OT: Cancer and the incredible sweet potato

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ameriken

OT: Cancer and the incredible sweet potato

Post by ameriken » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Got sweet potato?

My wife and I have started eating sweet potatos because we've heard a lot about their anti-cancer properties and thought I'd pass this on. Asians already know this is a good food for many reasons, including fighting cancer, and it appears that studies are confirming that it is an excellent food for it's anti=cancer properties. I read in another place that it contributes about 30% less toward your blood sugar than a regular white potato. Of all the sweet potatoes, it looks like the best is the 'purple' sweet potato.

I don't know if you'll also want to add it to your diet, but all I know is, I yam what I yam.
http://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleas ... 12210.html

Monday, Nov. 22, 2010

PURPLE SWEET POTATOES TURN PIE INTO POSSIBLE CANCER-FIGHTING FOOD

MANHATTAN -- Nutrition scientists at Kansas State University could be accused of carrying Purple Pride to extremes. But the purple sweet potato pies they created for Thanksgiving were a practical application of research.

The story of Purple Pride Sweet Potato Pie starts with a sweet potato breeder named Ted Carey.

Carey was a horticulture professor at K-State before he moved to Ghana to work with the International Potato Center.

At K-State, Carey got seeds from purple sweet potato parent plants from the potato center's germplasma bank in Peru. He stuck the seeds in fertile Kansas soil. When they grew, he cloned the most colorful ones.

Enter George Wang, research scientist in K-State's department of human nutrition.

The bright purple color meant the potatoes were loaded with anthocyanin, a pigment associated with reduced risk of cancer. Cancer preventative nutrition is Wang's specialty. Did the potatoes have anticancer abilities? He decided to find out.

His research attracted Soyoung Lim, doctoral candidate in human nutrition from Korea, and Tzu-Yu Chen, master's student in human nutrition from Taiwan.

They found that purple sweet potatoes have a significantly higher anthocyanin content and more antiaging and antioxidant components than other sweet potatoes.

Lim also found that two anthocyanin derivatives -- cyanidin and peonidin -- inhibit human colon cancer cell growth in the cultured human colorectal cancer cells.

The purple sweet potato harvest in Kansas was a good one this year. Jason Griffin at the K-State John C. Pair Horticultural Center near Wichita sent 400 pounds of the special spuds to Wang's lab.

The team decided to turn the bumper crop into people food. Could purple sweet potato pie become the next big functional food?

The team traded test tubes for pie pans for a day.

"Our research is focused on cancer prevention," Wang said. "We hope to translate our discovery from lab to humans. The pies could be used to test bioavailablity of anthocyanins in humans.

"I hope we can promote a health food for functional cancer prevention."

The test pies, made using recipes formulated with the help of Delores Chambers, associate professor of human nutrition, were a success with taste-testers around the College of Human Ecology.

"They were impressed by the unique color as well as the great taste. Some even suggested we sell the pies at football games since the color represents K-State," Lim said.

The naturally bright purple pie is healthier than regular sweet potato or pumpkin pie.

"Pumpkins and orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids -- vitamin A precursors. But the purple potatoes have higher levels of anthocyanins, dietary fiber and vitamins. And they are naturally sweeter, so we can cut down on the sugar content," Lim said.

After testing pies, the lab still had 395 pounds of potatoes. So Lim took orders. Then she assembled her research team -- Linette Ngaba, senior in dietetics, Junction City; Tzu-Yu Chen, master's student in human nutrition, Taiwan; and Jaeyong Kim, visiting scholar in human nutrition -- and baked more than 40 pies.

Purple Pride Sweet Potato Pies sold for $10 each. Profits will go into a Kansas State University Foundation fund to support student travel and research.

