Stupid Health Care Providers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MerlinSeuss

Stupid Health Care Providers

Post by MerlinSeuss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 am

I got my CPAP machine last Saturday and I have the Swift FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask. It’s a really great mask and I like it. The only problem is that I open my mouth while I sleep. I didn’t do this when I had my sleep study done, but I’ve done it almost 100% for two nights, and then who knows how much the other nights.

I decided that it would be easier to get a full-face mask instead of using the Swift FX pillows. I call the place that I got CPAP machine from and explain to them my situation (that I open my mouth while I sleep). They told me they won’t replace my mask for another two weeks and that I need to get used to my mask.

That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. First, it’s not like all of a sudden I’m going to “get used” to my mask and stop breathing through my mouth. Second, it runs me awfully close to my 30-day replacement thing they told me about (Maybe that’s their plan).

Does anyone know if the replacement is something Resmed (Manufacture) does, or is the 30-day replacement something the place you get the mask from does? It seems almost everyone offers this. Maybe I can try complaining to Resmed too if the 30-day is a manufacture thing.

It’s frustrating on the stupidity on the place that I got it from. My insurance covers replacements on all consumables (mask, hoses, etc.) 100%, every three months.

The only threat I have left is that my wife needs a CPAP machine and she hasn’t gotten hers. I can at least tell the place, “Replacement my mask or we aren’t getting her machine here”.

Merlin

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Stupid Health Care Providers

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 am

Be firm with them. they have to be reasonable--you are holding the high cards with your wife waiting to get her equipment.
Mouth breathing does NOT 'go away'--it's just a tool to get you to take an unsatisfactory mask--so they can sell you the right one later.
Do not flinch. Smile, be nice, and have their competitor on speed dial.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 am

You can try a couple of things... first, though..if you didn't open your mouth before, are you doing it now because you have congestion? You might want to try a nasal rinse before bed to clear the sinuses. Another thing to try is mouth taping or using a chin strap. Do a search using those terms and you will find more than enough information on this forum for fixes to the problem. Most can train themselves to keep their mouths shut over time... so don't give up quite yet! Good luck!!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:40 am

You should try some things to try to get used to the FX--you won't appreciate why until you try to sleep in a FF mask. Some people do OK with FF masks, but they are not easy to get used to and can be very uncomfortable. You might want to look in to chin straps and/or taping to see if it helps with the FX. Trying to work with it is not a bad idea, but ultimately, you know yourself and it's your decision.

As far as the DME, though, here's the scoop. Major manufacturers like ResMed credit DME's with masks that are returned within a 30 day window. So the DME is not out anything except time to replace your mask. They are trying to stall you out so you lose that 30 day window. If you really think you are not going to be able to use the FX, then you need to push them to change the mask NOW so that if the first FF mask doesn't work you can try yet another one. Walk in there with the mask and insist if necessary. The DME doesn't want to take the time of letting you change out mask after mask, but the mask is the most important factor in CPAP success and some people have to try mask after mask after mask to find the right one.

Furthermore, the major mask manufacturers provide DME companies with either free or very low cost sample masks for just this situation--so that people like you can try masks on at the DME and take them home to see if they work in real life to find the right mask. I'll bet a doughnut the DME did not offer to let you try their sample masks. That's because they are probably selling them out the back door to make money rather than using them for their intended purpose.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:42 am

The manufacterer will replace (or give credit) to any DME that takes back a mask within the 30 day trial period.
Be sure that you are within that period and nicely explain that you will move your business to a different DME if this current one refuses to make the exchange.

ChelseaChestnut

Post by ChelseaChestnut » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 am

I would suggest you try a chin strap first before you switch to a full face mask. No matter what you decide, your DME should be totally willing to work with you on this. I had 4 different masks in 3 weeks before I found the 1 that worked for me. My DME had absolutely no problem with any of my exchanges. If this continues to be a problem, I would highly recommend finding a new DME for your wife.

kentoboo

Post by kentoboo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:08 am

I just took my mask back after having it almost two weeks. The DME was great and very helpful. When you exchange masks the 30 day period starts over with the new mask.

MerlinSeuss

Post by MerlinSeuss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 am

I’ve known I had Sleep Apnea for probably at least a few years; I never bothered to go into the doctor for it.

