ResMed S9 Giving Me Dry Mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jednick

ResMed S9 Giving Me Dry Mouth

Post by jednick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I've been using a nasal pillow mask since I started CPAP therapy three years ago on my original machine, a RemStar. Even though I'm using a nasal mask, my mouth would dry out within a few minutes, so I started using Biotene or Stoppers spray at bedtime. These provided enough moisture until I fell asleep and either didn't notice or the humidifier warmed up enough to deliver moistened air. Now that I switched to the ResMed S9, the dry mouth is more of a problem. The humidifier is using water, so I know it's working. I'm using the ClimateLine hose and the "auto" setting. I started with a temperature of 80 but slowly worked up to the maximum, 86 degrees. That's comfortable, but didn't do anything to help the dry mouth. Frankly, I don't know why my mouth gets dry with a nasal mask (yes my mouth stays shut)! I'm wondering if the S9 humidifier takes longer to get up to temperature than the old machine. Has anyone else had this problem with the S9?

cflame1

Re: ResMed S9 Giving Me Dry Mouth

Post by cflame1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:15 pm

how would you know that your mouth stays shut while you're sleeping?

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm thinking your mouth must be opening, otherwise how is your mouth drying out?
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 pm

What kind of chin strap are you using?

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm with jonnybee. I bet your mouth, or at least your lips, are opening and you're not aware of it. FWIW, most folks report the default 80F with the ClimateLine is too hot/too humid. I feel suffocated breathing in the hot humid air. I dropped the temp to 76 to 78F and that seems to work best for me.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jednick

Post by jednick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 am

Let me put it a different way: my mouth dries out before I fall asleep. I suppose I could drop the temp lower like Slarty mentioned and see if that makes a difference.

jednick

Post by jednick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Slartybartfast, thanks for the suggestion about dropping the temperature. That seemed to help for the rest of the night. I'll see how it goes from here on.

sleepyLeeVee

Post by sleepyLeeVee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

When the S9 Autoset has the Home display, turn the knob and the display should change to the humidity level screen. Underneath the humidity level it should also show warm up. Push the center of the knob, for 3 seconds, and the machine will go into warm up mode. As for the dry mouth, my two cents worth is, it must be opening at some point.

jednick

Post by jednick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 am

sleepyLeeVee wrote:When the S9 Autoset has the Home display, turn the knob and the display should change to the humidity level screen. Underneath the humidity level it should also show warm up. Push the center of the knob, for 3 seconds, and the machine will go into warm up mode.
I don't think that can be done in Auto mode, can it?

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:33 am

jednick wrote:I don't think that can be done in Auto mode, can it?
Yes, it definitely works... I use the warmup feature every night.

Cheers,

Bill

erjohns

Post by erjohns » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:21 am

I'm having the same issue and I have a full mask. Would a chin strap help me as well?

Big S

Post by Big S » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am

Do you sleep on your back? When I do, I get dry mouth. When sleeping on my side I don't typically get it. I am usually a mouth breather.

trytryagain

Post by trytryagain » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 am

I had the same issue last night. I had my machine set on auto with the climateline hose. I woke up in the middle of the night parched. I swear I felt like my mouth had been glued shut, but who knows maybe it did open. I will try lowering them temp/humidity tonight. The water reservoir was almost emptied overnight.

foggy

Post by foggy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:10 am

I would suggest using the ResScan software. It will show if you are leaking during the night. (Pm me if you need a link) Getting a proper fit is all trial and error. The more info you have, the better. Lower temps worked for me. I also stopped using the chin strap and found the looser the nasal pillows the better. Today, I have virtually no leaks, but that's just me. Keep tweaking!

jednick

Post by jednick » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:39 am

billbolton wrote:
jednick wrote:I don't think that can be done in Auto mode, can it?
Yes, it definitely works... I use the warmup feature every night.

Cheers,

Bill
By golly, you're right! Thanks, Bill.