In the future Chambers will lead sensory tests on the pies at the Sensory Analysis Center

Purple sweet potatoes are not on the market yet, so Purple Pride Sweet Potato Pies aren't on grocery stores shelves. But the potential is there, and Wang, Lim and the research team are confident they can prove the power of the purple pies.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

ameriken

Re: OT: Cancer and the incredible sweet potato

Post by ameriken » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 pm

From the American Institute for Cancer Research
http://aicr.convio.net/site/News2?page= ... abbr=pr_hf_

Sweet Potatoes Are Always WinnersBy Dana Jacobi
for the American Institute for Cancer Research

The calendar says spring is here. Baseball fans, ready for the March 31st major league season opener, already are estimating batting averages for the new season. About baseball, nearly all I know is that no one bats 1.000; even achieving .333 is admirable.

In the kitchen though, sweet potatoes nail that 1.000 mark with ease. All-around champion and winner of the most valuable player award, sweet potatoes are nutrient-dense and fiber-rich, have a low glycemic index, are easy to use, great tasting, and can play every position from scones at breakfast to steak-cut fries served under the lights.

Sweet potatoes are switch-hitters. Effortlessly, they shine in every spot in the line-up, from top of the batting order in soup to playing clean-up in a pie, pudding, even an elegant crème brulée for dessert. Play them in any weather, too – in cool, summery salads as well as hot casseroles.

Sweet potatoes also welcome being traded, ethnically speaking. Enjoy them in this Asian-flavored soup, purée them as Southern comfort alongside collards and pork chops, turn them into Italian gnocci or simmer them in a Moroccan tagine. Sweet potatoes are even okay with being assigned a different "uniform number." Even though botanically sweet potatoes, they are often called yams, or maybe Garnet or Jewel, and they still deliver like a champion. (True yams are actually an unrelated starchy African tuber.)

Finally, wherever they are grown in the United States, from the southeast to California, all sweet potatoes are native American. So let’s do the wave for orange, yellow and almost white-fleshed sweet potatoes. Here’s to a winning season for your favorite sweet potato team.

Spicy Sweet Potato Bisque

4 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp. green or red Thai curry paste
2 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes (Garnet, Jewel or Louisiana), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 cup water
1/2 cup regular or reduced-fat coconut milk
1/ 4 cup orange juice
Salt and ground black pepper
1 lime, zested for garnish
Pour 1/4 cup of broth into large, deep saucepan. Add onion and garlic, set over medium-high heat, and cook until onion is translucent, 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger, jalapeño, and curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and most of the moisture has evaporated, 2 minutes.

Add remaining broth to pot. Add sweet potatoes and 1 cup water. Bring liquid to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook, covered, until sweet potatoes are soft, 20 minutes. Uncover and let soup cool for 10 minutes.

Using immersion blender, puree until soup is pulpy. Add coconut milk and orange juice, and puree until soup is velvety smooth. Or, puree soup in blender; this may require two batches, with half juice and coconut milk added to each batch. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

To serve, divide soup among 6 wide, shallow bowls. Garnish each serving with about 1/4 teaspoon of grated lime zest. Serve hot or lukewarm.

Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups per serving; makes 8 1/2 cups).

Per serving: 238 calories, 5 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrate,
7 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 155 mg sodium.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Sserving size is too large for me (too many carbs) but I'll have a smaller portion -- sounds yummy!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

kempo

Post by kempo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I was raised on sweet taters and as far as I know I'm cancer free.

Last edited by kempo on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm

I love them....but if you have family members that say they don't like sweet potatoes....and you want them to eat them anyway for the anti-cancer effects....you can mix them into soups. I mash them and work them into the chicken stock and no one is the wiser!

"Knowledge is power."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 pm

SleepyT wrote:I love them....but if you have family members that say they don't like sweet potatoes....and you want them to eat them anyway for the anti-cancer effects....you can mix them into soups. I mash them and work them into the chicken stock and no one is the wiser!
Yes in the slow cooker in curries they just disappear too. My housemate introduced me to them. She puts it in all sorts of things. But tonite she simmered them with apples to go with the BBQed steaks and skewered bbq'd onions. Delicious. Normally we don't do steak but my other housemate went shopping and he was seduced by the sight of raw red meat.