This past August I had a septoplasty and sinus surgery done. This was to make sure that the mask would work for when I get my CPAP machine (even though I wasn’t diagnosed yet).

I have good airflow through my nose. It’s a like a wind tunnel going through there. I can breath so well, I can run and still not breath though my mouth.

I didn’t want to bother with taping my mouth because I knew from taping the gauze on my face after my surgery; I got a pretty bad rash from the tape (it hurt really bad).

I think you’re right, the short-term solution is to tape my mouth shut.

I think the long-term solution is to send my wife’s prescription some place else. I was thinking of cpap.com. Has anyone tried them? They seem ok from their website.
I’m thinking perhaps I should have just started there to begin with. Being new, I wanted a place local. I thought I could just “walk in” and be on my way. I thought I could just drive to the store, pickup my mask, and have it ready to go tonight. Since it appears I have to go through a bunch of bullsh*t, it seems like mail order is just as good. If I have to wait, I might as well be waiting to help a family run business.

Merlin

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:22 am

CPAP.COM is the sponsor of this message board. A great many people on this board have purchased from them. They will match prices.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Just keep in mind that cpap.com is a cash business... aka they don't deal with insurance. They will provide you the forms to submit to your insurance however.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:32 pm

And your insurance may - or may NOT reimburse you. Its worth a call to your insurance to ask if they will reimburse you if you go "out of network" and pay out of pocket like that.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:48 pm

I'll go with you to get your mask replaced. I have a way of making them hard-heads understand!! Let me know!!

Sheriff

MerlinSeuss

Post by MerlinSeuss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I guess it’s tape for tonight.

My wife called this afternoon and they were like, “No, you have to wait two weeks”. I guess we’re going to have to do something. The longer they make me wait, the more time I have to think things through, and go in for the kill.

My wife remembered they said that our unit is a rental unit and that the insurance company rents it. When it’s paid for we “own it” and it takes a year for this to happen. – Seems like a car lease sorta. She was wondering if we can take it back? I wonder what the insurance company would think? Has anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if I can just take the unit back, being as it’s “rented” and then get it some place else? I know I have to double check with my insurance, but I’d like other’s input. I have two weeks to investigate.

It’s worth a try to see if my insurance will reimburse me for cpap.com. I’m sure they will tell me before I buy the stuff from cpap.com. My wife is a teacher and has one of those dreaded Cadillac insurance plans, so until ObamaCare fully kicks in, I’m safe.

I don’t think I’m being all that unreasonable asking to try a different mask out, I only tried one, especially when they get them FREE from the manufacture. I could understand if they took a $200 hit every time they gave out a new mask, but when they get them FREE, it makes my start to think there’s some fraud involved.

Merlin

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 pm

I think it is absolutely unconscionable of the DME to refuse to swap your mask for a FF mask, Merlin, now that you've found out you mouthbreathe during your sleep. CPAP therapy is difficult enough for people to do at all -- mainly due to mask issues. The DME supposedly is the one that works with a person, especially at the beginning, to help get a person set up right. Given that ResMed pushes, pushes, PUSHES the idea that DMEs give extra support to the cpap user, compared to what ResMed "says" is lack of support from online vendors, I'd be calling ResMed to tell them about the lack of support in dealing with THEIR (ResMed's) mask that you've been getting from your DME, Merlin.

Not that it will do any good to contact ResMed with your complaint. But I'd call 'em anyway.

I'd also call my doctor's office and ask the doctor's office to intercede, to try to make the DME "do right." The DME might sit up and take notice of a doctor's office telling them to swap your mask. The doctor's office is the source of some of their future customers.
Still might not do any good. Worth a try, anyway.

In the meantime... about tape...

Some brands or types of tape cause a rash for me and some don't. Each person is different. Perhaps you can find a tape that doesn't bother you.

LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:28 pm

MerlinSeuss wrote:First, it’s not like all of a sudden I’m going to “get used” to my mask and stop breathing through my mouth.
No, not all of a sudden, but it COULD happen over time. No one here will say it will happen, but I think most agree it could happen. For some folks getting used to a mask takes weeks, or even months sometimes.