Getting bad headaches during treatments

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
perchance2dream

Getting bad headaches during treatments

Post by perchance2dream » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi I am really new to this, only been doing it for 2 weeks. so new in fact I don't fully know the equipment I use but will check and change my status when I get home. The question is I used to wake up with dull headaches now about 2-3 hours into my nights sleep I get a terrible headaches the pain is such that it alone wakes me up. When I stop the CPAP then the headache goes away. Has anyone out there had simular experiences? Any suggestions? I have the last couple of nights tried taking a tylenol before bed but for the most part it has not helped.

Thanks for any info in advance.
Joanne

OutaSync

Re: Getting bad headaches during treatments

Post by OutaSync » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:16 pm

You need to talk to your doctor about that. CPAP shouldn't be giving you headaches.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

It's important to know what mask you're using, whether you're making it too tight, especially around the back of your neck, and what pressure your machine is set at. Are you using the ramp feature?

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Well, I have woken up a number of times with rather nasty headaches in the middle of the night, including on my second titration study. But mine seem to be some variation on a migraine (yes, it's been reported) complete with aura on that titration study. So I'm not willing to blame them on the CPAP/BiPAP. And I really can't imagine how CPAP/BiPAP might be a migraine trigger for me either for what it's worth.

To the OP:

In addition to the obvious---report the problem to the doctor because it does seem unusual, check and recheck the mask and headgear to make sure they're not too tight, and make sure those exhaust vents are not blocked by the bedcovers or bed pillows---what's your previous history with headaches of various types? Any chance the tension and stress of adjusting to CPAP is triggering an older problem with headaches to manifest itself in a newer fashion?

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Joanne, Where is your headache? I'm not a health professional, but wondering if it could be sinus if the ache is above or below your eyes. Had a little trouble there when I first started pap, but after a few weeks this body adjusted. However, the intensity you describe is much greater than my slight discomfort. Hope you get answers that work for you very soon! Call your Dr. please.
Cindy

sol

Post by sol » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 am

As been suffering from chronic headache prior to cpap , had the same problem you described getting up with headache which am not sure if it is pressure related.