S9 versus Intellipap>> opinions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
engrdad

S9 versus Intellipap>> opinions

Post by engrdad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

Well, my Respironics M Series APAP finally crapped out after 3 years. I travel a good bit and was thinking of trying a different machine. I have narrowed it down to the Resmed S9 or the Intellipap after doing some web research. Would like to get some opinions (pros/ cons, etc) from you ladies and gents on this. Thanks....

brain_cloud

Re: S9 versus Intellipap>> opinions

Post by brain_cloud » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 am

You'll like them both. I had both. But if you are interested in going deep into the data, the Resmed software allows you to in a way that the Intellipap doesn't (or didn't). The Intellipap software lays it out for you, but you can't really drill down into the details at whatever scale you want like the Rescan software allows.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 pm

The S9's you want: Elite or Autoset--Autoset is the more versatile, being an auto-cpap, which will also run in cpap mode.
The S9's you do not want: anything with 'Escape' in the name.
This is the entry level machine with compliance data only--even on the Escape Auto. --you want to escape from the Escape.
Don't let them bamboozle you.
You say you travel--the Intellipaps have an optional ($24.95) 12 volt cord, which the S9's probably never will.

DHC

Post by DHC » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 pm

engrdad wrote:Well, my Respironics M Series APAP finally crapped out after 3 years. I travel a good bit and was thinking of trying a different machine. I have narrowed it down to the Resmed S9 or the Intellipap after doing some web research. Would like to get some opinions (pros/ cons, etc) from you ladies and gents on this. Thanks....
You will find a fair amount of information comparing the two units in this topic -- viewtopic/t56345/ResScan-UnderReporting ... g-or-.html

To some extent (and maybe to a LARGE extent) it depends on whether you are paying for the machine out of your own pocket, or insurance picks up the costs.

Right now, I am using the IntelliPAP on a daily basis rather then the S9 Autoset. I very much like the fact the DeVilbiss algorithm prioritizes gradual pressure changes and delivers the lowest possible pressures with the set range - as opposed to the MUCH more aggressive algorithm in the S9 which results in lots of pressure changes throughout the night.

Another poster mentioned the depth of data available in ResScan versus SmartLink - and that is true. I wish the IntelliPAP would produce wave form data like the S9 produces.

Both devices are, IMO, outstanding.

Good luck

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Between those two brands, I'd choose the ResMed S9. Mainly for the reason (the detailed software data) brain_cloud mentioned.

Also because of what ozij has written -- she has used both machines with their software.

ozij would be the first to say that any particular brand/model autopap may suit one person well, but not suit another person at all. And, that it's best to try different brands if one can. Easier said than done, of course.

Links to some posts by ozij:

viewtopic.php?p=433453#p433453

viewtopic.php?p=379882#p379882

viewtopic.php?p=382899#p382899

viewtopic.php?p=383169#p383169
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

engrdad

Post by engrdad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Sincere thanks for the input. After reading the replies and associated posts, I believe I will go for the S9 Autoset. I would like to request one more bit of information. When I originally got my first machine, someone (perhaps RestedGal) posted the specific information that should be on the script. I need to get this information to my doctor within the next day or two. Since I have met my catastrophic insurance deductible for the year, insurance will cover 100% of the cost. So the question is.... what should be specified on the script?

S9 Autoset CPAP Machine
Climate Controlled Heated Humidifier
ClimateLine Heated Tubing
Software????
Nasal, pillow or Full-Face Mask of patients choosing

Thanks....

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:17 pm

software... very few if any insurance people will cover it.

DHC

Post by DHC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:12 pm

engrdad wrote:Sincere thanks for the input. After reading the replies and associated posts, I believe I will go for the S9 Autoset. I would like to request one more bit of information. When I originally got my first machine, someone (perhaps RestedGal) posted the specific information that should be on the script. I need to get this information to my doctor within the next day or two. Since I have met my catastrophic insurance deductible for the year, insurance will cover 100% of the cost. So the question is.... what should be specified on the script?