This combined food and cooking is working well now. We all eat much better. We weaned him of the pizza pockets and mac & cheese. After all he saw that with the cost of 3 pizza pocket boxes we could make pork curry for 3 big meals for 3. Which tasted much better. He puts in more money and he gets fed good food. Curries, stews, home made bread and pizzas, peach cobbler, muffins .... he has never had it so good. He now jokes that he has a cooking harem.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

VVV

Post by VVV » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm

As kids we ate them raw with nothing added. Don't know why we liked them so much because they have little flavor raw. Or maybe at my age the taste buds don't get it anymore.

If I had gnawed on one every day as soon as I had teeth, I suspect my jaw would be larger and I would not have sleep apnea.
BlackSpinner wrote: Yes in the slow cooker in curries they just disappear too.
Ah, sounds great in curries. I guess you cook them and mash them first?

Here is a great recipe my wife favors at Thanksgiving, Christmas and a few other special occasions:
Senator Russell's Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/3 ... 9020.shtml
Tastes great but there is two cups of sugar.
.....................................V

VVV

Post by VVV » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Oh, I see many sweet potato curry recipes http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet+po ... 1I7SUNA_en

Got to work through them and find one or two to try soon.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

I had one for dinner this evening. Nothing more. Sweet potato with coconut oil. Yum!

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 pm

VVV wrote:Oh, I see many sweet potato curry recipes http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet+po ... 1I7SUNA_en

Got to work through them and find one or two to try soon.
Yes they work great in curries. We brown the meat and put everything else raw in the slow cooker, vegies on the bottom. The slow cooker uses less liquid so you use about half what is in a regular dish. Plus you then go away and work in the garden or go shopping or go to work and 6 hours later there is a hot meal. Once you stir it up the sweet potato falls apart and helps make a thick sauce. The slow cooker also doesn't heat up your kitchen the way 2 hours of oven at 350 will.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

VVV

Post by VVV » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:05 pm

We are here to improve our health and help others improve their health. I would not mark this thread OT.

CPAPers also have to eat. Air, liquids, and food must go through the same radically engineered passage.

mgrunk

Post by mgrunk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm

I loathed sweet potatoes until I tried spicy sweet potato fries. I use a little oil with a few tbs brown sugar, then cayenne pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste. I line a baking pan with foil and then roast them off. The brown sugar caramelized and adds a bit crunch. There's not much oil (I use olive oil). But it's the cayenne that really makes them taste better.
Michelle
Machine - IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine w/ humidifer and SmartFlex
Mask - Mirage Quattro
Software - SmartLink

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 pm

mgrunk wrote:I loathed sweet potatoes until I tried spicy sweet potato fries. I use a little oil with a few tbs brown sugar, then cayenne pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste. I line a baking pan with foil and then roast them off. The brown sugar caramelized and adds a bit crunch. There's not much oil (I use olive oil). But it's the cayenne that really makes them taste better.
We do that too without the sugar. We use salt pepper, paprika, chopped garlic, fine chopped onion bits, oregano, basil and just enough olive oil to make the stuff stick. I prefer parchment paper to foil.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Unfortunately, when I was a kid I remember one Thanksgiving where my aunt served sweet potatoes with brown sugar. I tried it, hated it, and never ever ate sweet potatoes again. It wasn't until recently when my wife simply boiled the potatoes, lightly sweetened the water they were in, and served them just like that, telling me 'it's good for preventing cancer'. I still am not a big fan but I can get it down now, and the anti-cancer properties are a big motivator. Never cared much about that kind of stuff before but now that I am in my fifties I am finally open to ways to make the future a healthier and better one.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I had a baked sweet tater with my oven baked chicken for dinner tonight..... Love them! Lots of fiber in them too.....

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.