, and regulary shave down and get waxed. Since CPAP, my body hair growth has accelerated at a annoying rate.

4. Weight Loss

When I started CPAP, I silently prayed that I would just automatically lose weight, particulary as I had read that it had happended to some other people.
This did not happen to me in the first 3.5 months. However, it has started to happen in the last month. I can't put it down to eating, because I haven't
really changed anything there, and as far as exercise is concerned, I have only just started to do some lite exercise in the last couple of weeks.
Is the reason for the weight loss, that my body is finally starting to work properly, and no excess cortisol is flooding into my system at nite anymore?

Janknitz

Re: Health Observations

Post by Janknitz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Is the reason for the weight loss, that my body is finally starting to work properly, and no excess cortisol is flooding into my system at nite anymore?
I would venture a guess that this theory is correct.

I haven't had ANY colds since starting CPAP 9 months ago--and at the time I was coming off a very bad bout of bronchitis. Typically I get 3 or 4 colds a year, usually from my kids who pick stuff up at school. This fall, both kids had their back to school colds, but not me. YAY!

My color was aweful--I looked like grey clay. Now I'm pink again.

Unfortunately, I've gained some weight. I no longer have such bad reflux, and so I can eat more with impugnity. Gonna have to work on that!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Just had my first cold--since April 15.
Much shorter, milder. I think I'll keep this thing!

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 pm

The single thing I've noticed in my one month since starting CPAP therapy, is that not once have I needed to get up and use the bathroom. I'm still waking up briefly due to mask issues, but fall right back to sleep.

This is quite foreign to me as I've had chronic kidney disease for over almost 50years, so having to get up during the night for a bathroom visit WAS a part of my normal life.

THIS IS A MIRACLE for me.

I don't get colds, so that probably won't be an issue for me - well, I've had the flu once and 2 colds since moving to the U.S. 12 years ago. I take bee propolis which keeps a nice forcefield of protection from these nasty winter germs. My American hubby used to get a lot of colds as he works outside all year - he didn't believe in my propolis therapy, but funny thing is, he's only had one single cold in the same 12 years.

Cheers,
xena

kentoboo

Post by kentoboo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Xena, what is bee propolis?

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Bee propolis is a very concentrated ingredient that is in the 'plugs' bees use to seal up the cells in honeycomb to protect the queen and her eggs. It's a great product and I've been using it for decades, but did have trouble finding good quality propolis here in the U.S., and now get it from 2 sources.

I take it at the first sign of a 'scratchy' throat, then as a supplement between October and April to ward off colds and flu.

I'm not sure whether I can post the website addresses/links here (per the TOS), but IM me if you want them.

Cheers,
xena

kempo

Post by kempo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Good for you Mammal. I started cpap in July and for me.

1. I have not been sick.

2. I would say 50% of the bags under my eyes have disappeared.

3. No change in body hair.

4. I have lost 41LBs. It's been 30 years since I have been at my current weight.

It's good to feel good again, isn't it.

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm

You all are giving me hope!!!!

Wow...eye bags disappearing, reflux lessening, losing weight.....I hope all of those things happen to me. And if by chance more hair starts to grow, I'll deal with it and gladly!

I'm starting week 3. Would be thrilled to not catch every little cold that comes along, and I'm eagerly looking forward to actually having some energy.

Weezy

Mammal

Post by Mammal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its great to see that you all seem to be experiencing similar positive side effects, except the body hair!

It means that I am not imaging things!

As a side issue, I ran an experiment last nite, based on what I read somewhere on this website. I read that side sleepers should sleep with a slightly higher pillow. So I slept with a extra pillow under my normal pillow, but the pillow was only say 1/3rd the height of a normal pillow. Interestingly,

1. My AHI this morning was 1.4, normally it is 2.4.
2. My head felt like it was full of oxygen far more than normal, and I felt great.
3. I had no aches and pains in my shoulders, neck etc, upon waking.