Exhale Puff Index

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dazed Indian

Exhale Puff Index

Post by Dazed Indian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 am

I use a Intellipap CPAP and my AHI index has come down from 58 to 4 in 8 weeks of therapy, but my data shows exhale puff index constantly
as 31/hr. Can u help me how to control this? and what are the implications of this index?

Leaving alone this portion life quality has changed dramatically for the better and would never like to leave CPAP therapy

snnnark

Re: Exhale Puff Index

Post by snnnark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:39 am

Hey Dazed, welcome!

The EPI tells you that you may be mouth breathing. That's not so good cos it means you may be losing therapy air through your mouth.

But before we make that assumption we need to know what mask you are using. Can you fill in your equipment details (preferably in text) in the control panel (under the search block). Then we can offer better suggestions!

beckah

Post by beckah » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm

I would like an opinion as to the cause of excessive exhale puffs too. I use nasal pillows, tape my mouth, use a chin strap and still record a lot of exhale puffs some nights. I use the IntelliPap also.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Wow... that a high number. My EPI is always below 1...usually 0.0 - 0.5. I'd say you definitely have some mouth leaks going on. Please go to the User Control Panel and choose Profile and then Edit Equipment and then choose your gear from the pull down menus. Choose to show them in TEXT. This way we can all see what you are using every time you post.

Once we know what mask you use, those with the same mask can offer the best advice on how to tweak things to stop the leaks.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

metooalso

Post by metooalso » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Maybe 'chipmonk-cheeks' are shown as exhale puffs....DeVilbiss?

Dazed Indian

Post by Dazed Indian » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:19 am

updated my profile

snnnark

Post by snnnark » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 am

Ok, you have nasal pillows.
Do you experience dry mouth during the night or in the morning when you wake?
What are your leak results?

DeVilbiss Marketing

Post by DeVilbiss Marketing » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes, those are puff's that are coming out of your mouth. You might want to try to a full face mask.

cul8rv8

Post by cul8rv8 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 pm

What would cause an Exhale Puff Index number with a full-face mask? Mine aren't as high as what was listed above, so I feel better about it now, but I just started my CPAP therapy over this past weekend, and I'm seeing it listed as around 5 or 6 per hour every night.

I have found that so far, every night I have woken up after about 3 or 4 hours, at which point I take off my mask, go to the bathroom, then get back in bed. I find if I don't get up and move around, even if only for a minute or two, I cannot get comfortable. I do have auto-off set on mine, and I just take the mask off and let it shut itself off. Could this be causing these numbers? Due to the size of my bedside table, I had to basically put the machine out of reach from my bed so that my alarm clock and cell phone are within reach (I need my phone close by so I can answer work calls when I am on-call).

Also, as I said, I have only been using my CPAP for 4 nights now, so I am still trying to get used to it, so I may be worrying about nothing.