S9 Autoset CPAP Machine
Climate Controlled Heated Humidifier
ClimateLine Heated Tubing
Software????
Nasal, pillow or Full-Face Mask of patients choosing

Thanks....
Our hosts have some terrific information and even a prescription form that worked great for me. Here is the link to the PDF form -- http://c0149421.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... on-LMN.pdf, and link to their Prescription information page -- https://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Prescriptions.html.

nrei

Post by nrei » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 am

engrdad,

Glad you asked your question! I'm in the same position of figuring out which to get and having met my deductible this year. Also looking at Intellipap Auto vs. S9 (or even S8) autoset. I hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread with a couple questions.

brain_cloud: I heard the Rescan 3.10 software is hard to get. I can't seem to find a source. (I'm also wondering if the SD cards for both are just standard SD cards and ANY old card reader will work. I know the Intellipap needs the module to store data.)

Sounds like many people are anti-Escape , but I just wanted to mention that in reading the myriad machine fact sheets, it looks like the Escape II Auto DOES show pressure and AHI (but not AI and HI). My basic Escape has been a trusty machine, but I now know I can obtain better therapy with other machines.

Thx.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:00 am

I see you are opting for the S9 over the Intellipap Auto..... and that is fine. One thing not mentioned here that you might want to factor into the equation.... the S9 has a power brick and the IP does not...just a cord from machine to outlet. Since you mentioned that you travel a lot, it might be a factor for you. Others here do travel with their S9's so maybe it isn't that big a deal, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Good luck with your new machine!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:52 pm

nrei wrote:Sounds like many people are anti-Escape , but I just wanted to mention that in reading the myriad machine fact sheets, it looks like the Escape II Auto DOES show pressure and AHI (but not AI and HI).
Right, nrei.

Besides no breakdown of the AHI into AI/HI, the Escape II Auto does not record leak rate, as far as I know. Leak rate is one of the most important bits of data to look at, imho.

viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

DHC

Post by DHC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm

nrei wrote:engrdad,

Glad you asked your question! I'm in the same position of figuring out which to get and having met my deductible this year. Also looking at Intellipap Auto vs. S9 (or even S8) autoset. I hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread with a couple questions.

brain_cloud: I heard the Rescan 3.10 software is hard to get. I can't seem to find a source. (I'm also wondering if the SD cards for both are just standard SD cards and ANY old card reader will work. I know the Intellipap needs the module to store data.)

Sounds like many people are anti-Escape , but I just wanted to mention that in reading the myriad machine fact sheets, it looks like the Escape II Auto DOES show pressure and AHI (but not AI and HI). My basic Escape has been a trusty machine, but I now know I can obtain better therapy with other machines.

Thx.
Re: ResScan. I was able to download the software free of charge by following a link posted here at CPAPTALK. If you look at this profile for 'Uncle_Bob' -- memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38643, and look for the link in the lower left, it will enable you to download a copy of ResScan 3.12.

Re: SD card. The IntelliPAP and the S9 Autoset both use standard SD cards. The IntelliPAP requires a Data Module (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... ystem.html) that sells for $150 if purchased separately, but if purchased along with the machine the cost was much less.

In both cases (the S9 and the IntelliPAP), I remove the SD card from the machine, and insert it into a SD slot built into my laptop, and it downloads the data just fine. In other words, any SD slot on your desktop or laptop should work for reading the data from either machine.

Re: Travel Configuration (per Emilia's comment). The IntelliPAP has a much nicer, and smaller, travel setup than my older Respironics M-Series, or the ResMed S9 Autoset. As Emilia pointed out, there is no separate power brick - just a simple cord to pack. The IntelliPAP will work on either US standard 120 v or international 220 v using that power cord (with appropriate plug adapter, of course). Further, DeVilbiss has a 'compression' zipper feature in their travel case that I really like. It allows you to pack your hose and mask into the case, and then when zipping them, it compresses them (without damaging anything) into a more compact size. I packed a regular 6 ft. hose and a Quattro full-face mask and compressed them using this feature with no problems whatsoever. The travel size of the IntelliPAP is considerably smaller than the travel size of the S9 - though neither are terribly big - and both are about the same weight.

I hope this helps.